4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Thoughts
**SPOILERS INCLUDED**
I've been impressed with this series, especially as compared to the last few years of SW writing. A few books have stood out, but not many. Thus far, this series has managed to convey action and character and a serious threat without too many snafus.

Published on June 16, 2007 by L. Tolis

2.0 out of 5 stars A Mediocre Legacy
Let me start out by saying that I love that the Star Wars Universe lives on in books - the characters age, earth-shattering stories and adventures continue, new players join the scene. I will probably keep buying Star Wars books as long as they keep pumping them out.

Published on July 16, 2007 by S. H. Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars A Mediocre Legacy, July 16, 2007

However, I have to say that this series, and particularly this book, has been subpar and somewhat of a disappointment. There are some incredibly powerful themes to be mined here (son against parents/mentors, government against the individual, contrasting moralities and more), and Traviss (and the other authors who have contributed books to the series as well) only comes away with a few nuggets while bypassing the mother lode. But as I read further into the series, I can't help but ask: Are our favorite characters really this dumb? Is a government in control of thousands of planetary systems, supposedly a democracy, really this corrupt and stupid? (Sure, they could be making parallels to the current administration, but I really feel like it's out of place in the Star Wars universe.) Did these books really make it all the way through the editing process with no one noticing the gigantic plot holes, unfulfilled promises or flimsy premises that are abandoned as soon as the story moves on to the next plot point?

What it comes down to is that the favorite son of the Jedi, Jacen, turns dark, really dark, for pretty flimsy reasons. All of the signs are there, but no one can stop him, due to rampant ignorance, stupidity and failure to communicate. There have to be better plot devices than this to get to the same place, but none of the authors in this series have managed to stumble upon them.

It gets tiring reading a book with timeless characters who have been with you since childhood and seeing them act in ways that are totally out of character, and just plain stupid. Plus, for a book called "Sacrifice" the sacrifice that Jacen ends up making is not one of any real emotional significance - he'd already effectively cut off ties with that person and what they represented long before coming down to the actual act. Gone is the soul-searching, knowledge-craving Jacen of the NJO (and to a lesser extent, Hive Wars), and in his place is a poorly thought out, weakly motivated caricature. Good game.

The only redeeming quality about this book is Traviss' attention to Boba Fett and the Mandalorians, which really has very little bearing on the rest of the plot. Fett profits from events the other characters have set in motion, and while he did play a small role earlier in the series, at this point, his parts of the book can be read completely independently and have no effect on your understanding (or head-scratching due to) the main plot.

Go ahead and buy this book if you want to see what happens in the series (and find out who Jacen finally "sacrifices"). There are some well-written scenes, and chapters, but much of the time you'll have a hard time suspending disbelief. Good thing the writing isn't very challenging to read and you can get through it quickly. Here's hoping the rest of the series (4 books to go, I believe) can accomplish something praise-worthy. Perhaps getting some bigger-name authors with stronger writing/plot advancement skills would help for the next 'blockbuster' series, if there are any worthwhile characters or stories to work with by then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Darth-Who, Boba-Mando special, and Wide-eyed surprise, June 1, 2007
The book itself was good, the Legacy story continues to move along in a way that continues to hold my interest captive and thrill me. There was ALOT of hype built up for this book...two of only three hardcovers of the series, Darth-Who is revealed, and you can just feel that something BAD is about to happen that is going to throw things into whack, like who or what Jacen's sacrifice would be.

Overall the story moved nicely, but I was a little dissapointed as little action really took place. There were fights sure, but this was more like one of the 'drama' and plot points kind of books in a series. Battles weren't fought with clashing sabers or in space, but within the mind and hearts of the characters, which is cool...whatever floats your boat.

Someone on a Star Wars forum board hit the nail on the head MONTHS ago about this book, they said, 'Expect a hardcover book about Mando's/Boba Fett with a little Jedi and a twist about Jacen'. Even though Jacen and Ben got a healthy portion of the book, I couldn't help but feel Boba and the Mando's were center stage. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what Karen Traviss is doing, she's single-handedly cleaned up the EU about Boba and Mando's and made them interesting and important again. Though as important as their part was in the book and setting up for future events, I feel they kind of stole the spotlight a little.

One major gripe, at what point did the authors feel it was necessary to make up Star wars versions of cursewords? Why did they feel compelled to make the characters curse SO MUCH?? I can't see Luke or Mara saying the cross match for 'F'ing', it just seems...wrong and trashy. It's Star Wars! 'Family Feel'? A Sci-Fi/Fantasy adventure of wonder...Star Wars is getting to realistic for my taste lately.

I'm still trying to figure out why on earth the authors are completely excluded some characters...Jaina barely showed up near the end. Where is Lowbacca?? Oh well, at least we got Kyle Katarn again, the star wars chuck norris, Woot!

Overall a good book, lots of 'inner struggle' which seems fitting. I was a little confused about Jacen's 'Sacrifice', it didn't really fit into how I thought I understood it, but I won't spoil it for you. Not sure if it was 'hardcover' worthy but not bad...can't wait to see what Aaron A. does in the next part of the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Star Wars book but I'm reading just to find out what happens., June 22, 2007
This review will touch on the book, and then the series itself.

The book was, in my opinion, too long, slow and inconsistant. A lot of things happen, with the eventual death of three major characters (of this series), Ben discovering Jacen is Sith, and a lot of focus on Fett becoming a leader of his people, but most of it is towards the end, or the last third of the book.

Many characters are not given the normally astute intellect they are usually written with either. For instance, when Mara has a bath with Leia, in other books, Leia would be looking into the meaning of Mara's questions, make the correct deductions, grab Han and blast out into space in the Falcon and perhaps contact Luke for help. Instead, Leia gets a few lines and that's it.

Similarly, Luke is portrayed as a bit of an easily mislead dummy.

I feel that this series is taking much too long to get into Jacen's path into Sith-hood, and the resolution. The original series did the whole rise and fall and redemption of Darth Vader in 6 movies/novels. The Star Wars Legacy series isn't even half way there yet. The New Jedi Order series also took too long. I have a bad feeling that the publishers are trying to milk Star Wars for all they can and are stringing it along.

6th July 2007.

I thought I'd add on a bit.

At this moment, I am ranking about 319,000th most popular reviewer, and only 2 out of 5 readers found my review useful.

One thing I've noticed about the most useful reviews is that they tend to be very long and the majority are very positive about the product they review. Those who arent tend to get a "not useful" ranking.

Now I find the Amazon review system very good. I have mentioned it before on another review that I would not have read Tanya Huff's very good Confederation/Sergeant Torin series had it not been for the positive reviews.

But reviews are there to provide an honest opinon, not to wax on ad nauseum about how wonderful the book is.

And I didnt enjoy this book that much, nor have I been enjoying the Star Wars franchise of books since they expanded into the New Jedi Order. There have been moments of uniqueness and action. But it is inconsistent.

So for those who read my review, dont expect a long detailed review on the positives. It's simply a quick review on my take of the book, and I dont add too many details because I assume the reader is very familiar with the series. It is Book 5 for Heaven's sake, not Book 1.

I will be reading the rest of the series, simply to discover how it ends. My one hope is that Ben Skywalker becomes someone who is a true Jedi of the future, that he discovers how he has been decieved, and grows to become an inspiration, as his father was before him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Characterization Sacrificed for Plot, July 6, 2009
Yes, I'm five books deep into the series, and remain underimpressed. While the overall story is pretty good, this could have been done in 3 books instead of five and been a lot better. Endless subplots with a few twists, and a dilute main story has a lot of readers anxiously awaiting some good developments.

Book five of the Legacy of the Force series, Sacrifice, makes some effort to attend to the main plot, while completely sacrificing style. Why is style so important? Well, style is what makes Karen Traviss a very good author. Her trademark style is her attention to characterization, and making characters feel real.

It is not that this book did not attempt it. This book had several attempts at characterization which fell flat, largely to bizarre, unrelatable writing. This really shook me. The girl who wrote Bloodlines, who made each and every character come to life for me, is now making me feel like I am watching the story unfold in the distance, with a large void between me and the characters.

Now, this fact dissolves when dealing with Boba Fett (which I feel like she has in her pocket to pull out when needed). Boba Fett is clearly a character which Karen cares a great deal about, and writes with loving austerity, and in your face bravado. The other characters, while undergoing some intense and personal moments, toil away with long (multiple pages without dialogue) vaguely written passages which manage to describe little or nothing, occassionally dipping into the political, or just the plain abstract. Even her action sequences seem out of sync with the story, and it would seem that one of the major conflicts the characters face is getting Karen Traviss to understand what is happening with their plight.

This is just sub-par work for Karen Traviss.

The plot itself has some much desired movement, even though a lot of it has to do with major events with the Mandalore, but that does not even begin to touch the level of escalation involving the war and our main characters. The problem with the series, of course, being each writer has their own 'pet' characters, and Wedge probably wont be picked up again until Aaron Allston takes over, and Boba most likely will be hung on a hook to dry until Karen picks up again as well. This discontinuity makes the whole tale suffer.

Overall, while the plot movement was impressive, the poor writing by Karen was more so depressive, and so we drop down to a meager 3 stars. I can only hope we go up from here, because this book, which should have been a overwhelming five star book, to get this series up and over the proverbial hump, was so underwhelming, I feel a little disenfrancised from the whole series. Not something you want happening five books in.

Not impressed. But a necessary evil. Barely recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Thoughts, June 16, 2007
**SPOILERS INCLUDED**

Now that there are enough books to form a pattern for the rest of the series, a decent review can be compiled. Overall, Jacen doesn't seem too evil in this book. Yes, he orders Ben to assassinate a head of state, but the tactic could be written off as military excess; cruel and violent, yes, but hardly Sith-level evil. Killing Tenel Ka as his "sacrifice" would have been utterly plausible, emotionally shocking, and added a lot more to the "Sith" story than Mara's death. While Mara's death does set up a Ben/Luke dark side plot, I'm getting tired of SW authors writing the next guy's book and throwing in oblique references to tertiary characters and events. Concentrate on the one you're writing and let the next author do the same! Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy is loved because it was internally consistent and could be enjoyed on its own merit, without needing to reference the previous works every two pages.

That being said, Traviss is a solid writer. Her Republic Commando books have been excellent, her action writing is solid, and she has a good take on her characters. I will be eternally grateful for two character points:

1 - Mara as an action-oriented, thinking, principled character. Too many authors have side-lined her post-wedding and child. A HUGE thank you to Ms. Traviss for remembering that she's still a fighter, just with a different focus.

2- I actually cared about Ben Skywalker for the first time. Let's face it: before this book, all we knew was that he was born during the Vong war, shut down his Force reception, and magically appears working with Jacen 10 years later. By the time Jacen and Jaina were this age in the SW universe, they had a 14 book series and we knew loads more. In Sacrifice, we finally get a brief but strong look at what forces have shaped him and what he believes in.

The best plot aspect was the scenes between Ben and Mara. That character development was individual and priceless to the series.

On the downside: Jacen "deciphering" the Sith prophecy after Mara's death was a let down. If he'd had an epiphany during the fight, that would have been much more climatic (and meaningful). Also, bring back Jaina and Tenel Ka. They are fighters, too, give them their due. I think the idea of a twin mirroring/clash has literary potential... too bad the authors had Jaina sit this one out (and at 32, Jaina is no longer an indecisive teenager. Give the Jag/Zekk plot a quick death and let's move on). Unless Jaina shows up much more strongly in Inferno, her eventual entry into this plot line is going to be contrived and shallow.

The Fett plot is good, if a little overplayed. I just hope that Allston and Denning do more than throw a "...and the Mandalorian situation hasn't changed..." at it.

I have to give Sacrifice 4 stars because I did enjoy it and it is a solid setup. But Mara Jade's death has already left a gaping hole in the character scheme of the SW EU. We only hope and pray that Zahn will step up to write a Mara-centric novel from an earlier time (please?). Or maybe someone will write a good novel on Ben's childhood.

One final note: Qui Gon left his body but still communicated with Yoda and Obi-Wan from the Jedi netherworld. Why can't Mara?

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor book in a poor series, December 13, 2008
The Wheez (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
The Legacy of the Force series seems to be written by authors who want to do little but sHoW how far the main characters including the Solo and Skywalker clans and their children can justify murder and killing. There's hardly aNY likeable characters in the series. Luke seems full of doubt and then ends up taking vengeance completely out of his character. The Skywalker and Solo children come across as muderous brats who seem to have no knowledge or respect for any of the original Star Wars characters, not even their parents. It's as if the writers wish Darth Vader was alive, but make his spirit alive in Ben, Jacen, Luke, and even Han who tries to kill his own brother. Out of all the books in the series, I found this one the most unrealistic and distasteful. I've read all the prequels, movie books, and all of the series of the Star Wars universe. I'm not sure I'll be reading any future books as this series and this book have just about killed my interest in any future Star Wars books. I see no attempt to follow what Lucas showed the dark and light side of the Force to be. Revenge, murder, and complete family and relational dysfuntion seems to be what's on tap. It's like turning Star Wars into a soap opera! What don't they just have all of the Solo and Skywalker family members betray and murder each other and finish all of the Star Wars universe!

1.0 out of 5 stars should have been left in a galaxy far away & not inflicted on readers, November 14, 2010
The Star Wars extended universe officially jumps the shark in this book. As if The New Jedi Order series hadn't done enough dreary damage to once long-beloved characters, the Legacy of the Force series turns them stupid, willfully blind and just plain moronic. Featuring one of the most pathetic villains in the EU to date (and considering the books written by Kevin J. Anderson, that's saying something) and the complete character assassination of the leading cast, Sacrifice is unreadable. Which, considering that author Karen Traviss is firmly on record as saying she hates to read, only comes as a surprise to the brain trusts at Del Rey who hired her. Traviss should stick to the two-dimensional video game characters for whom she has such an affinity and leave her rather sketchy political leanings out of the Star Wars universe (soldiers with big guns are kewl, Jedi and all their respect for life schtick are douches.)

The only thing that can save the EU now is a complete reboot.

Stay far, far away from this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars LOTF series is a trainwreck to behold, July 14, 2007
Dark Helmet (planet Spaceball) - See all my reviews
Sacrifice is the 5th book of the nine-book Legacy Of the Force series. The events in it take place roughly 37 years after the Battle Of Endor.

The fifth book is the by far worst of a series whose faults become increasingly evident as the story progresses. I didn't like their decision to turn Jacen into a Sith. I feel it totally destroys the impact of the NJO series and Jacen's development as a character since Traitor. When Anakin Solo was killed off, a portion of the fanbase was outraged. I wasn't one of them(though I felt very bad about Han and Leia) and I conseled myself that this was necessary for Jacen's hero's journey. Now this has all come to nothing with Jacen chosing to follow the villain's journey. And such a boring, cliched, and stupid villain that is.

The coordination between the three authors of the LOTF is also particularly bad. NJO had many more authors participating in it and I felt their efforts was more streamlined than what we see in LOTF. All of the three authors write their favorite characters, and some plotlines simply do not appear in the other books. Traviss is busy forcing her Mandalorians into the storyline; Allston writes about Wedge and his family, and Denning is obsessed with Han and Leia who still dodge blockades and turbolaser fire in the Falcon. But Traviss is by far the worst team player. And I don't understand why they chose her to co-author a mainstream series as LOTF. Her Republic Commando books are quite good, but she's terrible at writing this kind of story depicting important events in the galaxy.

Her writing style in this novel is especially dull. There's talk, talk, politics, politics, and very little action. It had seemed the war had finally started in Exile, but you can't see it here. There was one space battle in this book, and it was written very badly and it ended in a few pages.
Ben Skywalker's slowly coming to his own; it almost seems to me that after destroying the Solo kids(Anakin=dead; Jaina=almost written into obscurity; Jacen=idiotic Sith Lord), LFL is trying to salvage the situation by hastily developing Ben's character. But even he ends up in this book with a sniper rifle and assasinates the Corellian prime minister cold bloodedly. Not real Jedi-like, eh? Not to mention that he's still just a 14 year old kid. Typical of Traviss writing.

Jacen "legally" seizing power in a matter of days was also totally unconvincing. It makes the GA senate seem even more stupid and inefficient than the Palpatine-era Old Republic senate. And once the deed is done, no one asks any questions when suddenly Cal Omas is arrested. Oh, come on!

** Major spoilers from now on **

And the major character death in this book... It was written horribly. Mara goes off hunting Jacen after learning what he is; and does this without telling Luke or rest of the Jedi; thereby ensuring that after her death no one knows that Jacen did it. And still no one knows Jacen has become a Sith. This is NOT Mara. She's not that stupid.
And Luke is again made to look like an idiot when he jumps to the conclusion that Lumiya has killed Mara and goes after her all guns blazing; and kills her, after she's out of the fight. It's more like an execution and not very Luke-like at all.

Ironically, the only thing I enjoyed reading in this book was the Boba Fett and Mandalorian side-story. And it had almost nothing to do with the main storyline, and could be easily left out without affecting the rest of the book!!

So, my advice: Do not buy this book. Actually, if you haven't began reading the LOTF series, I suggest you don't start at all. It's not worth the money and time. Read the awesome Legacy comics from Dark Horse instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plodding and disappointing, July 4, 2007
Tedious and drawn out.

The dialog was not true to the characters, and each character did not seem to have its own voice. Plus, as another reviewer mentioned, much of the dialog takes place in the character's head. Where is the action and events that are typical for this genre?

This book in the story arc is a weak link. It appears to be written from the middle and filler put in the front and back ends. I have all the Star Wars books on my shelf, and this one, I think would be better served as a door stop.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Sith Lord is born and Fett searches for a cure..., July 10, 2007
There are basically two storylines that run through this novel: one surrounds Jacen's "sacrifice" and his ascendancy to the mantel of Sith Lord, and the other story revolves around Boba Fett, his illness, and the rise of the Mandalorians. There is very little action of any sort in the novel, until the end. It's a very slow novel - not exactly boring, just slow. Plot elements from prior novels in the series are picked up here, and there are some climactic events towards the end of the novel, as one would expect. Oddly enough, given the amount of coverage in prior novels, the civil war between Corellia and its fellow break away star systems and the Galactic Alliance is covered very little in this novel. Some of the leaders of those rebellions do have major parts, but for the mast part, they are overshadowed by the two threads that I mentioned above.

Jacen Solo's fall to the dark side continues in this novel and reaches a peak, but Jacen still doesn't come across as being a real Sith like Darth Bane, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, or any others. Yeah, he kills when it's unnecessary and so forth, but he doesn't strike me as being really "dark," even considering his sacrifice. Jacen seems like a clone of his grand father in some respect in that he wants to bring order to the galaxy.

The novel is full of a lot of political posturing and maneuvering by Jacen and his allies. Along with that, it follows Boba Fett and his grand daughter searching for a cure for his disease. Those aren't exactly exciting things to read about. But some of the events surrounding Boba Fett and his family were quite interesting to read. There are some funny events when Fett tries to get some information out of a crime boss. The rise of the Mandalorians seems to be an important element in future events, and that was worthy of note, but there was nearly a total lack of action sequences in the novel.

Some major characters are hardly even mentioned, including Han, Leia, and Wedge. Given that they were in the thick of things in previous novels, it's kind of weird to leave them out in this one - especially considering that there were some seriously unresolved issues with Jacen and his parents.

Ben plays a big part in this novel, and I like to see new characters continue to develop. I'm sure that he'll play a larger part in future novels.

It's not a Timothy Zahn novel, nor a Kevin J. Anderson story, but it's worth the read. It's simply a bit slow. The events that take place in the novel are worth reading to understand how the overall storyline is progressing, and I look forward to the next novel. Hopefully it will be a bit better than this one, as Jacen turns darker and the Mandalorians play a bigger part, whatever that may be.

Sacrifice (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 5)
Sacrifice (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 5) by Karen Traviss (Hardcover - May 29, 2007)
Used & New from: $3.05