5.0 out of 5 stars SAD DAY THAT THIS BAND DOESN'T GET MORE RESPECT....
Published on August 23, 2009 by Steel Devil

2.0 out of 5 stars Too forced!!!!!!
I've been a huge fan of Lillian Axe since I discovered their swansong release 'Love + War' all them moons ago. So when I heard they were reforming with the 'Live 2002' release, that was a much worthy addition that I had to grab...& it is one brilliant live offering for these Hard Rockin' lads. NOW I'll go to the new album 'Sad Day On Planet Earth'.

I REALLY...
Published on November 1, 2009 by P. J. Black

5.0 out of 5 stars SAD DAY THAT THIS BAND DOESN'T GET MORE RESPECT...., August 23, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
Lillian Axe releases another monster of an album with "Sad Day on Planet Earth" and it is too band nobody will hear this gem. Lillian Axe were like Tesla and Tyketto in the sense that they were lumped into the "hair" band era when they were anything but just a hair band. Lillian Axe has done a great job staying relevant and true to their roots. This album is loaded with melody. If you like the first two Lillian Axe albums you should find the same things to like on this album. The songs are well structured and melodic through out. They do a great job of mixing up the tempos through the CD to keep those with ADD hooked on the CD. The production is solid and the guitars are right up front and are pretty heavy sounding. There really is not a bad song on the album and I know that is cliché' to say, but it is very true here. Steve has really improved as a guitar player over the years which is a scary thought. It is rare to find such an abundance of melody in 2009 and man do they deliver on tracks like Jesus Wept, Sad Day on Planet Earth and Within Your Reach. This album will most likely go overlooked and that sucks because this is such a killer rock album. Be sure to support Lillian Axe and pick up this CD. I don't know how you could be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Incredible CD!, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
Sad Day On Planet Earth is an incredible album start to finish. The songwriting is stronger than ever and songs like "MegaSlowFade", "Jesus Wept", "Blood Raining Down on Her Wings", "Hibernate", "Down Below the Ocean" and "The Grand Scale of Finality" instantly went on my list of all-time favorite songs. At long last, "Kill Me Again" has been done in the studio and is another great track. There are 15 songs on this CD, not to fill up space, but because there are simply 15 awesome tracks to be heard. Each one is memorable and melodic and has its own uniqueness and character. There's not a single track I skip over.

The guitars sound huge and thick and there are tons, and I'm talking TONS, of awesome heavy guitar riffs (Steve Blaze - lead guitar, Sam Poitevent - guitar). Steve's leads and solos are full of emotion and they add something special to every song. His cool Blaze model guitars are featured on this album and certainly contributed to the depth and richness of the guitar tones, which are some of the best I've ever heard on a CD.

Derrick LeFevre's vocals have gotten even stronger on this recording. He's powerful and expressive and his voice sounds so much like Ron's at times that my ears will often do double-takes. The way he belts out the chorus to "Jesus Wept" is awesome. The drums (Ken Koudelka) and bass (Eric Morris) are rock solid and add to the power of every song.

The CD booklet has cool photos of the band and all of the lyrics.

If you're a longtime Lillian Axe fan like myself, you'll love this one. If you're not yet a fan, this will easily make you one. I can't wait to see them on tour `cause they're great live - check out the live video on their website for proof. Thanks to Lillian Axe to making such a great CD.

Update to my review, 8/21/09:

The more I listen to this CD, the more it reminds me of the Psychoschizophrenia album, but I like this new one even better. If you liked Pyscho, you'll really emjoy this one. The songwriting is even stronger here. That's coming from a longtime fan of this band. There's no better melodic hard rock/metal out there than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Lillian Axe Masterpiece!, July 8, 2009
Aljos99 (Apple Valley, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
"Sad Day On Planet Earth" is another GREAT release from the hugely underrated band Lillian Axe! The entire CD is excellent with standout tracks "Megaslowfade", "Jesus Wept", "Ignite", "The Grand Scale of Finality", and "Within Your Reach". Lillian Axe continue to be hard rocking, melodic, and 100% original. While a bit darker and heavier than their previous albums, I highly recommend "Sad Day On Planet Earth" to fans of hard rock and metal that are looking for something that really delivers!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars rocking cd, August 11, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
I think this is a very good cd toones of brian may playing guitar on this cd,its very good .I admitt it doesnt start out that way but after the first 5 songs it really rocks the highlights are ignite ,blood raining down her wings,divine ,and fire blood the earth and sea.This cd is well written and played great ,with great guitar works , buy this cd cheap and you wont be dissapointed

2.0 out of 5 stars Too forced!!!!!!, November 1, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)

I REALLY wanted to enjoy what I was in store for. But unfortunately it just hasn't done it for me. This album starts off with a ripper of an instrumental in 'Cocoon', then followed on with the fist pumping track 'megaslowfade' to bang the brains to. But that's where it ends for me. The songs sound too forced & seems to fit the modern day Rock sound, + they almost seem to be able to roll into each other without noticing too much difference. Stevie Blaze is a dynamic song writer/guitarist, but this is a stones throw away from his former glory.

I will keep this album amongst my Lillian Axe catalog for collectors sake, but it will unfortunately be getting few spins around my cd player.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good., December 23, 2009
R. F. M. Hal "Rene" (Nijmegen , the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
What an awesome album this is , Lilian axe did it again , strong harmony vocals , great guitarwork and splendid songs , very melodic and some very heavy songs .
What do you want more , top class heavy metal , thank you for being there Lilian Axe , always a pleasure to listen to one of my favourite bands.
This album and Heaven & Hell's - The Devil you know are for me the best cd's this year .
Buy it and you won't regret it , again ... a very very good album .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Axe is back, February 19, 2010
This review is from: Sad Day On Planet Earth (MP3 Music)
The Axe is back in its finest form as of yet. However , buyer beware....Amazon shorted me 2 of the mp3's I purchased when downloading this album. Other than that , this is a cant miss collection of songs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should not be called Lillian Axe..., August 16, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
this is the fourth straight lame studio album from Lillian Axe. Too modern sounding, too heavy, and too grungy for my tastes. for those of you who grew up with the real LIllian Axe (ie., the band who recorded their self titled debut, Love & War, and Poetic Justice), this practically sounds like a different band.

Lillian Axe should go back to making melodic rock/hair metal/AOR as that is their bread and butter. this sounds like a wanna be metal band.

1.0 out of 5 stars This album makes me sad!, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
What happened to Lillian Axe. This new singer is sad. The songs are all angrry and sad. the album is poorly produced and you can't even hear most of the lyrics.
If you were looking for a good rock album froma great melodic band, this is not it.
I loved Lillian axe in the beginning and bought this on great reviews, but was very disappointed. Can't ay I even liked one song on this. Went back and listended to Love and War and cired over how great they used to be

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Sad Day on Planet Earth (Audio CD)
Sad Day on Planet Earth is a great cd like all their other cds. Nocturnal Symphony, Within your Reach are my favorites. Seen this band live alot in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Houma,La. They always put on a great show. Very talented band.

Sad Day On Planet Earth