Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Sad reflection on Amazon and Penguin

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 4:20:14 AM PDT
ASG says:
Instead of threads discussing the much anticipated new Jim Butcher Novel, we have nothing but threads complaining of price gouging.

This is a good indicator of how pissed off people are.

If you're all truly this angry, start supporting your local library.
Pass that millage vote to keep it running.
Visit your library, you'll be surprised at what you can check out for free.

DVD movies and E-books are my favorites.
But you can also pick up the latest novels from your favorite authors.

Good luck everybody...

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 5:09:19 PM PDT
An Onion says:
I always get the latest book from the library first, then catch them at Half-Price Books or here on Llamazon when they're cheap. Got a hardcover of Changes a few weeks ago for like, $3 new on here!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 1:33:15 PM PDT
Amazon is opposed to this price scheme. It was forced on them by the publishers. Do not take this out on Amazon. Blame Apple if you need to blame anyone. The publishers actually made more money on the previous pricing model, but Apple would not enter a market where Amazon routinely sold e-books at cost or little profit.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 7:15:10 PM PDT
Donna Cravey says:
"If you're all truly this angry, start supporting your local library."

I'd love to, but we just don't have a decent library in our tiny community. I don't think they have any of the Dresden books. Looking at the digital offerings, all they have is the Dresden collection 1-6...and that's to be shared in three counties. Not everyone has the luxury of a well-stocked public library.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 7:05:12 AM PDT
L. C. Rainey says:
My library also does not have these books, nor does it have an e-book download system yet. I would love to use the library more.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 12:05:42 PM PDT
L. Hunter says:
You could organize some fundraising for your library. Or a group of people could put in a couple of dollars each and buy the book and draw lots for a reading order.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:25:42 AM PDT
Christ this pricing is insane. As much as I love these books (and bought the last one), I won't be buying this one.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:55:12 PM PDT
If I had any willpower whatsoever when it comes to the Dresden Files, I'd get Cold Days from the library and then wait to buy until the court delivers a verdict on the price fixing case, which is what I'm doing with Side Jobs, because my personal price point for that book is $6-8, and it's still at $9.99. I contacted Penguin about that. Seriously, it's been two years.

However, I don't, so I'll pay more to buy it on the first day, and if I were a publisher, I'd price my books at whatever the market would bear. However, the market stops bearing that price pretty quickly, and that's where the publishers are still stuck in the 19th century--they don't seem to be experimenting enough with the prices, terrified that they'll somehow devalue all of their stock by doing so.

So keep complaining, people, and buy when the book reaches your price point. And be stronger willed than I am!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:23:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 4:27:06 PM PST
I bought cold days on kindle but 15 bucks for an ebook? No thanks. My library will get it and I'll just wait for it. Sucks, but that's what is going to have to happen for the pricing to start making sense.

As for ebooks from the library, there was a brief period of time where I could check it one of the limited supply of ebooks out from teh library and then download it wirelessly to kindle. That worked fine and I read a couple of very interesting non fictions that way. However, they jetisoned that system and started requiring you to download them in a different way, I believe the description said it required a wire! WTF? This also said 'required by publisher'. It's enough to drive you away from buying anything but independent books.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:20:54 AM PST
ASG says:
For those of you who want a preview of the first few chapters, check out Jim's site.
He's got Chapter 1 up already and the next three are going to be on his site over the next three weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 6:20:51 AM PST
Ooh, exquisite torture!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:09:15 PM PST
Ray Heasman says:
I think the best solution for this is both legal, and punishes Penguin perfectly.

Wait a few days after release, and then buy the book for cheap second hand. Read it and then immediately sell it back to a second hand book store. This way you:

1) Get the book cheap, especially after factoring in the money you made selling it again.
2) Get to read the book.
3) Get to cost Penguin at least two sales. One to you, and one to the next person who buys your copy of the book. With luck, it will cost them even more than that.
4) Get to support a second hand book dealer, and Amazon too if you buy from him through Amazon.

For extra points, lend it to your friends before selling it.

It's a win-win-win-win.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:25:41 PM PST
F. Jones says:
Our library has a horrible Science Fiction and Fantasy section too. I give money to the library, earmarking the books for that area.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:09:53 AM PST
M. Clark says:
Its all about demand. One of the reasons I got a Kindle, was to get cheaper books. However, for the books that I have to have, Like Butcher's, I fork out the money. Publishers know this. Now I am not saying not to be frugal, I just like having a personal copy of my books (especially my favorite ones), and will not sell them back.

Also, think about what penguin pays for. All Jim Butchers signing tours are on their dime. Advertising ext...They managed to snag Butcher, and Butcher has continued with the relationship. To support Penguin is also to support Butcher. How much money to we really waste? $15 is not a great amount for a story that will capture your imagination.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:48:09 PM PST
Jon says:
I'm going to look on the bright side: the price of this e-book made my decision as to what to read on the 27th extremely easy - I pre-ordered Kevin Hearne's book Trapped ($7.99), and I'm number 62 of 70 on my local library's waiting list for Cold Days.

Come to think of it, I wonder how many of those 70 people would have just bought the book instead had its price been more reasonable...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:54:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:56:17 AM PST
Travis says:
Same here. I started the Iron Duid Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book One series and will pick up Dresden Files books at the library or when they hit the bargain bin.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 11:32:42 AM PST
Penguin just settled their price-fixing case with the FTC on the 18th, agreeing to dump the agency model for two years. This means that Amazon will be able to set the price for the book soon. I'm waiting for it to come down before buying-- or for it to come back in to my local library. Whichever comes first.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:01:22 PM PST
Sebastien says:
I agree with the above comments, I will not be buying a book in an electronic format for a higher price than the hardcover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 6:00:52 PM PDT
Roknar says:
hmm I do believe that some library's will let you get a membership even if your not in that particular area. But I believe it's only for e-books

Posted on Aug 26, 2013 11:41:41 AM PDT
Isn't this kind of price gouging for eBooks exactly what the lawsuit was about? $6 for the paperback but $13 for the eBook? REALLY???!?

I know Daniel Marner mentioned the settlement was on 12/18/12 but here we are over 6 months later and the price is still absurd!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about