Customer Discussions > The Catcher in the Rye forum

Saddened by Salinger's death

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 28, 2010 12:00:24 PM PST
Just read that J.D Salinger passed away today at the age of 91. Came to amazon to find a copy of The Catcher in the Rye. I last read the book my senior year of high school and loved it greatly. Thought I would buy a copy and give it another read now that I'm an adult ( phony ) with a family of my own. Rest in peace to one of america's brilliant authors.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 2:01:25 PM PST
A customer says:
I too was saddened. Franny and Zooey was a seminal book for me when I was younger and learning how to write. I hope the novella that appeared in The New Yorker in the mid-1960s is published as a book now. With love and squalor, V.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 3:38:48 PM PST
Poet says:
Salinger was indeed a great rebel. He stood against the film industry all of his life. He was not appreciated enough for his resistance against the money system, for mankind was blind to his true intentions, which were basically to promote equality, justice, and to dispel all kinds of discriminations. Farwell, you great rebel, your revolution will never be stopped.
A fellow rebel
Poet

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010 7:31:17 AM PST
Phony! Ha!

RIP Old Salinger. He's been writing all this time so I hope we will be treated to many posthumous publications.

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 12:07:58 AM PST
edit chick says:
So, here we are, the usual comments on a man's passing. Boy, I wish he had been safe enough with us to have been in the world. Now it is over and whatever he wanted is a closed book ( ha ha) to us all. So, RIP our dear reluctant guru. You no longer need to fret about intrusion or expectation. We will have to finally be satisfied with the great deal you left us with, in spite of it all. Oh, and, thanks a lot.

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 2:45:20 PM PST
Rosalita says:
Just finished reading Catcher once again in honor of the passing of the author last week. So perfectly, Salinger gave life to Holden, the catcher, the preserver of innocence, the troubled. This tiime, I found myself wanted to "mother" him, wanting to help.

When I was a teacher in a small rural town in the 70's, Catcher was banned when someone showed a copy to the town sheriff who was running for re-election. He made "eliminating smut" from the school library a campaign issue. Thanks to this effort and the subsequent removal of the book from the school, probably every teenager in that town managed to get their hands on it and read it that summer. I loved it and I hope those teens did too!

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 10:36:05 PM PST
J. Brandt says:
Only the good die young.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 28, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 14, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Catcher in the Rye (Modern Classics S.)
The Catcher in the Rye (Modern Classics S.) by J. D. Salinger (Paperback - November 1, 1969)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (4,008)