5.0 out of 5 stars Solid
Published on October 3, 2009 by HiSissa

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Happy
Disappointment in product. Has had it less than 6 months, and the switch on it, only works 50% of the time. Have not been able to get a satisfactory response from the manufacture to repair. Would not buy again.
Published on October 5, 2011 by C. Coupland

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, October 3, 2009
This light therapy lamp is not the prettiest or smallest (though I don't think it's ugly nor excessively huge either), but it is very solid in long-term performance and sturdiness. I've had one for years, have moved homes with it three times, tossed it carelessly in the closet for spring and summer (I know, I shouldn't do that) and still works like day one. If you have a spot where you can set it and don't need something portable or high fashion, this lamp will stand by you for years to come. It also can be angled down, so that you can sit next to it or in front (I usually read for a bit by it's light) without burning your eyes off. I have SAD, but I also have very sensitive eyes and didn't want something I had to stare right into like some of the others that emit light right out of the front. If you want it straight on, you can do that too, but that's too much for my eyes and this lamp gives me options that work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meets all the recommendations from Columbia University's Center for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms., June 3, 2010
Judith Blumhorst (SF Bay area, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I've owned this light for 4 or 5 years now. It has performed flawlessly. The parabolic design lets me sit several feet away, without it blinding me, and do my deskwork naturally. It is UV safe for the eyes. I get seasonal depression in winter or any time of the year if I'm not outside in the sun enough - and this is the next best thing to being outside on a sunny day. I use it every day. With this light, I can work at my desk and keep a "sunny" disposition. I wouldn't want to spend a day indoors without it.

Light therapy is very potent, with potential for great benefit, but it has equal potential for messing up your sleep cycle and energy levels when used inappropriately.

Below is a link to the website of the Center for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms, a part of the Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University. Read the info there before you start dosing yourself with light.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars After trying several lamps, this is the best for me, March 4, 2008
This is a GREAT lamp. I finally settled on it after trying out two Apollo products, which proved to be too harsh for my eyes (Apollo uses a very white light). This light is somewhat softer, and I am able to use it without nausea or headache, which I experienced with the other lights. The SADelite does the trick beautifully-- it has boosted my energy, and the quality is excellent. I gave the Apollo brite lite to a friend who can use it without any difficulty. My advice -- if at all possible, try to visit a store so that you can actually see the lights before you buy! The Apollo lights are great products, but too harsh for some people.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a light makes!, November 14, 2009
I have used the SADelite for over 5 years with great success. I have learned to start using it as soon as daylight savings time ends. Even one session brightens my mood! Usually, I just have my cereal and coffee in front of it, for 15-20 minutes in the morning, and that does the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Sadelite 10,000 Lux Full Spectrum Light Therapy Desk Lamp for SAD, Beige (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm now heading into the third winter of using this lamp in Northern Europe and am completely satisfied. Also recommended it to several friends who are also pleased with it, and so when I saw the negative reviews recently I decided to contribute a review citing my more positive experience. Before purchasing this lamp I tried a lamp with primarily blue light by a different manufacturer which turned out to be too strong for me. After a few days of using it in the mornings for about 15 minutes, I couldn't sleep. My doctor recommended a softer light, and so I tried this lamp and it has worked perfectly for me. I highly recommend it. It's a great desk lamp, and I like the convenience of being able to adjust the angle and height of the light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Customer Service, April 18, 2007
Although the Sadelite did not improve my energy level, I was very happy with the money back guarantee, which I received in a very prompt manner after returning the lamp. Also, the customer service was very good: whenever I had a question, I had no problem reaching a human being who answereed the questions I had.

I have heard that bright light therapy doesn't work for everyone, and I guess I was one of those for whom it did not work; however, it was worth the chance because of the money back guarantee, which may only be available when you deal directly with the manufacturer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samoyedman's Winter Sunshine, December 11, 2010
Samoyedman (Seatte WA USA) - See all my reviews
This lamp arrived on time and in good condition. It is large and works very well. November - January can be very dark up north. Go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. The comes up around 8 am and sets about 4 pm. This lamp helps keep me from hibernating! Plus it doubles as a desk lamp so using it does not mean "time out" of other activities. Recommend it highly

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sturdy & Effective SAD Light, January 9, 2013
I actually found my SADeLite at a thrift store for $7. I recognized it as a SAD Therapy Light because I'd been treating my SAD with light therapy, using the Sunray I Light Box, since 1998. This is a great addition to my therapy regiment, the reflector increases this lamp's light output to therapeutic levels which rival my Sunray. My one gripe is the bulbs are not full-spectrum and that's something I really like about my Sunray box, hence the four stars.

It's a sturdy lamp & the replacement bulbs are inexpensive (probably because they are not full spectrum.) You should be able to get 2 bulbs for under $20. Replacing my Sunray's bulbs costs 4x that, which makes this lamp a fantastic value. Remember - bulbs should be switched out every two years, long before they burn out, to maintain therapeutic levels of light intensity! Search online, or inquire at your local hardware store, for Sylvania Dulux replacement bulb, Model # FT36DL/841.ECO

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect; Fluorescent bulbs not for everyone though, October 5, 2010
I got this lamp over ten years ago when I was diagnosed with SAD. It did seem to help at first (though, being in combination with anti-depressants it's impossible to say how much was due to the lamp). The only problem was that, several years later, I became more sensitive to fluorescent lighting and found that when I used the lamp as directed, I became severely nauseous (regular fluorescent lights also make me slightly nauseous or give me headaches as well now). However, I was able to continue to use the light as a room lamp, by turning it upward to the cieling, and find that not only does this create a wonderfully bright and cheery room, it also helps to wake me up and energize me almost as much as sunlight does. I would also note that the lamp has been very very durable... I've tried to be careful with it but have banged it around a bit and it still works as well as ever (and I haven't even had to change the bulbs yet!) The one exception is the plastic UV screen - it became brittle and broke about 3 years after I bought the lamp. I can't compare this product to any others as it's the only one I've tried but all in all I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing results, October 7, 2012
I purchased this item upon the advice of my doctor, who suspected I was suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I used it faithfully for half an hour each morning last winter. It was no big deal to use the lamp while I had my morning coffee, but the improvement to my mood and energy levels was a big deal. I used it until about the first of April when the days became noticably longer. This fall I started using it again at the equinox. The SAD lamp has been a real boon to me.

Sadelite 10,000 Lux Full Spectrum Light Therapy Desk Lamp for SAD, Beige