5.0 out of 5 stars Saeco Xelsis Review
I have (now you can say had!!) the Saeco Primea Touch Plus. I mainly make cappucinos. With the Primea, I had issues with the milk temperature (too cold) and no milk foam. Also, the cleanup was a pain.
Published on July 7, 2010 by Ed Santos

3.0 out of 5 stars High maintenance machine
Published 7 months ago by Holli

5.0 out of 5 stars Saeco Xelsis Review, July 7, 2010
Ed Santos (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saeco Xelsis SS Automatic Espresso Machine, Stainless Steel (Kitchen)
I decided to try the Xelsis and I am glad that I did. So far I have had the machine for about two weeks and it is a winner. The milk comes out hot and the foam is perfect (looks like micro-foam done by a wand). It is easy to maintain and has worked flawless. The only negative is that the drip tray is kind of small but is it very quick and easy to empty. If you are looking for a quick and easy cappucino this machine is for you.
...........Ed

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips ownership is starting to show..., April 27, 2012
Dave from Seattle (Bonney Lake, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this machine as an upgrade to my Talea Touch Plus. And I have to say I think Philips ownership is starting to show. First, we got one that had all kinds of odd problems. The "Error E05" when I went to prime the pump was frustrating, but eventually unplugging the unit, plugging it in, and restarting it got around the issue. The front of the unit (which unlatches and swings out to reach the brew group) NEVER stayed completely closed and would go slightly out of alignment with the rest of the unit.

So we exchanged it.

The new unit has the same door issue (tho less promient).

The unit never reports to add coffee beans when it's empty. Fine - we can pop the lid open and look, but that's hardly working as advertised.

We also have a problem where the milk frother will occasionally just sputter and not dispense steamed milk. Cleaning the frother only seems to have limited success.

And when I call to ask questions from Philips (formerly Saeco USA)? If the tech in question doesn't know the answer, you get the generic response of; "Take it back for service unless you bought it recently and then just have the retailer exchange it".

Really Philips?

Overall the machine does a really good job. But for me to give it a 5-star rating it'd have to do an *outstanding* job for the money I paid. And it simply is not outstanding vs. the money spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars High maintenance machine, May 13, 2014
We bought this machine at costco for $1200 and it is our second saeco machine in 10 years, which is why we stayed with the same brand. The last machine was only $700 and although it didn't have as many cool features, it was a more quality machine! This saeco xelsis makes EXCELLENT COFFEE, but if you have more than one coffee drinker in your home it is NOT the machine for you. You can only get about 4 shots of espresso before the machine requires pucks dumped and drip tray emptied (that would 1-2 times every day in our house). In addition it doesn't warn you that the water tank is low or the coffee grinder is empty - which for the price, should be standard. As a result, my very expensive coffee beans are wasted as I get an unusable half ground puck from a half empty grinder, or an overly strong shot when the water is low. Our last saeco would warn us that there wasn't enough water to produce a quality shot as well as telling us the grinder was empty.

In addition, it requires descaling every 45-60 days (last machine was 6 month). The descaling solution is another pricey addition to the cost of the machine, plus it is an inconvenience to manage since it takes an hour + and you can't leave the machine alone. After 5 months it has started a high pitched whirring noise. As a result, it is being returned. I suggest you consider other options if you are a high volume consumer and want value for your hard earned money. The reason that I gave it 3 stars instead if 2 is because the quality of the grind and end product of both the frother and the grinder is excellent. It is simply an expensive and high maintenance machine, when the same mfr. used to produce a better product for less money. I understand, from other reviewers, that Phillips recently bought saeco, so that could be the source of the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Example of Technology and Art!, April 6, 2013
We purchased this to replace our 12 year old Saeco Royal Exclusive (http://www.amazon.com/Saeco-Exclusive-SuperAutomatic-Espresso-Cappuccino/product-reviews/B00007JXTQ). After purchasing two Royal Exclusives 12 years ago (one for home and one for work), I was confident in the durability and innovation of Saeco products. The Royals have held up very well over time, each with over 10,000 cups brewed.

The Saeco Xelsis is light years ahead. Additional features include the ability to make 8 different drinks, and to customize those drinks for each of 6 people. The one touch cappuccino is amazing. The milk is frothed perfectly, reminding me of the cappuccino we enjoyed in Italy. The stainless steel cabinet makes this machine a perfect match for our kitchen. Cleaning is a breeze, as is emptying out the grounds receptacle. All around, probably the best machine on the market today!

5.0 out of 5 stars Xelsis will change your life., December 12, 2011
I've had this machine for a few months and I now look forward to waking up everyday. Before drab boring dark coffee please pull the trigger.. But now Every Time I see it do its thing ,I'm amazed by its engineering. I just changed the setting to the lowest milk, strongest coffee w/ longest pour and its nice and strong. I got mine for a killer deal on eBay try to look around although good luck trying to pay under 2k. Is it worth it 2k to change your life I think so. Everyday I'm sipping the perfect cappuccino thinking to myself life is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate espresso machine!!!, November 21, 2012
If you are like me and love to hostess perfect parties..then you need to finish your events with the perfect espresso or cappuccino... and thanks to the Saeco Xelsis you can do this easily and be the ultimate hostess!!

Since the day I got the Saeco machine I have been using it non stop... love the fact that you don't need to spend hours reading the instructions... you can just follow the display screen and it literally walks you through the steps. Another plus is the ability to generate individual user profile for each drink... so now I can make my husband the perfect caffeelate exactly the way he likes it! A espresso machine that knows you by reading your digital print... doesn't get better than that in my book!

The display walks you every time you when you need more coffee beans, water or when you even need to clean the tray...Thank You!!! Love the fact that is not super big and it easily fits on my kitchen counter.

If you are looking for the ultimate expresso machine, that is easy to use...allows you to customize the intensity of the coffee, heat of milk, etc. look no further... this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, July 12, 2011
This machine is terrific. Expensive, but terrific. The features are convenient and very well thought out. It can be customized for 6 different users - each with 9 drinks. Most importantly, it makes great, very hot coffee. I have had this now for 4 months and I could not be happier.

This model is a quantum leap over the Talea (see my review) and Primea, both of which I have owned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Pricey n Not Hot Enough, December 30, 2012
Costco sales this for $1600, can only make 2 lattes n u have to clean the inside drip tray. Temp of latte is like warm at the highest setting (3 square). Not worth the price for a machine that cost this much. Espresso shot at highest setting is ok, not that strong. Milk foam is big bubbles n temp is too low, u have to use the wand if u want a hot drink. I got this bc it is a super auto so I don't have to stand in front of it to make a latte, with a toddler n baby I don't have much time.

UPDATE DEC 16, 2013. So my machine stopped working the day after Black Friday, right before the 1 year mark. $1600/700 cups = $2.28 a cup (machine gives you a cup count). Got E01 error, I think it is a grinder issue. I decided not to get it fixed bc something else will just break and I need my espresso, don't want to wait a month or 2 for them to fix it. Costco has this online for $1300 now! I went to the store and just purchase another machine I saw, Delonghi ESAM 5500 for ~$700, thought I go cheaper, since I think these machines will only last a year or so. Saceo is much better in design and taste. I still had a whole bag of coffee left when my Saeco died, so I used it on the ESAM 5500. ESAM temperature is not as hot as Saeco and espresso has grainier taste, maybe filter isn't as good? Hoping this machine will last at least a year.

Saeco machine is great in design and taste compare to ESAM 5500, but it only lasted less than one year at $2.28 a cup!