5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Hannah and Jonas Story
I have waited for this book while we learned the stories of the first four sisters and this one is everything that I hoped it would be. Better than most of the others it is truly not just a romance but a tale of strengh, hope, and mystery.

Published on June 28, 2007 by Elaine C McTyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. I'd rate it at 3 1/2 if I could....
Published on June 28, 2007 by Romance, Romance, & nothing bu...

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Hannah and Jonas Story, June 28, 2007
This review is from: Safe Harbor (Drake Sisters, Book 5) (Mass Market Paperback)

Hannah is the #1 model in the world, not because she has ever wanted to be a model, but because she has felt the need to find something she does as well as the other sisters.

Jonas Harrington is not just sheriff of her hometown he has been in covert operations for our government until he became so burned out he came home to the Drakes. They are his family and have been since he was a child. He and Jackson have accepted one more small assignment that goes very wrong.

This time when he finally gets home he tells Hannah his feelings and she opens her heart and body to him. At the next fashion show she is attacked. He is totally wiped out by the attack on Hannah. He immediatly sets out to find who tried to kill her, the list is long and another attack on her happens at the hospital. Knowing there is a physcopath out there after her he is in full protective mode.

I very much enjoyed this book and could hardly put it down when I had too. The action is continuous and the interaction with the sisters is wonderful. You know there will be two more books, and I can hardly wait. Christine Feehan has grown as an author and her skills as a writer are improving with each of the novels in the Drake Sister and Ghostwalker series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hannah and Jonas' exciting and touching story at last!, June 26, 2007
As I've been reading the Drake sisters books, I've been amused and puzzled by the interaction between Jonas Harrington, long-time Drake family friend, and Hannah, super beautiful, super model. Sometimes there was antagonism, sometimes sentiment and sometimes sparks. This book puts it all together and gives us the inside story in a way we might not have imagined!

The story begins with Jonas and Jackson Deveau out on a special covert assignment for the defense department that goes south. Jonas has been shot and they are trying to escape the Russian mob led by the Tarasov family. Joans mentally calls on Hannah to help them as they are trapped in an alleyway with no way out but up. Hannah calls wind, rain and is successfully in helping Jonas and Jackson escape although Jonas passes out. He comes to in a nearby ER with a doctor stitching his wounds and Jackson coming in to tell him the mob has sent more people after them and the film they made so they need to leave out the window and draw them away from the innocent people in the hospital. They leave in a hurry, call their supervisor, Duncan for help, and then need to hide out for a few days.

Hannah meanwhile is furious when she recovers from her magical efforts to save Jonas that a)he was endangering his life again when still recovering from a nearly mortal wound of a few weeks ago (read prior book "Dangerous Tides") and b) that Jonas never called to let her know he is okay or not. When Jonas finally does come to see Hannah, the sparks really do fly!!

As Hannah's life is threatened and Jonas reveals his true feelings, I could not put this book down until I finished it!! A truly exciting and suspenseful as well as sentimental and romantic story. The reader also gets better acquainted with another intriguing character, Illya Prakenskii, who is magical like the Drakes.

I can't wait for the next installment!! Highly recommended as one of the best Drake books yet!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. I'd rate it at 3 1/2 if I could...., June 28, 2007
Safe Harbor starts off with a bang but almost all of the action and conflict occur in the first third of the book. It felt almost like I started in the middle of a book, like I was missing something despite the fact that I've read all of the books several times. After the first third or so, both the relationship and the suspense plot stalled several times which made it a bit boring.

The interaction between Jonas and Hannah in other books has been like a lively rivalry but this book just didn't show the characters or the relationship and tension as seen previously. In fact, I didn't like Jonas or Hannah in this book. Jonas, in particular, wasn't the character I feel like we were introduced to previously. He actually resembled the Norton twins from her Ghostwalker series to me.

Also, there are several scenes & elements that are almost the same as scenes from the two most recent Ghostwalker books with only a few sentences added here and there.

Overall, I just felt like Safe Harbor was a big let-down with the exception of the the interaction between Joley and Ilya (who is obviously her mate). It's worth reading because it's part of the series but it's just not great.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let down, July 20, 2007
The Drake sibling stories I most wanted to read happened to be the 4 youngest (Libby, Hannah, Joley, Elle). I liked Libby's story, but Hannah's was very disappointing.

Safe Harbor started off well with an action-packed, adrenaline- and fear-filled opening, but then it sort of meandered and fell apart. The sisters' reactions to the events surrounding Hannah seemed muted, Hannah and Jonas's relationship progressed in a rather superficial fashion, and there was virtually no interaction by the girls' parents, which was never explained. A measly 3 mentions of mom and dad, tops! In addition, if not Jonas, then certainly Jackson should have come to the correct conclusion long before the truth came out. The clues were there.

On the other hand, the set-up for both Joley and Elle's books was intriguing, but given how much I anticipated Hannah and Jonas's story and was let down, I'm rather wary about the final books in the Drake Sisters series.

I think all of Ms Feehan's books need tighter editing. There's a great deal of repetition within each book itself and among the books and series; the constant head-hopping (ie, point-of-view [POV] switches) is rather jolting, and the plot holes need fixing.

1.0 out of 5 stars What's with this trend?, June 28, 2007
Hate to disagree with my fellow Texan in San Antonio, but I agree with Midwest and "Anonymous." This book would be a good one to check out from the library or to purchase at a garage sale or used bookstore. I, too, put the book down and didn't read it in one sitting, as I usually do books by Ms. Feehan, Nora Roberts, Diana Palmer, Jill Shalvis, Lisa Marie Rice and so on.
Jonas is NOT the slightly irritating yet lovable guy we've met in previous Drake Sister books. In fact, I wonder why it is a lot of romance authors have forgotten what constitutes real romance. A man who is mean-spirited, pushy, and using the f-word all the time or in his more charming moments (?) telling people "Go to hell or shut the hell up!," doesn't make the grade as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, the Harlequin hero from the golden age of romance was, and sometimes still is, a bit arrogant or slightly cruel to the heroine, but it's usually due to a misunderstanding. Stress and the alpha-male personality can create some tension between characters, but in Safe Harbor this was over the top.
We had already met Jonas in previous books and he was likable and protective in a sweet, almost older brother way to all the Drakes. In this book, he bore more than a passing resemblance to the brothers of the latest two "Game" books; I'm glad someone else noticed that or I might have questioned my memory. This book just abandoned or rewrote a lot of the history of the Drakes. We've met a family of strong, magical women and in this one they were portrayed as having a pointless, argumentative tug-of-war with Jonas over Hannah, i.e. protecting her from him.
The sisters previously have enjoyed scenes where they had normal interaction with one another: teasing, brewing tea or otherwise nurturing one another, or visiting neighbors. This was sorely missing in "Safe Harbor." Hannah, in previous books, has had the gumption to tease Jonas, "steal" his hats and stick up for her sisters. In this one, she was a shrinking violet to say the least, even in the first third of the story.
Jonas shares a link with Hannah, yet he didn't realize she would encounter some, shall we say, challenges in NYC? And he and Sarah couldn't send her some mental message over their common path? This made little to no sense to me. Anyone else get that?
I'm with the others: please DO NOT mess up the chemistry, budding relationship between Joley and Ilyia.
Hate to say it, but I'll be trading in this book for credit and I have kept ALL the Carpathian books and the "Mind" books. Oughta serve as a signal to the editors that there's a problem brewing for the Drakes and this time it's not from without, it's from within. (Cue ominous music :)

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars...a great ending for Jonas and Hannah, July 5, 2007
The long awaited story of Jonas and Hannah will not disappoint.

After years of loving Hannah from afar, Jonas can't wait any longer to claim her for his own. After a final dangerous mission where he almost dies, Jonas returns to Sea Haven and the only woman who has ever held his heart. He doesn't realize the danger that he has brought right to the Drake's front door. What he does know is that he can't live without Hannah.

Hannah never thought she had a chance with Jonas. With major self-confidence issues, Hannah didn't think she was woman enough to hold a man like Jonas. It didn't matter that she was a world famous model. She didn't see the same thing when she looked in the mirror that everyone else did. After being railroaded into a career she didn't want, Hannah decides to take control of her life.

Then Hannah is brutally attacked live in t.v. Just moments away from death, help comes from an unexpected quarter. Jonas and all the Drakes rush to Hannah's side and each one tries to give Hannah something to hold onto. After being stabilized, Hannah returns to Sea Haven and the home she loves. It's after they get there that they all realize the danger to Hannah is far from over. Together, Jonas and Hannah must unravel the reason Hannah was attacked and who would continually try to come after her.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Hannah and Jonas. I thought Feehan did a good job of bringing the tension between the two to a climax. After four books, there is quite a build-up and Feehan did not disappoint.

2.0 out of 5 stars UGH!!!, July 2, 2007
I have waited for Hannah and Jonas's story but in this book the characters seemed detached and different from their characters in the previous books. How many pages of how beautiful she is and how lustfull and obsessed he is can you take. I didn't finish the book, just laid it on the pile I keep for when I have nothing else to read. (This one is on the bottom of the pile).

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Fantastic book from Ms. Feehan, June 27, 2007
Hannah Drake is a member of the Drake family. Women of the Drake family are beautiful inside and out who are gifted with special abilities. Hannah has the ability to call the wind to her aid, she is able to read peoples true intentions and thoughts with a touch and she is able to heal others. Hannah is also a super shy model who needs help from her family to have the strength to go out in public and to deal with people. She likes to please others and there only seems to be one person who knows her completely. That person is Jonas, an unofficial member of the family.

Jonas is the sheriff of the town that the Drake's live in and he has his hands full trying to keep the women safe. Jonas sees himself as their protector and has since he was young. Jonas has been in love with Hannah since the first time he saw her when he was a young boy. After years of working in the Rangers and for the Defence Department he has settled down as sheriff. When his former boss asks him for a favor Jonas goes and the situation goes horribly wrong and Jonas is injured again, he only makes it out alive thanks to Hannah's help. Jonas tells and shows Hannah how he truly feels and then he is left to watch in horror as she is attacked and nearly murdered on television.

I was waiting quite impatiently for Safe Harbor, which is the 5th book in the Drake Sister series, and Ms. Feehan again delivered a fantastic, well written book that made me laugh, cry and fan myself. An absolutely wonderful book that will be joining my "keep pile" and I will be waiting with baited breath for the next book in the series.

Deidre - Night Owl Romance Reviews
[..]

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, August 1, 2007
Reader (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
What happened, Ms. Feehan?? This was the story I long awaited and found myself skimming the pages then throwing in the garbage. I loathe weak, whiny women and overly macho men. I was sorely disappointed. Hannah and Jonas were more loveable as secondary characters in previous stories. What a let down. I'm amazed Safe Harbor has as many positive reviews as it does as all of the people I've spoken with who've read the book all agree what a disappointment it was. It will be with much trepidation that I read the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action and Emotion.... Feehan does it again, June 28, 2007
When you hide your deepest secrets for so long, it is usually a long hard road to letting them go. Hannah and Jonas both struggle with the need to show a strong face to one and all, even, or should I say, especially to each other. The love that the two of them have for each other has been buried so deep for so many years it couldn't come to the surface easily. Ms Feehan makes the most of a complex situation, adding in the help of the sisters and yes sometime help is harmful, the vicious attack Jonas has to witness and the continuing attacks well,( I was spellbound during the attack on the senitient house...too cool ) it makes for very interesting scenes between Hannah and Jonas in SAFE HARBOR.

As always, Ms. Feehan's action scenes are intense, her characters emotions are deep and her sense of family and the strength uplifting.
While I first fell in love with Ms. Feehan's Carpathians I always count the days to a Drake books release. Not an Ozzie and Harriet sort of family, but one where laughter and an unconditional loyalty to each other always leaves me feeling good for days.

Safe Harbor (Drake Sisters, Book 5)
Safe Harbor (Drake Sisters, Book 5) by Christine Feehan (Mass Market Paperback - June 26, 2007)
$7.99 $7.19