All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now Tikes Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015

Format: Audio CDChange

on January 1, 2009
Blew my mind when I saw this CD while browsing for others. One of my fav's from back in the late 60's. Great stuff...Take the Trip.
on December 4, 2014
I like it, but I'm not you average kind of guy. I enjoy my art slightly askew and rough/ spontaneous. Beefheart gives you that. He is intense and a wildman and he delivers a unique and much welcomed different way of doing things. Amen! Frank Zappa also did things his own way also for which I am ever grateful. Music needs more Beefhearts and Zappas if its ever going to keep from becoming sterilized, which I think it already has become. It's all about the Benjamkns these days. How pathetic we have become. I don't even listen to current music anymore. Anyway, enjoy it and don't worry, you won't be asking where's the beef because its all right here!
on July 27, 2002
What an unbelievable talent the Captain is. His musical and
vocal ranges give me chills every time I pop in the CD; from
the weird acid soaked blues ditty "Electricity" to the
raucous R&B of "Zig Zag Wanderor," "Call on Me" and
"Plastic Factory" to the heartfelt soul of "Where There's
Woman" and "Autumn Child" to the psychedelic boogie of
"Drop Out Boogie" to the straight delta blues of "Grown
so Ugly." His eccentricity and eclecticism would result
in the imfamous "Trout Mask Replica" only two years
on November 16, 2005
I bought this on lp. in the cut out bins around 1970, and have loved it since.Zig Zag, Call On Me etc., all cool, unique record (cd)I don't get whenever I read someone review music from the 50's or 60's say it's dated.Well, so is my 1890's home and my friends 1968 Corvette, but they are cool anyway.You want fresh sounds, buy the hip hop or country or the other packaged, phony crap they have been feeding the public for the last couple of decades.Want a good sign a cd might be good? (usually)Make sure it came out in the era of vinyl.Most of that music has staying power.
on April 19, 2014
I knew I was getting into some avant-garde stuff when I bought this, but I have pretty broad interests in music. The first time I listened through, I felt a little disappointed because it wasn't as edgy as I thought it would be. Then I listened to it a second time and was content. The third listen, I was blown away with various subtleties. If I would speak to other newcomers, I'd say if you like CCR and other southern rock, but can open your mind to stuff that may sound like noise the first few listens, definitely check it out.
on November 24, 2013
Captain Beefheart's work is rocking, bluesy, and experimental. There are a lot of surprises on this album, from the classic road blues syncopation of "Sho 'nuff 'n' yes I do" to the garage rock of "Zig Zag Wanderer" to the doo wop of "I'm Glad" to the pseudo-Tuvan Throat singing of "Electricity"... and that is just the first couple of tracks. Check this album out. You won't be disappointed.
on January 28, 2014
Don VanVleet aka Captain Beefhearts first Lp man those were very different times,no dear there was no Edward Snowdon the
war in Vietnam was really heating up it was a wonderful time for freaks of all kinds to let it all hang out, have had a copy of this
in one form or another sense it first came out 40 years ago,this music is not for squares,so we better move on dear.
on May 21, 2014
Great, very pleased with purchase, all turned out to be exactly. I am very happy to shop this way, so I follow
on April 30, 2015
People love trout mask. I find it more irksome than metal machine music. This on the other hand is undiluted genius. Don invented about six styles of music here, with the clearest influences being on FZ but also Jack White who is probably the smartest rock musician of his generation. Not a hard listen. It's howling wolf on acid.
on May 28, 2013
Legendary can be said of much of what Captain Beefheart recorded. It certainly applies to Safe as Milk! Without exaggeration, this is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. It is bursting with classic songs and sounds as novel today as it did in 1967. Of the bonus tracks, Trust Us stands out particularly. Essential!