5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Published on December 30, 2009 by D. Gregor

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Results
I have a dog so I bought this for the sidewalk outside my back porch. I limited the use to just that area because it's expensive and that's the area where the dog has free reign.

Published 12 months ago by Julie F

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 30, 2009
This has been a great product, have used it for several winter seasons now. Only complaint here in the mountains of Western North Carolina is that almost no stores carry it locally. The few that do sell out and cant keep it in stock. This product goes far and REALLY melts the ice & crusted snow. Turns it a slushy blue/greenish color which is kinda cool. Not sure what the reviewer was talking about regarding one application and it chipped concrete. Nothing will do this short of an Acid. Even pure rock salt, among the worst for concrete, will take several seasons of significant over-salting to do damage. This product is safe and has not harmed anything we have used it on. Buy it you wont be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've used Safe Paw for years and the stuff works!, December 10, 2007
Better yet, it's safe for my dog and that is why I bought it. It's worth every cent, IMO. It works fast, melts snow and ice and has never harmed my dog's paws. If you have a pet who would be walking on a salted area, buy Safe Paw. It's an awesome product! I usually buy 6 canisters and that gets me through a winter in Illinois. You don't need much. A very light sprinkle over an area will suffice. This gets 5 stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars safe ice melting, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Safe Paw Non-Toxic Ice Melter Pet Safe, 8 lbs. 3 oz. (Lawn & Patio)
Regular ice melting salt can cause a lot of problems for pets, and children, pets because of the damage regular salt does to their feet when snow is caught in the paw pads of a dog the dog wants to lick it. When ingested regular street salt, or rock salt, can make a dog, or child very sick. as well as damaging plants and shrubbery. Rock salt is just basically table salts in very large amounts, which are caustic. Safe paws uses a chemical called carbonyl diamide, which basically is nitrogen and is used in many products ex. toothpaste, fertilizers, skin creams, dish soaps and other uses. We have a wooden deck that has steps leading down it into the backyard,the steps can become very icy and dangerous, both for pets and humans. My wife slipped on these steps and was knocked unconscious, the older dogs slipped down them more than once and the kids couldn't go out back at all. Safe paws made our deck steps useable again. It does take more of this to melt all the ice than regular rock salt, so if you have a larger area or need it during a hard winter the larger container may be better for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars CONCRETE SAFE. Works like a charm. Pricey Tho, August 4, 2012
I think this stuff is great for a non-toxic ice melter. I dont have any pets but we have people who walk their dogs by the house daily and outdoor cats so out of courtesy of them i by this stuff. That and it is also concrete safe which is what my driveway is made of. I wish they sold this in a bigger package and was prime eligible. I live in the northeast and this has got me thru a few storms.

UPDATE: January 2013
It is nice to see they have finally dropped the price of 35/lb bucket to be cheaper than the 8lb jug per pound.

Though this is still pricey it is concrete safe. I have a dog now and cats are constantly walking on my driveway and it does not seem to hurt them or irritate them. Also my dog licks the snow off his paws when he comes in so I dont want him eating something toxic. This is not toxic thankfully.

It is a bright blue color so it is easy to see where you have put it. I use the scott's seed spreader to spread this stuff evenly. Seeing as how it is fairly expensive I dont want to waste any so it the spreader is nice to give it an even coat.

It still effective at -2°F

Living in the northeast this salt has gone through many snow storms very effectively. It will usually last up two days at full strength and starts to be less effective after that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe Paw Ice Melter, March 18, 2010
This is the most amazing stuff!!! I have two shih tzus and huges patches of ice. I was worried about using regular salt because it would harm the concrete and be potentially hazardous to my dogs. Then I found Safe Paw and it is the most fabulous ice melter---while still being safe for my pups and the sidewalks!

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Results, April 14, 2013

I live in the Midwest, so snow and ice are a normal part of winter. I used the product in several scenarios: thick ice, before ice formed, moderate snow and heavy snow that had been shoveled. In each case, the ice melter created patchy results. I wasn't able to figure out the right quantity/distribution to achieve consistent melting.

The good feature is the shaker bottle. It is easy to hold and shake. I will keep it for next year and refill with a different brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Safe Paw Ice Melter, April 25, 2010
J. Jones (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This may not be the best ice melter on the market, but it's the best one I've found that my dog can safely walk on. It melts well enough, and it gives me piece of mind that it will not burn my dog's paws. I have purchased before and will continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ONLY ice melter I use!, October 10, 2009
My border collie mix loves the outdoors in cold weather. I really wish more people would use a safe product like this one. If we walk any lengthy distance, I rinse her feet off because rock salt or some other poisonous ice melter could be on her feet.

This is a green product. It's safe for your pets and kids. It's easy to sprinkle on pavements/driveways. Just keep a little extra in supply for those harsh winter storms. I went through at least 3 bottles of this product but it worked very well.

Just sprinkle it during the day on an icy patch. As the sun or temperature warms the ice, the Safe Paw absorbs moisture fairly quickly. It works on the concept that a mixture of water and this product will take a temperture below 32F degrees to freeze again. Just simple chemistry. And a safe product as well. What more could you want? And, it would be highly appreciated by those people who deliver your Amazon products to your door!

5.0 out of 5 stars Safety, December 1, 2006
I wondered how good this performs so I got a bag. I also did some research. The chemicals in regular salt for your driveways has harsh additives that can eat away at your animals delicate paws-- yeah I know on some paws their pads are rough. My neighbor who just moved here from Mexico did not believe me and her dogs paws are now cracked and bleeding. Now just think what it could do to your kids after time and time again when we tell them don't go over there (to the driveway and play) and such they do it anyway. Back to the product..It works like the other salts. I had 1.5 feet of snow and ice and I sprinkled it evenly over and within 15 minutes my driveway was safely driveable. So It is considerably the same as the other brands like Morton or the one with the Road Runner on it but it is MUCH safer. So after 4 bags, (3 weeks worth) I am now posting becuase I am know that my animals and my kids were not harmed

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS THE ONLY ICE MELTER I WILL EVER BUY...IT'S AWESOME!!, February 15, 2009
Safe Paw really works! It does everything it claims...it melts the snow & ice while *not* being harmful to pets, kids, the environment, etc. It is the only ice melter I will ever buy. I've used it for years and will never stray from it.

Safe Paw has a lifetime customer in me!

ARRAY(0x9b8be4bc)