4.0 out of 5 stars Great lock for awkward spots -including pianos!
Published on August 10, 2010 by CO Twin Mommy

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother - zero stars - beware
Published on May 9, 2009 by daniel p

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lock for awkward spots -including pianos!, August 10, 2010
This review is from: Safety 1st 48483/48367 Adjustable Multi-Purpose Strap (Baby Product)
We have several of these and I am ordering more. We have used it to lock our piano keyboard lid (although we used 3M Command Poster Adhesive Strip Value Pack instead of the included strips as to not damage the lacquer finish). We have also used it to lock a mini fridge and now we will get more for our side-by-side fridge. (Many of the other fridge locks won't work with ours.) We have used these for over a year with two very industrious (now) 3 year olds and they have yet to figure them out.

The adhesive on most babyproofing products is marginal at best. We have found that 3M Command Poster Adhesive Strip Value Pack(used without the hooks) works just as well and is easier to eventually remove (by you, not the kiddos).

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother - zero stars - beware, May 9, 2009
daniel p (Savannah, GA) - See all my reviews
After carefully following the directions and applying these straps they turned out to be COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. The quality of the adhesive is terrible. It doesn't matter what kind of surface I tried (and I tried numerous with new straps) it doesn't stick. They barely have the strength to hold themselves on to a cabinet or door, let alone being yanked on by curious tots. The adhesive is so bad that it doesn't even stay adhered to itself - let me explain. The backing is basically two sided foam tape and one side is already attached to the product and the other side you simply peel and press. The thing is, not only did it not stay adhered to my cabinet but some of the straps actually left the adhesive tape on the cabinet and came off of the actual plastic piece that was supposed to be locking it! If it can't even stay attached to itself how on earth can it do the job as advertised? Seriously this is a MAJOR SAFETY HAZARD and this product is going to really cause problems. It does say on the package that this is a deterrent and that adult supervision is necessary blah blah blah...but honestly people, it is not even a deterrent in the slightest sense of the word. In fact, it's more likely to attract curiosity from your child and then cause a problem when they give the "strapped" object even the slightest pull. Also, to put things in perspective I am using this for an 11 month old...so I can't imagine how larger and older children would fare. It's only a matter of time (hopefully sooner than later) until this product is taken off the market (or vastly improved) - and I only hope that it is because enough people complain and not because a child has been seriously injured. Absolute trash.

4.0 out of 5 stars good strap for awkward cabinets, September 22, 2007
This strap works really well for difficult cabinets. The only reason I gave it 4, and not 5 stars, is that the one that I use to lock the trash up, the adhesive pulled off after my daughter tried to pull it numerous times. It works "enough" and I just pop it back on. I have not replaced it and plan on continuing to use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars work perfectly, December 16, 2011
I'm surprised to see so many reviews noting that these locks don't stick. We have 4 in our kitchen to keep our toddler out of cabinets and all have stayed in place for over a year --- and he tugs hard on the one locking his snack drawer! Quite frankly I'm concerned about removing the locks and damaging the wood as these suckers are on sooo securely - that is why I'm only giving these 4 stars not 5. I wish I read the tip about using 3M removable tapes before I installed ours. Bottom line- I highly recommend this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, my son has already bypassed it, December 17, 2009
Mindy (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My son, who is a one-year old, has already outsmarted this thing. He's figured out that if he yanks hard enough, it gives. The sticky part doesn't stick very well. I think it worked for a total of two months for us. Save your money and buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm happy with this product, December 27, 2009
My son is almost 20 months old, and I didn't want to drill holes in his furniture, so I was looking for an alternative to that. I found these straps and got 2 sets (3 for drawers and 1 for a cabinet of his dresser) and they work fabulously. I've had them now for about 6 weeks and we haven't had any problems with them. They stick pretty well- they've not fallen off at all. Some of the people that may have had problems with them may not have waited the 24 hours for the adhesive to set as the item suggests to do. I would recommend this product and am actually on the market for more for my kitchen- The only thing that I am not totally happy about is the cost of them. I think they're fairly expensive, since I need about 5 of them for my kitchen.

3.0 out of 5 stars worked well at first, August 11, 2010
I used the strap to keep my 2yr old out of the refrigerator, I applied and waited 24 hours for the adhesive to stick. It worked for about a week and the adhesive pulled off from the strap (the adhesive is still stuck to the refrigerator though). So I'm going to try some super glue or gorilla glue and maybe that will hold it on. My 2yr old is pretty strong though, so it might work for most kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars works only with modification, December 13, 2009
A. Wong (Gaithersburg, MD) - See all my reviews
i only got these to work on my sons changing table by actually taking a screw and screwing it into the wood. one side is sticky enough to hold the sides securely, but the other side has too many holes where there is not enough surface for it to stick. it works well on a drawer with area between the drawer and top of the cabinet where a traditional drawer latch would not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adhesive has lasted 4 years!, June 10, 2011
I'm boggled as to what has happened to this product with all these poor reviews saying the adhesive doesn't work well. These have worked great in our home for 4 years on drawers and cupboard doors. I've now got the issue of how to remove them without damaging the surfaces! The most convenient and effective locks we found.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, February 9, 2011
I thought that these were the greatest thing in the world but after about a month they were awful. I did have a few that would not stick but most of them did, when they do come off they took off all of the paint, not huge I will just repaint. But after a short time all of the straps started braking (the clear plastic part) after a few month or shorter on things like the fridge they all broke, and now all I have are spots were pait is missing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›