5.0 out of 5 stars was in car accident with it
Published on December 29, 2011 by chelseyadele

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK, but I returned it for a Britax.
Published on October 6, 2010 by nanel

5.0 out of 5 stars was in car accident with it, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat, Lamont (Baby Product)
this seat is amazing, yes it can be a chore to clean and it is large in comparison to other seats but its size only makes more comfort for child. my son is 16 months old and last week we were in a major auto accident totaled our car and an electric pole went into our car next to my sons car seat. He was okay only a small bruise from the impact pushing the seat belt into his skin. The Emts could not get over how great the seat protected him we hit the pole going 70 mph and i was told he should of been hurt pretty badly but his car seat saved him. One of the Emts even said he was going to buy the same seat for his child after seeing it save my sons life. I am very lucky in my opinion i had this seat and seems to me the emts thought so too

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3yr old walked away from a head on crash because of this car seat!!!!!, October 9, 2012
This is the 1st review I have ever felt compelled to leave. I purchased this car seat a little less than a year ago and have been very pleased with it and then a few days ago I was struck head on by a drunk driver traveling at about 50 mph and my 3yr old son walked away from the crash completely unharmed. I can not tell you how thankful I am that he was uninjured and that his car seat performed exactly as it should have if I could give this car seat 10 stars I would I have already ordered another one to replace the one that was involved in the accident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant beat it for the price, March 24, 2014
Safety First makes a couple different styles of this particular car seat but they are all basically the same and pretty much every major store has one of their designs (even Walmart). For the price, you really cant beat these things. If you want a convertible car seat but you are on a budget, you are going to be hard pressed to something as comfortable and long-lasting.
I know some people complain about these car seats being a little big but that's because they are supposed to last until your child is ready to be out of a car seat entirely. For that kind of versatility, you're going to sacrifice some space. For the most part, it's really only an issue if you have it rear-facing. We put in the middle of our back seat (the safest spot in your car) and didn't have too much of a problem, even in our Honda Accord. Once it is forward facing, you really don't have the space issue. But the way the seat is designed, it may be a bit of a pain to recline the seat once it's all strapped in. I just always leave it reclined since it never seemed to bother either of my sons. Also, if you are transferring it back and forth from one car to the next, it is not a light seat. Although, this was never really a minus for me since that means its also not a flimsy piece of junk plastic.
At first, the seat can be a bit of a pain to get in and out of a car and the LATCH strap may seem short (usually this is because you are using the wrong belt path) but once you get used to it, it's no problem at all. I like that the belt goes inside the seat to secure it. It makes me feel like the belt will keep it and my child in the car no matter what. There is even a belt along the back of the seat for bucket seats. When everything is strapped the way it's supposed to be, the seat does not wiggle.
The thing I like best is that this seat in particular has a cover that comes off pretty easy. It's machine washable too so if there is any mess (my youngest had the magic ability to get his seat messy once a day) it's not a huge hassle to take the cover off.
Overall, this is the seat I have liked the best after 6 or 7 different seats with my two boys. It offers families on a budget the opportunity to keep their baby in the harness buckles as recommended for as long as they possibly can without breaking the bank. It is fully convertible and adjustable to accommodate children from 0 to 100 lbs. Most other seats that make that claim are three times this price and way outside of the normal persons budget.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tips for Rear-Facing Installation (in a small vehicle), January 3, 2013
This car seat is a fantastic product at an amazing price (at the time we purchased it in 11/2012 it was $110). While researching a car seat for our first child, my husband and I were excited about the prospect of the Alpha Omega Elite's three-way conversion but were dismayed when we could not figure out how to install it rear-facing without being excessively wobbly, no matter what we tried.

So after 5+ hours of researching online, reading manuals and watching online instructional videos on YouTube (such as the one for the Safety 1st Complete Air, which is **NOT** the same model but still offers a visual for parents like us who have never installed a car seat before), my husband set out towards our car with determination in his eyes!

Before we begin, here's some facts about our installation of an Alpha Omega Elite in "Lamont":

* Our car is a 2004 Chevrolet Caviler (4-door)

* We used the LATCH system. Our car does not offer the LATCH system in the middle backseat, so we had to put it behind the passenger's seat. My husband also attempted the seatbelt installation in the middle, but he could not tighten it properly because the belt was quite stubborn and kept twisting after being thread through the carseat.

* Upon first attempt it was installed behind the driver's seat, but due to our car's size that required the driver's seat to be pushed up all the way. This made it extremely difficult to move between the pedals, and we felt like that posed a hazard we weren't willing to take (especially when driving around our little one)!

Rear-Facing Installation Tips w/ LATCH
--------------------------------------

* Read your car's owner's manual and the Safety 1st instructions. We did not know until reading our car's manual that a 2004 Caviler does not offer LATCH in the middle backseat.

* Make sure your car is on level ground.

* Use a rolled up towel/blanket, as suggested in the manual. Ours was the size of CD once rolled-up.

* Connect the LATCH hooks as instructed.

* Consider putting an object/tool through the tightening loop to help provide grip/leverage as you pull on the straps to tighten them. My husband used the handle of his groove joint pliers, similar to these: Stanley 84-024 10-Inch Bi-Material Groove Joint Pliers.

* As you tighten, put as much of your weight as possible on the carseat. My husband tried using his knee, but ultimately just used his hand due to lack of space in our backseat.

* My husband then used the head of his groove joint pliers to give one more good pull. While pulling, he also shifted the carseat side to side while still making sure to apply weight. This allowed him to achieve additional tightness.

* Check for movement/wobbliness. Ours will not even budge at the belt path after my husband applied the above methods. Threading the handle of the pliers though the loop seemed to be what helped him most. He just couldn't get a good enough handle on it with bare hands.

Additional Thoughts
-------------------

Make no mistake -- installing this car seat requires A LOT of patience and you will probably lose your wits before it's in, but keep trying. Even though we are satisfied with how it is installed now we still plan to have the installation looked at by a NHTSA-certified inspector [...], just to ease our minds. Please consider doing the same, since according to AAA almost 75% of carseats are not installed properly these days.

We hope these tips help ease parent frustrations. Good luck installing your Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK, but I returned it for a Britax., October 6, 2010
After reading TONS of reviews, I thought I would try this carseat because it was a great price for all the features it offers. I was very excited when I purchase the Triton colored covertible car seat. I like how it can be used for children up to 100 lbs. The material was soft and it looked like a comfy seat for my 11 month old son. My son looked so uncomfortable when I put him in the seat before installing but I thought I had positioned him wrong. The installation was easy, I don't know how some people could say it is difficult, you just have to read everything before you put it in. Also, when in the rear facing position I had to put towels underneath the carseat so that the seat was at a 45 degree angle. I wasn't too fond of that. The carseat moves around ALOT, so I used the seatbelt AND the latch system which made the carseat a little more secure. I put my son in after installing into my Nissan Murano and we went on a test drive, he cried the whole time. I stopped the car and checked on him and his head seemed like it was being pushed forward a little bit. I think if he was in the forward facing position, it would be even worse, he looked extremely uncomfortable.

I think this is an OK carseat, but I am a first time mom and want the best for my baby. I returned the Safety 1st carseat and ended up buying a Britax 70 Boulevard because of its five star reviews. I have had it for 2 weeks and my son falls asleep everytime I put him in it. I dont have to use towels to keep it level and the Latch System is awesome. The carseat doesnt move AT ALL. It is expensive but I am willing to pay that much for the safety and comfort that it offers. I LOVE IT! Amazon has them priced about 50 dollars cheaper than anywhere I have checked. Hope this helps :)

1.0 out of 5 stars price is its best feature, March 15, 2014
Let me begin with I had a Chicco infant carrier. The base is really easy to install, remove and reinstall (5 minutes tops) My mom purchased 2 of the Alphas for my son as a gift (we need 4 seats $$) I just installed 2 of them. These seats are why carseats are not installed correctly. My (big!) Britek Advocate went in my sedan without any problems-rearfacing. The Alphas do not fit in a full size SUV or a good size sedan rearfacing at all. To get it forward facing required me to climb into the seat and push against the front seats with my feet while my father fought to hook the LATCHes. Which brings me to my next complaint: the lower strap for the LATCH system is short! So short that you almost cannot hook them and forget about tightening the strap because there isnt enough to grasp in order to pull. Would making them 3 inches longer have really affected the price point? I had to use the seatbelt in conjunction to get it not to wobble. When I went to tighten the straps around my child, I had to pull at several different angles with all my strength. I could not imagine attempting to do this with any physical limitations or pregnant. The Chicco brand was very easy to operate and I puchased a Britek for my car (primary vehicle) and the LATCHes were easy there was never an issue about rearfacing and getting it installed was a breeze.
I do not recommend this carseat at anypoint. Who knows if it is safe in an accident if you cannot get it installed without wanting to scream!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, March 11, 2013
Awesome Carseat, love it, i have one for each of my boys (1year old and 3 year old), easy to carry,easy to clean, fits them great. easy to install, i would recommend this to EVERYONE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, but at least safe, April 11, 2014
The biggest problem I have found with most kids car seats are tightening the straps. Most of them either are very hard to pull or get off-center really easy. We have two of these car seats - one is hard to pull, the other gets off center. Neither is as bad as other car seats I've tested though. And more importantly it has tested well in safety tests.

On the comfort front, my two year old LOVES this. She loves getting in it. If we take it out of one of the cars, she'll sit in it and strap herself in. On long car rides, she does great in it too. Doesn't get uncomfortable at all and rarely complains about getting back in on multiple day trips. So for the price, definitely no complaints. Yes, there are fancier ones out there, but I'll be getting another one when our youngest is ready for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable, January 21, 2014
This is a nice car seat. 7 month old loves it as she sits comfortably in it. I am thinking of ordering one more for grandmas car, (that's me)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Seat, Hard to Install Rear-Facing, January 1, 2013
I really like this seat and the overall quality of it; however, it is a nightmare to install in the rear-facing position for my one-year-old. The belt that is meant to tighten the seat into position using the LATCH system, never gets tight enough. I would recommend this seat for forward-facing little riders only!

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat, Lamont