Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

on July 22, 2011
FINAL UPDATE: 3/21/2015
Hey everybody! I just wanted to provide another (and likely the last) update to the ongoing mattress review. We upgraded to a big girl bed months ago, however, the mattress was still in great shape, so I donated it to a friends who were expecting a "surprise" baby. Well, said baby caught a viral bug and got sick in the crib. Today, I got a call from the mom RAVING about how resilient the mattress was. She cleaned with clorox spray and that was it. No stains, no odor, no nothing. I still love this mattress and think it will be one of your wises baby investments. I want to thank everyone for all of the comments, funny emails and questions! I welcome anymore anytime. Good luck with the kids! Six year olds are totally cray-cray, BTW ;)
UPDATE: 2/3/2014
Hi everyone! We just converted the crib to a toddler bed last week for a very sneaky and clever 27 month old. We still use this same mattress and we still adore it. Sheets are the same, blankets are the same, only now she can come and go out of bed as she pleases. No worries...her room has been "sweeped" for dangers and there is an additional baby gate at the door to keep Houdini safely inside. If anyone wants to check out my blog, it's loaded with this kind of thing plus a ton of other helpful (and humorous!) stories, how tos, reviews and how not tos! If you like it, please share with your friends as well as your internet friends...Thanks so much!! [...]

UPDATE: 5/30/13
This mattress is still AHHH-MAZING!! I say this because it has retained it's shape and form beautifully and if baby's diaper leaks overnight (and they will as they get bigger!) you can easily clean the mess. We use a waterproof mattress pad, but still, when everything is in the wash, I still give it a good wipe down. Baby loves it and she's 20 months now. One thing i really appreciate about it and you may not care about this, but since there are no springs, she has never had the urge to try and jump up and down on it and escape the crib.

Also, some of you have asked about the size of the mattress and it is at least average crib mattress size, if not longer. I am paranoid by design and I never had one unsafe thought or experience with this mattress. I suppose if you are using an older crib or a HUGE one, you may have minor issues, but we use a solid wood crib to full size bed convertible type ($$!...don't even get me started on the cost of a good heirloom crib!), and problems.

Feel free to contact me here with any questions. I was happy to see that so many people enjoyed my original review and I am more than happy to answer any questions- big or small- that you may have. I love this mattress more now then I did nearly two years ago and I am super finicky. For the price, you simply can't lose.

I ordered this mattress 2 days ago and it was on my doorstep this afternoon. I have to say that I am floored by the quality. This is for our second daughter (on her way) and our oldest used a mattress 2x this price and when I compared them side by side, I was blown away.

Here's why:
1. It's a dense, high quality memory foam with a waterproof cover on it (removable)
2. Contrary to what other reviewers say, it's big; as a matter of fact, it's a good 1.5" longer than our brand name more expensive mattress that pales in comparison. The old one is like sitting on a series of crunchy springs and the new one is like sitting on a tempur-pedic with a non-crunchy waterproof cover.

I did a lot of anal retentive research in this purchase and am shocked that this is the real price for this mattress. Don't hesitate on this one. It feels and looks very high end. You'll be glad I did all the psychotic research for you in advance.
4646 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
I think this mattress is a great value! The foam is nice and firm, but its very light which is great for changing the crib bedding, the cover is waterproof which is great, and it even has a zipper if for some reason there is ever a reason that you would need to remove the cover. When i opened it there were no weird odors or plastic-type smells which was a relief. I also noticed the tag on mine says its made in Canada which is nice to know. Im really happy with this purchase and i would recommend this mattress to anyone that wants a perfectly fine crib mattress for less money :)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 29, 2013

As promised, I am updating the review of this item. My daughter is now 3 days shy of being 6 months old. She was born prematurely in late February & since the day we brought her home, she has been sleeping exclusively in her crib, using this mattress.

Based on my past research, I was confident that this mattress was the right choice and I stand behind it 100%. We've been laying our daughter in the same position and it still holds it's shape (no impressions/sagging). I like that it is easy to clean and during each crib sheet change, I wipe it down with either Lysol wipes or a damp cloth & follow it up with some Lysol. Of course, I let it dry before putting my baby back onto it.

Another tidbit to add is that I'm using the Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor, Auqa/White with the mattress and have absolutely zero issues. Movement is detected very well.

There's really not much more to add other than I'm 100% satisfied with this product. I still can't believe how much it costs in comparison to the $100+ alternatives. This mattress is well worth the price you pay.

My wife and I are expecting next spring, but as most parents do, they go ahead and get their furniture prior to the baby arriving. I've been reading baby books and various parenting forums on how to prepare for your child and my choices/opinions are based on my research. While I can't say whether or not my research is the "best way", it met every guideline I could find on baby mattresses.

For references, the crib we purchased was the Delta Bentley S Series 4-in-1 Crib chocolate. Without further ado, here are the reasons why I chose this mattress...

For babies, there are two types of mattresses out there: foam & inner spring. Since the Safety 1st mattress is all foam, there are a few guidelines I read about in regards to baby mattresses. First and foremost is the risk of SIDS. To reduce your chances, the mattress must be FIRM. The softer the mattress, the greater the suffocation/SIDS risk. Mattresses aimed for older children/adults are typically much softer than those of baby mattresses. That's why baby mattresses tend to be on the firmer side. Regardless of thickness, the FIRMER the better. An easy test for resiliency of a foam mattress is to just use your hand. Press on the center of the mattress with your hand and then remove it. Take note of how soft it is and secondly, how quickly it regains the shape. The faster the "impression" recovers, the better. Sleeping babies will make impressions while laying on the mattress and if it's not firm enough, they can't change position and hence will get "stuck" sleeping in that position... which leads to suffocation & SIDS. Perform the same test at the edges as well (babies will start to move around as they get older and may end up on the sides/corners while moving around while sleeping).

The cover (vinyl) is made of hypoallergenic and free of phthalates and lead. It is easy to clean (stain/odor resistant) and tear resistant. Babies will have accidents (leaky diapers) and you want to be able to properly clean the cover to get rid of any bacteria or harmful organisms.

Having purchased the crib mentioned prior, I was worried about fitment issues. Based on, a baby's mattress needs to be snug with no more than 2 fingers of space between the sides and the mattress. Too much space can lead to entrapment hazards and even worse, suffocation of your baby. By my web research on our crib, another owner mentioned that this mattress was a *PERFECT* fit. And so, I bought it knowing that it is the right size for my crib.

Of all the mattresses out there, this one is ranked #1 on Amazon. Originally I was going to get Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Ultra Deluxe 2 n 1 Crib and Toddler Mattress, Neutral just because of the name but after reading both, I decided I could get the Safety first. Currently the average rank for this mattress is 4.5 stars with 649 reviews at the time of this writing. Compare this to 84 reviewers of the Simmons mattress... personally I'd trust the opinions of 500+ more random people.

Hope my review helps!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2015
Shocked that this got such great reviews. Advertised as 52.5 inches in length, it is 49 inches and does NOT fit our standard size crib. It is too short of either side. I could almost fit his entire hand between the mattress and the end of the crib. Incredibly disappointed.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2012
I bought this after reading nearly all of the reviews. Most are very favorable, but there were a couple that had me concerned. Since there were mostly really good reviews, I decided to risk it.

Since most product descriptions do not list where the product is manufactured, the review mentioning that it was made in Canada was helpful to me and I am pleased about this since I am wary of plastic products made in certain countries. I was also happy that the mattress I received was manufactured just 2 months prior to my receiving it. Not sure why that is such a good thing, but I guess I like that it has not been sitting in a funky warehouse for months or years.

To address some negative reviews: A couple said this mattress is far too soft and I would like to assure you that this is not the case as it is extremely firm. Perhaps those buyers got a lemon or would prefer their infant sleep on a slab of concrete. Firmness is definitely suitable for infants.
The other review I was concerned about stated that their crib sheets did not fit this mattress, so that had me a little worried. Fortunately, mine fit like a dream and so does my crib pad.
A couple reviews said the mattress didnt fit their cribs perfectly and I am pleased to report that it fits my Babi Italia standard size convertible crib absolutely perfectly with no spaces whatsoever.

After purchasing this, I noticed that it has been a baby best seller on amazon for over 800 days! I can see why.

I am exteremly happy that I bought this and recommend it to you. Of course I want nothing but the best for my baby, and in this case, I found a wonderful mattress for him at a fraction of the cost of other comparable ones.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2015
Way too small for the crib. When I initially put the mattress into the crib. It appeared to be fine. The problem is, the mattress shrunk SIGNIFICANTLY when I put the sheet on it. Let guess it because it's due to the low density of the foam in the mattress. Check out the photos I took to see how much the mattress shrunk. I honestly couldn't believe it. Returned it for a better, non shrinking one Arron another retailer.
review image review image
on February 22, 2011
i was skeptical when i ordered this. thought it might be chinsy because of the price, but it's a really nice mattress. very firm, i was checking out mattresses at target and burlington and the very firm ones were running $70-$80. i would buy this again if i ever need a crib mattress again.
on August 19, 2011
We are expecting our first child and ordered this mattresss after doing some research both in stores and online for good prices and quality. We are very pleased with this mattress and its size. Some reviewers have said the mattress was too small for their crib and left awful gaps. In our case it wasn't a issue at all. We have a Graco Lauren 4-in-1 crib and the Heavenly Dreams mattress was one of the first to be recommended by Amazon itself. We measured and the mattress fits snuggly and has dimensions close to 52" long x 27.5", the long side could be measured closer to 51.75" or so because you have to make sure to measure on the 'real' end of the mattress instead of just the binding because it's flexability. Width-wise it is a nice and tight fit. There is maybe, and I stress maybe, less than a 1/4 of an inch on either end.

It came wrapped in heavy duty plastic bag with heat sealing on each end. There were no marks or dings on the packaging. The information sheet that was attached to the mattress did have some sticky residue on the mattress, but you can either remove that with just water, WD-40, or plain vegetable oil and then wash off whatever substance you use. We used water to get it off and it just took a little elbow grease. The waterproof cover looks wonderful, so I doubt we will even get a liner to go over it.

We chose this mattress for our child because of the solid foam core. Our little girl may have a genetic condition called O.I. or Brittle Bone Disease and a firm mattress is a must. Its soft enough to sleep on comfortably and firm enough for support. We're really excited to have our daughter test it out completely. We're also posting our pictures of the mattress in the crib for you to see for yourself. ^_^
review image review image review image
on February 18, 2013
We just got this in the mail about an hour ago. Baby isn't here yet but it fits perfect in our Jenny Lind crib! We also have the carter jeresy fitted sheet over it and it all fits perfect.
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
Not too firm, not too's just right! Baby is comfortable. I'm very pleased with the purchase of this crib mattress it seems just as good as the other high priced mattress but for a fraction of the cost.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse