Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Safety 1st Sound 'n Lights Activity Walker
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 7, 2009
*****UPDATE~1 year of use update is at the bottom******

I don't understand why so many people are giving these a negative review(I'll address those in a minute) because my girls LOVE these & play in them EVERY single day, several times a day.

We first got these when my girls were 7 months old(see my pics posted above) & both of them were small for their age, my smallest was about 25" & she was able to push heself backward the very 1st time in these. I put tennis shoes on both girls since we were using them outside and that really helped them touch better & give good traction. At first they didn't realize they could move themselves in these, that happened on accident and soon enough both girls realized they could push themselves backward. Learning to go forward took a couple of weeks but once they learned that they were even happier with these. My girls can "drive" super fast in these, they zoom all over in these laughing & squealing with delight. They love to run into things with these, including eachother...like a demolition derby but even when they are speeding & bump into eachother all they do is crack up laughing.

Now to address some of the negative reviews that I have read.
*there are a lot saying that this was too tall for their baby but I find that hard to believe considering my smallest was about 25"(5th%) when I 1st put her in this. And she is still less than 27" but I've put it on the higest setting(just to test) and she is still able to touch and get around. I think most babies have to 'learn' to use a walker so that may be why people think it is too tall...give them a little time to figure out what this new device is that you've put them in and soon enough they'll figure out what to do.

*I've read it was cheaply made. Well my girls have played in these a LOT, they run into eachother, couches, etc. and nothing has broken, fallen off or worn out. These are really sturdy in my opinion. Plus, I don't understand why people are buying one of the cheapest walkers available and then complaining it is cheaply made...Um, buy the much more expensive Chicco...it's like buying a Cavalier & complaining because it isn't as nice as a Volvo.

*I've read you can't change the batteries. There are several people on here who have explained exactly how you can change the batteries. My girls used their music/lights a lot in the beginning and 4 months later they are still going strong although they don't turn it on a whole lot anymore, they like driving around more than anything.

*I've read the toys aren't that fun. My girls have liked the provided toys from the beginning. Plus I added more toys/teething toys for them which is a very simple solution if your child doesn't enjoy the provided toys.

*There is one nutty person who hates all walkers in general, thinks they are unsafe so they would give all walkers a bad review, they just happened to get this one as a gift...and to show a thank you to the person who got it for them they said they hope the person who gave it to them would never have kids...can you say Crazy!!

All in all this walker is great for the money. I also love that the toy tray removes completely...if it were like one of the ones that stay attached and open for snacks they would be able to touch the toys and get food all over them. We also use these as seats when we visit people...since they've outgrown their bouncers, we can put them on carpet in these and they have a safe and lovely seat or if on hard surfaces and we don't want them rolling about we just put something like a blanket under them so they can't roll.

If you have lots of extra money to spend then buy the Chicco, since it is almost double the cost of this one I'm sure it probably is much nicer, plus I think the colors of the Chiccos are better and to be quite honest, had I not been buying 2 walkers at once, I would have purchased the Chicco myself(I also think the Chicco wheels are probably better, the Chicco wheels look just like the wheels on my girls Wheeley Bugs & they flow over everything perfectly smoothly no matter what-the Safety First wheels don't seem as nice or like they are as smooth but we've had no problems with them). BUT if you like to save money and still want something that works just fine then buy this Safety 1st.

*******UPDATE*******
So my girls have been using these seats basically everyday, normally several times a day(anywhere from 30 min to over an hour each time) for a year now so I thought I'd give an update.

My girls still LOVE them!! The seats are still in perfect condition, well, the lights/sounds no longer work since the batteries are dead but they don't care about that at all. Even if this had never had the lights/sounds they would not have minded. I've washed the seats in the washing machine many, many times and it still looks like new, no holes, no fading, nothing wrong at all, even the thick foam has held its shape perfectly. Nothing has broken, the toys are still in tact. Besides the lights/sounds they are just like they were when we bought them.

These are one of the few things that my husband and I feel we definately got our moneys worth & then some. Not only do these seats give my girls independance, they give me & my husband some free time as well. We have a big/long living room and I put up gates so they have to stay in here. Everything is arranged so they can't run into anything dangerous and they can't grab anything they're not supposed to. They LOVE watching cartoons so every morning after breakfast our routine is for them to get in their walkers, I put on their educational cartoons & I can do anything that I need to do: start laundry, computer stuff, etc. They normally relax and lay back with their head resting on the thick foam when they are watching cartoons and they always end up chasing eachother & cracking up laughing. Sometimes I put objects on the couch or chairs that are within their reach w/out them seeing me because they think they've really found some treasure ; )

I think the weight limit on this is like 26lbs and I believe my girls will be using these till they reach the limit. They've been walking for months now but still enjoy these tremendously.
review image review image review image review image review image
44 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2007
I love the fact that this walker folds down for storage. And you can't beat the price but to change the batteries on this thing is a pain to say the least! My husband used a 1/4 inch open end-boxed end wrench with a phillips head screwdriver bit to remove the screws on each side of the steering wheel. The one in the center is for the light which can be changed too. Once you are inside the steering wheel(Congrats by the way!) remove the two screws on the inside and turn this piece over to reveal the batteries. It takes four lithium batteries. I don't know the size as of it. I read reviews saying the battery was souldered into place. The only thing I can figure is she was trying to remove the speaker. I hope this helps!
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2012
Safety 1st does not make this easy - but it is do-able. You will need a Philips head offset screwdriver (ratcheting is best), a fairly small Philips head screwdriver, and four button cell batteries (1.5V G13-A, which are the same batteries found in cheap cat-entertaining laser pointers and some led flashlights). It's pretty easy once you gather your tools: Without removing the steering wheel from the base, locate the three screws holding the top and bottom sections of the wheel together; unscrew the three screws with your ratcheting screwdriver and separate - you will see a circuit board with two led lights and one speaker (this may be mistaken for a big watch battery) coming off of it; unscrew the two screws holding the circuit board down - the batteries are on the underside of this piece; pop out the four old batteries; pop in fresh batteries (make sure that they read 1.5V in the multimeter; test to make sure it works; screw the circuit board back on, then the top.

I found it very annoying that I couldn't find any information as to the type of batteries that I needed, or how many - so here it is: four (4) G13-A button cell batteries. They are 1.5V. These are, incidentally, the same batteries that are in those laser pointers that they make for entertaining cats.
on March 2, 2009
I needed a walker for my 8 month old as he's really hitting the exploring urge and I wanted a safe place to put him down. I couldn't but a used one (due to the stupid CPSIA law) and this was the cheapest one Wally World had. The shape is cute. I didn't realize until I got it home that it looked like a rocket.

That said, I will now address some other comments I've seen. No, it doesn't have many toys and the ones it has *are* pitiful. But what do you expect for a cheap walker? And guess what? Doesn't matter how many cool toys it has. After a couple of weeks your kid WILL get bored with them anyway. Which is why it's nice that the toy tray comes off and gives you a place to put your own toys down. They'll get thrown on the floor but hey, it's the principle of the thing. ;0) The music is terribly loud. I put a piece of tape over the speaker holes (under one corner of the steering wheel thing). I'm not too sure about changing the batteries. I had to force the wheel to access the screws and then it didn't want to play at all for a while. Not sure why.

Now, as to the height of the walker. Of course it's too high for a 4-6 month old. They're too young to walk and probably too short. If you buy it for a child that age it's just another place to sit them down where they can't fall over. If they can't hold themselves in a sitting position yet they're too young for a walker. That's what bouncy seats are for. Maybe this is a little high for some kids but mine are all on the short side of average there, so make of that what you will. Possibly the company didn't want to make too low a setting that might encourage older infants from pushing themselves out and falling. Just a thought.
on August 14, 2007
First of all, I thought the steering wheel was cute. It was advertised as having flashing lights & music, and it looked cute from the box. BUT, no one can get to let alone change the battery, the seat has tiny plastic pieces that slide into place to hold it in, and they don't really want to stay that way. The flashing lights didn't work, then did, and now they don't, and we just bought this yesterday. For the brief what, 3 minutes the lights started working. The music was loud and painful. The lights feature is 2 small red flashing lights on the steering wheel. *so disappointed.
It isn't designed well, and it doesn't function properly. It can actually be used as a walker, and it is cute, but we are certainly taking this back.
on February 5, 2013
My son is a preemie and is small for his age, and I was expecting it to be too large for him. He is 17" long, and it works perfectly for him on the lowest setting. I think that it would fit most 7 month old's well. The batteries can't be replaced, but it does have an on/off switch, so it should last a long time if you remember to turn it off when your child is done with it. My only complaint would be that the back wheels don't swivel, which I've found to be true in most of the models I've seen. It doesn't limit his mobility much, and it even does well on my plusher carpet. Although at Grandma's house with a less plush carpet it doesn't seem to move as well.
on July 13, 2007
My son is 6 months old and can barely reach the floor. He is normal height and weight, but has a longer upper body (like me!) I bought this thinking that since you can adjust the height, it would work. The lowest setting is still slightly too high. Not impressed. Kinda boring. Maybe we can start using it in a few weeks, but for now, I wish I had bought something else.
on February 5, 2010
My daughter is 5 months old and can barely reach the ground with her tippy toes on the lowest setting. I saw that this is height adjustable, but little did I know it only has two settings and both of them are extremely tall. It says 4months and above so I figured that it would be talking about average babies but its definitely too tall and Mylinn is a little longer than normal. The toys are simple but thats fine especially for the cheap price we paid, but what good is it if she can't reach the ground to walk in it. The product itself is great I think, exactly as described, but they need to include a height minimum for this or more adjustable settings.
on March 8, 2007
My baby just turned four months when I ordered this walker in February. Although the pediatrician recommended no walkers at this age, I used my judgement and decided since our home was one level, and I am home all day, I could watch my baby safely while he was in the walker. When the walker arrived, I read the instructions and assembled the walker in 20 minutes. I place him in the walker and used some baby blankets to help prop his trunk muscles so he could sit upright. He didn't cry and this was all new to him. I pushed, pulled him until he told me he was tired. He's now five months and can propel himself backwards and side to side in small steps. He hasn't moved forward too much, but of course that will change. In short, this walker is safe, durable and resonable priced. The colors and rocket shape is a bit funky retro. I did remove two items off the "control panel", the two arched movable toys, because it was too much. The nice thing as well as the control panel comes off completely to reveal a tray. The seat also easily detaches and just throw it in the washer/dryer. Rest of the walker can be cleaned by wiping with soap and water. There are three height level adjustments to the walker. And the walker collapes for storage. To summerize, I would definately recommend this walker, for it's durablility, practicality and to increase motor skills, perception for the baby.
on September 22, 2008
I bought this because the price was right and the colors were good. But I couldn't tell from the pictures that the seat has the leg holes like a chair... The Holes are supposed to be straight down, not to the front with a flat piece for the child to sit... That makes it very difficult to stand in. My son is a big 6 month old and he gets quite aggitated when he tries to go forward and the seat gets in his way. He is very good at pushing backwards though. If we have him standing out of it and just hold his hands, he can walk just fine. Hope they change the pattern of the seat.