Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 21, 2007
When my oldest daughter was about 18 months, we realized that we needed to do a bit more babyproofing than we'd initially done. The electrical outlets were covered, but she was pulling open the oven, the fridge, the fireplace. Since technology hasn't advanced to the point where I can clone myself and have the clones watch her, something else had to be done.

Since that time, I've gone through several locks for the fridge door and (no lie) have had to use duct tape to hold the fireplace doors shut. I bought this lock, and it lasted about 2-1/2 years. The adhesive finally gave out tonight, so it cost us approximately $1.52 a year to keep her from burning herself.

Our oldest is actually old enough to understand not to bother the oven, but her little sister is nearly 18 months old. So, we're buying another to keep *her* safe. I don't think that any adhesive is going to be absolutely permanent when used on a hot surface like an oven, but this one worked very well for us. We're buying a second one, anyway.
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2008
Unfortunately when I got this product I realized that my oven handle is in the way. With how close my oven handle is to the oven door this latch wouldn't work. The handle does not allow the latch to release fully. If you are going to buy this product make sure your oven handle is actually lower than the top of the door so that it doesn't interfere with the latch.
11 comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2008
I purchased a few of these just in case. They're fantastic!!!

When my 18 month old started pulling the oven door open, I had all kinds of horrific images going through my head.

I'm so glad I found these. Very easy to install, just peel off the paper off the sticky pad and stick it in place. It doesn't come off when the oven is hot. Just make sure, if you have a self cleaning oven, stick it more to the side, where it doesn't interfere with the closing lever.

Even if they only work for about 2.5 years, like another reviewer stated, hey, that's not bad for $4.

Since my son learned to open the dishwasher, I thought I'd try one of these on there too. It works perfectly. (If I could only put one of these on my garbage too) :o)

Now, he's trying to figure out how the lock works so he can open the dishwasher door. Luckily this lock is sturdy, so it's difficult for him to slide it to the side.

All in all an awesome product. I wish I had more places to use it.
on December 20, 2010
I know we need oven locks for our 9 month old twins. I bought this knowing that Safety First is a good brand name. How could they put their name to such a piece of junk. It felt heavy enough in the packaging and sure enough, it is made of steel. The locking mechanism is OK. An adult can give it a good yank and it pops but for a child, unless they are hanging on the oven door, should be fine. However, a two sides piece of adhesive to connect it to the oven? REALLY??? This is like taking a Command strip and hanging your child from it and expecting it to hold on the wall. I could not believe my eyes when I saw it. My first thought was "The strip must hold it in place while you drill the holes and the screw into the stove. Then I read the instructions. No, this piece of tape is suppose to hold the entire oven door in place. So, I took them at their word. I installed it exactly as the instructions stated. The adhesive barley held the lock on. One pull with VERY little force and the entire lock poped right off the oven. So, I drilled two holes in the oven lock, then took a couple of metal screws and fastened it to the stove PROPERLY. Now, it works perfect.
I am pretty handy around the house and was able to figure this out. However, someone who is expecting this device to hold their oven door closed AS IS had better wake up.
44 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2012
I purchased this item to keep our little guy from hurting himself. I followed the directions and put the lock in place, but I installed it too close toe the over so it would not lock. I had to peel it off, it was very easy to remove. When I went to re-position the lock there was not enough stick left to the sticker. Here's the novel thing I did to make it stick...I used super glue. Yeah when I go to remove the lock, little pieces of the sticker will be left behind, but this is cured with a razor blade (this won't hurt the metal of the oven). The super glue was the trick. It's stuck and no matter how much the little guy pulls, it remains in place.

To install without having to re-position: With the sticker cover still on, do a dry fit to get the depth correct. Mark the edge of the oven on the sticker cover. Take a knife and cut along the line. Peel the sticker cover off for the portion that will be stuck to the oven.

The only downside to the lock is that when it is in the locked position, the lock is a little less than 90 degrees which is the reason I needed to re-position and it the reason I gave the installation tip.

Don't let the reviews that it does not stick keep you from making a purchase...just pick up some super glue and you will be happy.
on April 10, 2013
For all you dummies out there, just spend a little time cleaning the area and wait for the time for the sticky tape to dry, its been on and it works great!
on March 25, 2013
This oven lock is wonderful and I wish I had bought it sooner! My little one liked to occasionally hang on the oven door. I never saw him do it when the oven was on, and of course I'm trying to teach him that the stove/oven is dangerous. But a little added security at such a low cost makes the oven a bit safer. The lock was very simple to install. Simply mount the adhesive to the underside of the oven door opening. Before you stick it on, make sure that the spacing appropriate for your oven door. That means, make sure it doesn't obstruct any locking mechanisms your oven may have for self-cleaning mode. Also, my door slightly protrudes where I mounted the lock (ie, door does not sit flush with the lip of the stovetop. So, I had to mount the lock slightly outward, so that the lock would close right. (See pics, it'll make more sense!) The lock functions very easily. Slide the gray part to the right and flip the lock up to open the oven door (like a hinge). Slide the the lock downward and it slides into the locked position. We've had this for a couple weeks and so far it works wonderfully.
review image review image
on April 21, 2013
works like a charm! I've had this on my oven for a year now and it hasn't lost it's stickiness, even with all the heat. Just make sure you clean the area with rubbing alcohol very thoroughly before sticking it on.
on February 16, 2011
This product worked fine until we used the oven. The first time we used the oven, the adhesive got hot, slipped and made it useless. I would not recommend it to anyone.
on December 1, 2011
I owned two of these oven locks (one at my old house, one after I moved). I LOVE them. At first try, I didn't think it was going to fit. But, I installed it anyway. I'm glad I did. Even though the oven handle is too close to the oven to make this work like the picture (if you have this lock, you know what I mean), it really isn't a problem. I just slide the lock open, and pull the oven handle forward. As the oven door pulls forward, this gives enough clearance for the top of the lock (that flips out) to actually flip out. I know this confusing, but I just wanted to let everybody know that there IS a way to make this work for most ovens. It is not diffucult to operate (even my in-laws, who abhore child-safety items because they are too much of a hastle) don't complain about this item.

Never had an adhesion problems, even though I used this lock with the when self-cleaning the ovens(the instructions state that the lock can't be used while self-cleaning, but I can't figure out how one would avoid that). The lock looks good (as good as any babyproofing item can), and allows me to have my small children in the kitchen with me. Now, if I could just teach my one-year-old not to run for the hot oven whenever he sees me open the oven door, I'd be set.

Had to remove the old lock when I moved (new buyers didn't have kids and didn't want it). After three years, the adhesive was still VERY strong, but I did eventually get that thing off. It did not leave any marks.