Most helpful critical review
20 of 25 people found the following review helpful
I tried to like it - I praise Amazon for their customer service!!!
on February 28, 2013
I purchased this car seat for our 2 year old son (27 lbs) on February 4, 2013 for our "commuter" car. We recently started him in "parents day out" 2 days a week and my husband takes him on his way to work.
We gave this car seat a chance, we did! And, I am not a super picky person that writes tons of reviews and complains about everything (fabric, color, plushness, etc.) like many of the reviews I see. Just this year I have ordered over 30 items from Amazon and this is the only item I am writing a review on as well as the only item I have EVER returned to Amazon. Praise them for their wonderful customer service and complete and full refund so I can order a truly safe car seat I feel comfortable using.
Why I ordered this car seat in the first place:
1. The price (it was listed at the time for $99 and I had a coupon that got me free shipping and a total price of $86) Great price!
2. It is a cute car seat, comfortable fabric, liked arm rests, cup holder, and how it could grow with our child.
3. The crotch strap was reviewed well. Other reviews stated the crotch strap was long enough to not pinch or be uncomfortable. This was true. I moved the strap, which was easy and over all adjusting the car seat to fit our son was simple and I had no problem adjusting it.
4. It seemed like a perfectly fine commuter car seat and I wasn't in love with it when it arrived but thought it would work great and we planned on keeping it.
Why I called Amazon today (Feb 28, 2013) and returned it?
1. Failure to secure the car seat tight enough in the car to where it wouldn't move if I wiggled it or pushed on the base.
I am 8 1/2 months pregnant and our commuter car is a Volkswagen Jetta. I literally sat in the car seat (latch system was used) and rocked left and right while pulling the latch "tightening strap" to get that seat at tight and secure as possible. This is how I put in our Britax Boulevard 70 as well as how I put the base in for our Chicco Keyfit 30 and both are so tight and secure that they cannot budge when wiggled or pushed on with force. Think about a car crashing into the side of ours... if my hand can move the base or seat a car crash could cause some serious movement and or bodily harm even if the child is secure in the seat.
2. The 5-point harness straps are very very difficult to tighten so the child is comfortable and securely fastened in the car seat. Our Britax easily tightens when the pull strap between the feet is pulled to tighten the shoulder and chest straps. It isn't the shoulder straps exactly it seems to be the mechanics of devices the straps runs though from the back to where the tighten strap is at... My husband has to tug on it 4-5 times very forcefully while readjusting the chest clip and shoulder straps between each pull to get it safely tight.
If it take us this much time to make sure he is tight and secure in his seat the reality is that our son's grandparents who may take him to school when our new baby arrives may not spend this much time simply because of lack of knowledge or experience. If the Britax pulls perfectly tight in one pull they may assume this one does too.
I urge you to really consider spending more for your child's safety and if you have purchased this seat it is worth the hassle-free return! It was so simple and I am so so so thankful that this is not the car seat we will continue to use for years!
Please message me or leave questions for any thoughts or comments. I would be more than happy to talk to another parent considering this car seat.
Non-important car seat comments:
1. headrest does stick out a bit but it didn't seem to bother our son. However, I could see some "head-slumping" if a child falls alseep.
2. Cup-holder is so fun and cute but it is very low (sits on the vehicle's seat practically) our son couldn't reach it and didn't know it existed. He turned 2 December 2012 and isn't a giant kid so maybe bigger kids can easily reach/use it.
3. The seat is very adjustable and that is wonderful. You can really craft it to fit your child but again it doesn't tighten well so no matter how well you adjust it unless willing to spend 2-5 minutes putting them in than your adjustment work is all for not.
4. I liked how big the seat was, it seems like it can grow with our child. I'm hoping to find a similar seat but it will be higher quality/price.
5. I liked it has latch system and 5 point harness that was important to me.
6. The seat can adjust to lean back which was great (in my head that would possibly solve the head hanging problem when sleeping)
best of luck finding a good car seat but don't buy this one...seriously!