5.0 out of 5 stars The Sucker
I've been suckered and wowed into a few design monographs, some of which were refreshing, some way to analytical and some just too abstract for any earthling to grab meaning from it.
Published on June 1, 2001 by Calvin Florian

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm...
i read david cho's scribblings with much more ease than this book.

i still have ways to go, but seriously, i have a difficult time forcing myself to read into what he is thinking.

i Feel like im squinting all the time when im reading this... and im friggin ASIAN!
Published on September 13, 2010 by peter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sucker, June 1, 2001
Calvin Florian (Atlanta, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
Although no book/theories/processes can save anyone's design soul, seeing/understanding Stefan's work has helped me understand that all elements humor/angst/beauty/finesse/distress/ugliness/cynicism can be mashed into this design work we do and can be done without all of this pontification.
This isn't any sort of epiphany, it's just a reaction to all the pretty, high-style fashion driven stuff with no heart/no sense of self that has been floating around for some time.
From most of what I've read, humorous yet always self aware, I feel the connection of rock-n-roll/punk ethics expressed more than just see it. I think this example of pure self expression gives reason for anyone to continue to do this type of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I never review books BUT..., August 24, 2001
Susan Weber (LA, California USA) - See all my reviews
I actually READ this one! You know, not just look at the pictures. What a courageous, talented, outragous guy. His handwritten notes throughout the book were so incredibly easy to relate to, especially if you've worked in this business long enough to know what a "mechanical" is. I have admired this designer via other design annuals for years and I am thrilled he finally shared some of his design journal and work with us- all in his own words. Thank you, Stefan, for having the "balls"!

5.0 out of 5 stars The favorite in my graphic design book library, November 18, 2002
Susan E. Hoffman (Mountain Top, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Stefan Sagmeister pushes the edges way beyond recognition. He ventures places I would (or could) never dare, but this work inspires me to be a little more daring, a little edgier, to design a bit more controversially to get attention and evoke reaction. He has incredible vision and imagination, and is bold enough to carry off some very challenging and creative pieces. The line between graphic design and true art is blurred - wait, absent - in much of his work. I've read the book cover to cover a couple of times, but it's always a pleasure just to leaf through and discover something new and delightful. This is the one book I would not want to do without, if only because he inspires me to try more, do more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy! yummy!, April 21, 2001
What a dilicious book. I savored every bite and thought about its unique flavor for days afterwards. If you buy only one book on graphic design in your life, thats the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible gift to the designers Community., June 24, 2001
A designers journal that, between the old europe, Hong Kong, Vienna and New York, describes, with a revolutionary and persuasive attitude, the daily thinking and the extreme necessity to survive and be successfull as an innovative designer. In it, the most provocative and enjoyable work of the last 20 years. Again an incredible gift to the designers Community.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, as the man himself!, August 14, 2001
Vas Sloutchevsky (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
When I read it (it's something you rarely say about a design book) I felt like I'm thinking as one with Stefan. This book is so packed with brilliant design, tricks and humor that every page becomes memorable. It's going to be hard to top this, even for a seasoned designer who decides to write another design monograph.
What a joy, Stephan!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a masterpiece, April 14, 2013
I. Perez (Ventura County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sagmeister: Made You Look (Paperback)
Sagmeister is mentioned in every graphic art textbook I have ever read, and there is a reason for this: His endeavors see no boundaries and he continues to learn from his accomplishments, as well as from his mistakes. His work is incredibly honest. He lays his soul bare. And his branding ideas make a lot of money, so his workflow is not just theoretical, it is applicable in the real world.

5.0 out of 5 stars so enjoyable!, May 10, 2001
with honesty, wit and personal style... this book inspires you through his passion and dedication towards design. Of the unfinished business on his "Things to do before I die" list, one is to "touch someone's heart with graphic design"- I think he can cross it off now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olfactory Effects., September 23, 2010
This review is from: Sagmeister: Made You Look (Paperback)
All I can say is...wow! This book hits all senses like a Mac truck, intentionally and unintentionally by Sagmeister. I love that this book is a design piece in itself...but wait...I'm taking off the red sheath/condom, paging through --- WTH! I'm tripping out in an auto showroom filled with new car tire aroma downwind from a super glue factory!

Every page turn is a whaft of the God knows what alchemy that made the red cover and/or the metallic page trim. So I've got the book airing out, pages fanned open, then I can sit down and indulge in this work. I know from a brief glance through it it's fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly innovative thinking, April 11, 2008
Sagmeister is a true artist and thought-provoking designer. His ideas are fresh, unexpected and sometimes shocking. He's an industry hero and this book is filled with so many wonderful examples of his work. His solutions will inspire designers and make non-designers do a double-take.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sagmeister: Made You Look
Sagmeister: Made You Look by Peter Hall (Paperback - July 1, 2009)
$40.00 $28.89