5.0 out of 5 stars I read them all on this subject, and this one IS the BEST!
Published on July 10, 2010 by Jennifer G. Sullivan

2.0 out of 5 stars too complicated
Published on October 31, 2011 by H. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars I read them all on this subject, and this one IS the BEST!, July 10, 2010
This review is from: I Said No! A Kid-to-kid Guide to Keeping Private Parts Private (Perfect Paperback)
I feel CONFIDENT that my daughter will recognize a dangerous situation because of this book! My daughter is starting Kindergarten, so I figured it was time to start teaching her about the "dangers of the world", but in a kid-friendly and easy-to-understand way. Since there are several books on this subject, I read 4 of them - this one, Your Body Belongs to You, Those Are MY Private Parts, and Amazing You! I Said No! is the clear winner, in my opinion.

It was the first one I read, and none of the other 3 lived up to it. At first I thought it might be a little scary, and maybe too long. But I read it to my daughter in one sitting and she LOVED it. It wasn't scary at all! And she looks at it and wants me to read it again.

What I like about the book is this - it gives CLEAR examples (though not graphic) for the child including examples of bribes, threats, etc. that someone might use against them and how to recognize them. The other books seemed vague in this sense. It repeats examples of things that might happen and says "red flag!" Tells the child what to say and how to say it "NO! No way!" - Be loud and clear! DO: Get the heck out of there! Tell your mom or dad something happened that was very bad!"

The examples are wonderful because it covers so many situations. For example it says: WHAT IFS If your friend, brother, sister, cousin, uncle, aunt, grandparent, teacher, coach, stranger or anybody else...Asks you if they can see your privates or touch your privates...They might say "if you keep a secret I will buy you things!" They might say "If you keep this secret I will be your best friend" - What should you think? What should you say? What should you do? THINK: DANGER, RED FLAG! SAY: "No! No way!" Be loud and clear! DO: Get the heck out of there! Tell your mom or your dad something happened that was very bad." It talks about going to someone you trust, goes through a list of people, and if there is nobody to tell call 911, etc. It literally covers almost every situation you can think of. It tells the child it is not their fault, to tell someone they trust even if they feel funny about it. This book is 32 pages but was not too long for one sitting.

I found "Your Body Belongs to You" to be too short, and along with "Those are MY Private Parts" very vague and maybe for a younger child ages 2-3. "Amazing You" only had 1 page relating to keeping your parts private. The rest was very cute with cute drawings, but showed drawings of body parts, and talked about how babies are made and how babies are born, so not really what I was looking for. (It also skipped the part about HOW an egg is fertilized, so I will probably not buy this book when it is time for "the talk"!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST I've Read Yet!, August 15, 2010
I purchased 3 books on this subject that were highly recommended by the people that purchased them. Although all the books were great, this book stood out far from the rest. I have 4 kids that range from age 7 to 14. I was reading this book for the first time to my 2 youngest (7 & 10) when the 2 older kids (12 & 14) came into the room as I continued to read. The 2 older kids were actively participating in discussing the contents of the book just as much as the younger ones. We ended up reading it through a second time with all the kids & discussing what they learned. What I'm trying to say is even though at first this book seemed like it was going to pertain to much younger children, it actually didn't. The author made it understandable for the younger ones, but also covered situations the older ones had never thought of. The author also left several areas "open for parental discussion" at the end of sections where parents can elaborate more if they feel they needed to. For ex: some families use the words "private parts", "bathing suit area" or "boy parts & girl parts" instead of the proper names. Instead of explaining these proper names, the author writes something like "..your private parts are the areas of your body that are covered by your bathing suit. These "private areas" have names that you can discuss with your parent. You may want to discuss this right now.." So the author covers all the bases for those parents who would rather use their own "pet names" for genitals without offending anybody (as ALWAYS, there will be people offended by using "penis and vagina" with their children, as well as the reverse using "pee-pee" instead of the correct names for genitals). This was very SMART on the author's part. She left these areas open for further discussion if it was a more sensitive topic. She also explained about "red flags" in how people act and what they say, and how to spot a "red flag". She also explained the importance of TELLING no matter what. One of the most important topics she discussed (that many books overlook or don't emphasize ENOUGH) is that the people that can do these things can be someone you love a lot like a close relative, neighbor, friend, friend's parent or relative, etc. Someone doesn't have to look or be mean or be a STRANGER. As a matter of fact, I don't think the word Stranger was used, which is also SMART because that paints a bad picture to children that only bad-looking people or people they don't know will do these things. I know this is probably wordy & overwritten, but I've read LOTS of books and this is the ONLY ONE that had everything all laid out the way it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Genuine Godsend!, September 8, 2010
"Teach your children well; give them a code that you can live by." -- David Crosby, 1969

How I wish this delightful book existed when I was child!

This is an IDEAL teaching tool of empowerment for younger children (preschoolers) about learning to recognize danger. It is kid-friendly without being condescending, serious without being frightening. This 32-page masterpiece is one of the lead horses in the child sexual abuse prevention race.

For many years, children were warned about the cliche stranger, but the issue of predators children knew was rarely if ever addressed. When I was a child, I honestly thought a double standard existed - improper touching was only frowned upon by one's caretakers if done by strangers. During those years, I wondered why nobody ever said if children had any recourse if they were confronted with "bad touches" by people they knew.

This book COMPLETELY dispels the myth of the stranger bearing candy, lurking on playgrounds and near schools if indeed he ever even existed. Statistics have shown time and again that "bad touches" are very rarely done by strangers! It is timeless; the message of assertiveness and respect for boundaries and the human body at large can never be over emphasized.

This book provides a checklist in the form of very clearly written examples of danger signals, e.g. bribes, gifts, threats that a predator or potential predator might use. Each time an example is given, the words "RED FLAG!" are used. The child in the example is supplied with good verbiage and to shout, "NO! NO WAY!" quite loudly so as to be heard. The crucial message of telling a parent or some other trusted adult is stressed along with the equally crucial message that abuse is not always carried out by strangers. In fact, abusers are very seldom strangers.

What sets this gem apart is that it asks "what if" questions and some of the questions include relatives, e.g. "what if your [fill in the blank] asks to see you naked and touch your private parts and offers to buy you a gift if you keep that secret?" THINK: DANGER, SCREAM RED FLAG! SAY: "No! No way!" Be loud and clear! DO: Get the heck out of there! Tell your mom or your dad something happened that was very bad." That is the refrain in this book.

Just about any possible scenario is given in this book. The child is reassured that what predators do or try to do is never the child's fault and it is important that the child go to a trusted adult IMMEDIATELY. Calling 911 as an option is also given. This book is ideal for children 2 on up. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is something that I think all families and educators of young children will find extremely beneficial.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for 5 and older., November 9, 2010
Great information and a lot of different scenerios to go over with your child. I like the way the book goes over a section and then poses a question for the reader to discuss with their child. It is too much information and confusing for under 5. I read parts of the book only to my 4 year old because it is a lot of information and the attention span isn't there yet. Great book overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend "I Said No!", March 4, 2009
As a mom of three young boys it has been a great fear of mine that any of my boys should ever be in a situation where their private parts are touched inappropriately. My husband and I have always discussed openly with each of them what behavior is appropriate and what to do if they are ever in a dangerous situation, but were uncertain whether or not we really covered every situation necessary. This book has been a tremendous guide in helping us to approach the topic with our boys fully and on a level that they can understand and are comfortable discussing. We shared the book with all three boys and then our two oldest boys read it individually once again. They said it was great and that they are very happy Zack was willing to share his story to help other boys and girls to know when to say NO!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sex abuse prevention book for children, July 3, 2010
"I said No!" is an excellent book. I also bought The Right Touch: A Read-Aloud Story to Help Prevent Child Sexual Abuse (Jody Bergsma Collection) ; but "I Said No!" is much better, because it gets right down to the point. Kimberly King clearly illustrates the many scenarios sex predators may use to overcome children's natural defenses, including threats and bribes. She tells children when to call for help, who to tell, what to do if not believed. In areas that may need more discussion, she allows a natural pause in the book, by suggesting the children may want to stop and discuss a certain issue. This reminds me to stop and review things in more detail before proceeding and gives my children permission to begin asking questions.

The illustrations and cover are eye catching for children. My daughter wanted me to read it to her the minute she saw the book on the counter. The writing style is kid friendly, using terms young children can understand. My children are 6 and 9. I would recommend this book for preschool through elementary school age children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Starter to An Important Subject, December 12, 2011
As a child of molestation by a family member, this is something I am very passionate about. I never want any other child to suffer like I did. The shame, confusion and guilt I felt as a child and now anger I feel as an adult toward this, is something I pray my children never ever feel.

My children are 6 and 8 years old and while we always said things like, "your privates are private" and "no one should see or touch your privates" we never went further and I trust no one so they are never alone with anyone but I knew that as they get more involved with school and extra curricular activities this should be discussed. Over the summer when we had some peers out, there was a child who asked my son to "sign" his butt. My kids thought it was funny. I did not! It made me feel nauseous and worried. It was then that we upped the conversations a little pulling in my son's den leader to give a lecture to the boys about inappropriate touching.

I Said, No by Zack and Kimberly King helped me talk more about this with my children in a non scary way. The book discusses the a green and red flag system. Green flags are your caregivers like your parents and and doctors who sometimes will see your privates. "Your doctor will examine your privates only if mom or dad are in the room, to make sure all parts of your body are healthy. When you are younger, your parents or caregivers will clean your bottom and bath you because you are too young to do this yourself. These are green flag people.

Your red flag people are the ones who make you feel:
upset
uncomfortable
lonely
sad
yucky
etc.

The book than goes on to explain various ways you would want to throw up a red flag.

bribing
touching
threatening
etc.

This is a great system and a great way to begin the process of explaining to young children one of the dangers they may encounter in their lives. Sexual predators aren't always mean, old, ugly, strangers. Sometimes they are nice, neighborly, friendly or even family.

I highly recommend this book for any one with children.

Depending on your child, their age and comprehension this is a great start. Was able to ask open ended questions to my children and give them information that we will go over again and again. My 6 year old was a little bored with some of the repetitiveness but I believe this to be a great starting place for parents to broach the subject of sexual predators without being too scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help to reinforce a tough topic, July 25, 2011
A great book. I bought to reinforce the 'no' and the 'off limits' messages that we've been trying to teach our girls as they've been age appropriate...(now 7 1/2 and 4 1/2) and our son when he gets to the right age. One thing that concerned me that made us want to use a book like this was that we're also working to teach our kids to be polite, and sometimes the messages can be conflicting to them. We tell them that they should not argue with adults, but yet, could an unscrupulous person use that 'against them' and to his/her own advantage? The book was straightforward, but in a language and message age appropriate. I liked the discussion topics, but my 7 1/2 year old was bored with them after one or two. We broke the book up into several readings, so as not to overwhelm. Overall the kids response was good. They were even able to identify "red flag" events...even though our 4 1/2 year old now has started yelling "red flag" whenever we do something she doesn't like (i.e. making her eat vegetables!). So she and I have had conversations about what are REAL red flags, and I think she gets it. We talked about lots of "what if" examples...and the 7 1/2 year old gets them right, the 4 1/2 year old is about 50/50, so we have more work to do with her. The biggest thing they were both impressed with was how well the author handled himself, and how clever he was to hide in the bathroom. I also added to my kids that they could go to the house phone where they were and call mom anytime and I would come get them if it was a situation they didn't like - and if they felt they couldn't get safe, we practiced 911 again and again. (not on the real phone). Found the book relevant and helpful. Would not have thought of a peer-abuse situation...have focused so much on adult to child, so that was good for me to think about too. Helpful story, thank you for sharing.

2.0 out of 5 stars too complicated, October 31, 2011
I bought this because one reviewer of another book on Amazon said this was the best of the three she read. However, I found it way too long, complicated and repetitious. In the Afterword (which should've been the Prologue) you learn it was really written by a boy and his mom and the scenarios were real and writing this helped him get healing. I'm glad for that but it doesn't have the best advice in my opinion (staying in the bathroom might've helped him but not letting your 5 year old go to sleepovers and when they do equipping them with a cell phone and/or your phone number is better I think). At the beginning it says it's okay if your parents touch you for wiping and stuff and only at the end does it say well, if you think a parent is a red flag person then tell a trusted adult. Am seriously thinking of writing my own (not for publication) to read to my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, December 21, 2010
I purchased this book to open up discussion with my children about this topic. I was happy that the book gave good info, without getting into too graphic of details. I was very comfortable reading this book and sharing this information with my children. I highly recommend this to all parents and teachers. A great way to help prevent children from being sexually abused!

I Said No! A Kid-to-kid Guide to Keeping Private Parts Private
I Said No! A Kid-to-kid Guide to Keeping Private Parts Private by Kimberly King (Perfect Paperback - September 20, 2008)
$9.95