5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - worth twice the price
Published on August 26, 2002 by Arno E Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book but….
Needs revised because so much has changed. Yet I do recommend it because it is profound in simplicity which is hard to find in this field. I just wish it had more current data. Like LEDs but much more. BTW, if I gave it 5 stars would you have read this? It's a five star if you're a novas'.
Published 11 months ago by Over the hill

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - worth twice the price, August 26, 2002
Arno E Jones (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I've been wiring cars and motorcycles for 30 years. I also work with microcontrollers and supporting circuity and electronics in general. Somebody suggested that I get into boat electrics and maybe I could help support my cruising kitty (when the time comes) by working on other peoples sailboats. It seemed like a good idea, so I set out learning what I could and to gain some experience. The first thing I did was to buy every book I could lay my hands on on boat wiring and read them from cover to cover. Now that I've wired and repaired a few sailboats I realized that out of all the books I have, only two were refered to continuously while the rest have collected dust. This book is one of them.
First of all, it is a very easy book to read. There is not a wasted word in the whole book. All concepts are concise and easily understood. When you need a diagram to grok a concept, it is there. You can sit down and read this book like a novel it's written so well.
Second, it leaves no assumptions. Sure, I'd like to think I know all things electrical, but I don't. Sailboat electrics is as different from automotive electrics as cake is from pie. I learned about the difference between marine and automotive batteries. I learned about corrosion and zincs. I picked up the concept of sailboat characteristics in a lightning strike. These are the categories that are not covered in automotive books or even in general Electrical Engineering courses.
I think this book should be every boaters first choice in sailboat electrics. I recommend it to everyone who has an interest. If you feel you need even more detail, or equipment-specific knowledge, you can always pick up (my 2nd must-have book choice): Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems.
Between the two, you will have on hand a reference to everything you will need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, July 3, 2000
Gerald Siu (Santa Monica, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
An outstanding book. I myself knew absolutely nothing about electricity when I first bought this book - although obviously it didn't make me an expert, it nonetheless taught me what I needed to know to start modifying my boat's electrical systems. I admit that I am biased - Don Casey is one of my favorite sailing authors - but if you are a novice and need to upgrade your boat's electrics, this is the book to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars elegant, June 28, 2000
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I have a twenty-five boat with modest electrical needs. This book gave me all the foundational material I needed to start and finish my project but more importantly presented the material in a very readable even entertaining fasion while remaining efficient. Great diagrams, great book, great sailing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailboat Electrics Simplified, February 19, 2008
Execlent Manual
Note: Don't buy if you already have "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual" as you will find this manual inside the "big" one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Outstanding, January 25, 2005
L. West (Orlando, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I started with almost zero knowledge and some fear of all things electrical and a marine starting battery that would discharge overnight. I'd had the battery tested and found good leaving the problem somewhere in the boat's wiring. I got everything I needed to have to fix this problem from this book.

Casey's book had the foundation knowledge I needed to understand the troubleshooting steps and a specific troubleshooting process that enabled me to find and fix the source of the problem. That alone was a huge benefit and probably saved me a couple of hundred dollars.

More importantly, reading the book to solve my specific problem gave me the foundation to approach any electrical problem on the boat. I'm generally pretty handy and now can view electrical troubleshooting as just another thing that I have the confidence to do.

Very, very well written. Good mix between simplicity and specificity. I highly recommend this book and a good multimeter.

4.0 out of 5 stars An execelent guide for understanding of eletrics on a sailboat., October 10, 2005
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
This is a good example of a book that was carefully written to be understood by a large spectrum of amateur sailors.

I found particularly useful the chapter about the choice of types of batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is Contained in "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat...", February 17, 2010
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
The book is aptly named as it does make sailboat electrics simplified. However, this contents of this book are identical to the electronics chapters in the book "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual". If you are only interested in electrical systems, this is the right book for you. If you are looking for a more complete sailboat maintenance book go with this book,Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Casey's Sailboat Electrics Simplified, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
Don's approach provides the novice with a very good understanding of concepts, layout and design, installation practices, trouble shooting, etc. A great first place to go for the aspiring DIY'er!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a basic book, and profoundly well written!!, July 30, 2007
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I was trained as a microwave electronics technician in the Air Force, and have studied Ham radio theory for years, so I didn't go into the wiring of my Newport 27, or my investigations of installing an HF ham transceiver cold, but Mr. Casey has written a book that, as others have said here, is so easy to read, and covers so much ground at the same time, that it's a truly profound work that added greatly to my technical and theoretical abilities and understanding. You don't truly understand the depth he touches on, or the wisdom in which he unifies and relates various theories, unless you come from some technical discipline. Only then do you recognize his insight as way more than a basic book for beginners. Don't let the personable, "easy read" fool you, this guy's good. I think it was Einstein who said something like "you don't really understand your field unless you can explain the most complex of it's theories to a child." Well Mr. Casey exemplifies that concept.

As another reviewer here has said, it would be nice to see an updated edition covering the latest technologies like conversion of lighting over to LED, Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries (AGM), etc., and Mr. Casey, I'm ready to buy it if you're ready to write it.

But don't wait for a new edition, buy this book, without a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction, June 3, 2009
This review is from: Sailboat Electrics Simplified (Hardcover)
I had next to zero knowledge about electricity. This book completely changed that. It showed me the importance of mapping out electrical requirements, how amps are affected by wire lengths and how to determine wire sized needed for jobs. All of these were completely foreign to me before reading this book. You'll be surprised at the brevity of the descriptions of things and how they all inter-relate. I now feel comfortable tackling the wiring of my 28' foot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sailboat Electrics Simplified
Sailboat Electrics Simplified by Don Casey (Hardcover - April 21, 1999)
$21.95 $13.40