Attention landlubbers: If you don't know your port from your starboard, tacking from jibing, then you need to experience clear sailing with the Dummies. With the usual cargo of good humor and demystifying tone, this mast in the Dummies armada lifts the fog on confusing nautical language, teaches the basics about maneuvering a sailboat from dock to open ocean, floats important safety information, and offers advice and info on a variety of related issues (knots, racing, sailboards, how to buy a sailboat). Whether you want to learn to sail or just talk like a sailor, Sailing for Dummies
is your anchor to life on the water.
From the Back Cover
"None of us wants to encounter Dummies at sea. Now along come the Islers
. Their book provides an interesting read, easy instruction, and a handy reference work." Walter Cronkite, CBS Special Correspondent "Peter and JJ's enthusiasm for the thrill and fun of sailing brings the comprehensive guide to life in every chapter. Whether you're a novice or several years into this fascinating sport, the Islers' knowledge and insight will speed you along your course to sailing mastery." John Bumham, Editor, Sailing World Magazine "Its authors are universally respected in sailing, both for their competitive records and their ability to explain its mysteries to land lovers." Robert Hopkins, Jr., Former U.S. Olympic Coach and America's Cup Navigator
Filled with Diagrams and Illustrations to Help You Get Sailing!
Are you interested in sailing, but think it's too expensive? Have you dreamed of sailing away, but aren't sure about the regulations, etiquette, and proper gear to wear? If you think sailing is only for the rich and famous think again! Sailing For Dummies® gives you practical, easy-to-follow advice for everything from buying the right equipment and gear to setting sail for the first time to watching races on TV!
Inside, you'll discover how to:
- Select the best boat to buy or rent for your sailing needs
- Navigate like a pro day or night with the help of charts, satellites, and compasses
- Handle mishaps such as torn sails and leaks
- Administer basic first aid and handle an overboard rescue successfully
- Recover from a capsize, tow a boat, and discover other ways to keep safety a priority
- Understand U.S. federal boating regulations and other rules of the sea
- Find a sailing school that fits your schedule and your budget
- Make sailing fun for the entire family from toddlers to teens
- Locate the best cruising destinations around the world