Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 28, 2008
This is a great book; well-written and informative, and I recommend it highly.

Here is my "how I learned to sail" story:

I accidentally ended up in possession of an O'Day Sprite (10 foot dinghy), but knew nothing about sailing. I put it at my buddy's house; he had a place on a lake, and he promised to teach me how to sail. One day, he walked in, tossed me a bag of parts, and said "Go rig your boat!" He came down with me and taught me equipment terminology, and showed me how to rig the mast. We ended up replacing the mast stays, but everything else was okay.

We got it rigged and got the sails on. He looked at the sails, then looked at the boat; then he said, "That's an awful lot of sail for that boat." He took it out for a quick spin to make sure everything was working, then he put me in the boat and had me try to sail it, while he shadowed me in the Whaler, shouting instructions. The one thing I learned that day was that accidental jibes can cause death rolls (I didn't actually "learn" it until later, but that's what happened). We ended up towing the Sprite back in with the Whaler, and that ended my first lesson.

I went out and bought "Sailing for Dummies", spent a week reading and re-reading it from cover to cover, went back to the lake, and successfully sailed the boat for hours. I never did capsize it again, although I've had it darn near horizontal in a strong breeze. My friend likes to tell people he taught me how to sail; I always correct him and say he taught me how to capsize, which was just as valuable a lesson.

I spent several summers sailing both the Sprite and and my buddy's Hunter 170, then "graduated" to keelboats. He kept telling me that that the Sprite was the hardest boat I'd ever sail; bigger boats are easier.

I got a combination membership/keelboat class at a local sailing club in Boston, learning how to dodge the freighters coming in and out of the harbor, navigation, mooring, anchoring, etc; all the stuff that has less to do with the act of sailing, but necessary for sailing out in the real world. From time to time, I'd go back to "Sailing for Dummies" to brush up on items I hadn't needed prior to that point. I ended up taking additional classes and got a number of certifications.

These days, I'm back to lake sailing. My buddy ended up giving that Hunter 170 to my (then new) wife and I as a wedding present. I've been teaching her and my kids how to sail on the smaller lakes in southern NH. I fabricated a transom for the boat in order to sail it on Lake Massebesic, which is much closer to home than Beaver Lake or Onway. Most weekends during the summer, you can find me out on the lake, goofing around, teaching family and friends to sail, or unofficially racing with the MYC fleet.

[...]
on December 8, 2009
I bought this for my non-sailing wife after I unsuccessfully tried to explain the effects of wind on the sails. She found it to be vastly better than my explanations. She also told me some things I didn't know, that she learned from the book.
on February 6, 2007
Anyone who has read a Dummies book has a good idea of what to expect. This book is not much different. All the basics are there, from setting the sails to dropping the hook safely. The Islers do a nice job of trading off personal experiences. These make the book a little more interesting and gives the reader a chance to get in touch with the writers.

The instructions for sailing seem fairly complete yet the writting style is such that the reader does not fall asleep. The book moves along and does not drag. Much information is included on where to go or where to look for more specialized information.

I would have rated this book 5 instead of 4 except for just one reason. The copywrite is 1997. For the most part this is not a problem; sailing is sailing. Ocassionally though a reference is made to a race or other upcoming event that is already history.

Good read.
on March 23, 2012
Purchased this as a novice in sailing thinking this would introduce me to sailing and also be a referral source. Mistake in not purchasing hard copy but Kindle version. Not a bad book as an introduction and would be a good resource but not easy to access specific pages on Kindle
on September 17, 2008
Good simple book for new sailors or helpers (3rd mates)
Got it for a friend to help me, but not to take over command.
I have even been corrected for using the word Rope instead of Line
If you learn everything in this book, you will be a very knowledgeable sailor
on January 13, 2011
I regularly purchase books by the Dummies Series on new topics when I need to have someone "dumb it down" for me. This book is no exception to meeting that gap in the information available on line or other sources for the newbie sailor. If you are a newbie, (like me) I HIGHLY recommend that you read this book and get the who, what, where, when, how and why to decide if you want to go sailing or if your already sailing to fill in the gaps you feel silly asking someone in person. Covers a Lot of safety issues to consider and a lot of plain old fashioned common sense issues.
on September 23, 2014
This is a good book, but certainly for brand new sailors. If you've had any experience on the water I would recommend something else. This book has the basics (some of which I didn't know) and anyone that is interested in sailing should have this information, to be sure! If you are just starting out, I would highly recommend this book. This explains the basics of wind, equipment, provisioning....etc. If you read it before going on a trip you will certainly impress those who think you know nothing.
on May 4, 2009
I was told this serie "..... for dummies" was very good indeed.
So I bought the book. Well,it really is outstanding. So clear that everything seems easy and fun!
I have (some) experience sailing, and found this very useful every page and tip.
If you want to sail, or if you just started, even if you consider yourself a sailor, you'll find something interesting and useful.
on March 17, 2014
If you starting out sailing then this is a no brainer buy. This should be the first thing you buy for your boat. before you go and try and talk to sailors about buying a boat before you step foot on a boat you've bought read this book you'll sound like you at least have a clue on whats going on with your boat and why.

Gives very easy to read concise information on sailing and for those that have sailed for awhile it's still a good read and has some info that you might not have known why something was doing what it was just that it did well read the book and you'll know why. :)

Anyway best sailing book I've read to date
on November 20, 2014
Used to this to reacquaint myself after a break from sailing for sometime. It is well written and easy to understand which will keep you reading it. My wife also read it having 0 sailing experience and it definitely gave her a head start on learning.