5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't help but give it 5 stars...
The Sailor Moon R Movie is by far the best of the movies. It has an intriguing plot, something that American viewers don't get to see much in Sailor Moon, and great art as usual. The best part, however, is that it's translated word for word from the Japanese. Which means DiC didn't hack it apart and edit it for younger children.
Take note, this is definitely not...
Published on December 23, 1999 by joe shmo

2.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon in trouble.......
I watched the japanese version of this video before I watched this one, and thought that DIC did a very bad job with the voices. There were lines left out and when they translated it, there were some stupid lines that they put in that movie. The uncut japanese movie was way better! Should watch that one.
Published on March 15, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't help but give it 5 stars..., December 23, 1999
joe shmo (Milford, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Take note, this is definitely not for younger children. First of all, the main villain is gay. To quote Mercury: "It appears Mamoru is popular even with the boys." There's also cursing, but it's very minor. Mostly by Jupiter and the villain. The last thing is that there's some nudity. The villain yanks Sailor Moon's brooch, which detransforms her... however, ribbons still fly about to cover key areas, so don't worry.
You'll absolutely love this video. The somewhat more adult aspect of it makes it even more enjoyable. The laughs are endles... and not all are intentional. Many people find the scouts' chanting of their names during their transformations very amusing (Serrraaa Juptah!) and the cheesy British music during Moon Scepter Elimination is to die for!
Get this movie, or you'll regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rose by any other voice actress..., February 11, 2000
Zoyciteyouma (Birmingham, Al) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon R The Movie - The Promise of the Rose [VHS] (VHS Tape)
By now you've probably ascertained the Sailor Moon R movie is, by general consensus, the favorite of the three. But how does the dub hold up? Well, it's not Princess Mononoke, but it is a Silver Millenium ahead of the butchering done to the battle with Beryl. Yes, the dramatic tension is toned down, and yes, there are a few censoring edits, but they're minor. And quite understandable considering the age level the video is geared towards. (Pioneer certainly isn't about to tell three year olds that the best way to revive someone is to suffocate them until they wake up.) Children who love Sailor Moon will adore this dubbed version. As for the older crowd (and I presume we all already own the subtitled version) the dub grows on you quickly. I've always been willing to forgive poor Terri Hawkes's cheesy dialogue in favor of the sheer energy she gives to her character. Stephanie Morganstern in particular screams a very passionate "Don't!" as Venus rushes to her Moon Princess's defense. We mourn the loss of "Moon Revenge" but "The Power of Love" works surprisingly well in it's place. At first I thought Fiore's voice sounded too adolescent, but in retrospect it gave the character a snese of warmth that the Demando style aloofness of the sub never really achieved. My advice: buy the sub and give it all of your otaku honor. Then buy the dub, cringe through the less-than-inspired plant puns, throw your best MST commentary at the television, then calmly admit to yourself that down inside, you really do love these girls deeply and are already searching Amazon for the S Movie's dub.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've gotta get it., January 15, 2000
joe shmo (Milford, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
The Sailor Moon R Movie is easily the best of the three movies, and far better than anything in the series - at least in the American dub. The art work is of the highest quality and the humor is great (picture Usagi kissing a slug.) But this movie's greatest strength is it's intriguing plotline. The villain has motivation! *GASP*
There's only one drawback... it's not for little kids. It's in the original Japanese form, so it's not watered down. First of all, the villain is gay. To quote Ami, "It seems Mamoru is popular even with the boys." (Hehe.) Also, there's really minor nudity. The transformations show a little more of the body lines, plus the bad guy yanks Sailor Moon's Crystal, which makes her un-transform. Fortunately, streaming ribbons cover the important places. The last thing is that it's a tad more violent... as in there's blood. But none of these things should bother people over ten. Soooo... go out there and buy it! You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah..We Are On our Way!, November 21, 1999
"sailorchibiwater" (Spaced Out Universe) - See all my reviews
The Sailor Moon R Movie is finally going to be dubbed! I don't know about anyone else but i couldn't help myself so i got the subtitled version of this Movie on Amazon.com a month ago and Loved it! This movie contains Loe, hate, and pure happiness. It was the sweetest movie every created and probably one of the best in the three Sailor Moon Movies! So please what are you waiting for, no more annoying subtitles...get something you can understand for this GReat Movie! Also be sure to get the other two Sailor Moon movies when they come out in the dubbed version also! I have heard these are un-edited too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon R is the best SailorMoon Movie, January 4, 2000
MarDell Chronister (South Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Out of the three Sailor Moon movies (R, S, and SuperS) SailorMoon R is by far my favorite. The first time that I watched it I had spent around 3 hours downloading it from a site that I had found on the internet. I feel that the time spent was well worth it. When I got the chance to buy it on VHS I snapped it up and bought it as quickly as I could. The villian is one of the best that I have ever seen ((and he looks like Ali/Alan to boot)). I'm not sure that the dubbed version is gonna be as good because it'll be cut and you need to see some of the homosexual themes in the movie to really understand the feelings of jelousy that Fiore has towards Usagi and Usagi has towards Fiore. Of course Mamoru just has to be in the middle of it. Personally I think that Usagi could do a lot better but that's just my opinion. The battle with Fiore on the asteroid is awesome. And how at the end he gives up his life and energy to save Usagi because of his love for Mamoru. The soundtrack is one of the best that I have heard. Any die hard Sailor Moon fan needs to have this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST OUT OF 3, January 28, 2000
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
THIS MOVIE IS TOTALY KOOL! THE GRAPHICS R AMAZING THERE R HEART STOPING SCENES... THE NUDITY IS NO BIG DEAL, JUST A BIT MORE OF THE BODY LINES. THEY HAVE KINDA OF A NEW ATACK SEQUENCE AT THE MAIN BATLE W/ THE FLOWER MONSTERS(REALY KOOL^_^) THERE IS A LITTLE VIOLENCE BUT NOTHING THAT SHOULD BOTHER A KID OLDER THAN 10. MAMORU AND USAGI'S RELATIONSHIP GROWS STRONGER, AND THE BETWEEN THE SCOUTS TOO. THERE IS A FLASHBACK WERE LITTLE USAGI GIVES LITLE MAMORU A ROSE AND SHE LOOKS SOOO CUTE.IF YOU R A FRIEND OF ANIME((((SAILOR MOON SPECIFICLY )))) YOU GOT TO GET THIS MOVIE. I HAVE ALL 3 MOVIES BUT I MUST SAY THAT THIS 1 IS THE BEST BECAUSE THERE IS ACTION AND ROMANCE THE "S"MOVIE HAS LOTS OF ROMANCE 2 BUT ITS NOT MAMORU AND USAGI ITS W/ LUNA AND A MAN I RECOMEND YOU TO BY ALL 3 OF THEM BUT THIS 1 FIRST. ( THE SOUND TACK((MOON REVENGE) IS KOOL 2) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ITS A GOTA HAVE MOVIE! BY IT YOU WONT REGRET IT/// FROM SAILOR MOON SUPER FAN SAILOR PHISYCO

5.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon R Rocked!!!, May 11, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I am a supper fan of Sailor Moon, and have seen every show, own all the manga, and have watched all three movies. Out of them all, my favorite has been Sailor Moon R. I have only seen the English version, and though I don't know what people are talking about when they say how horrible it is, I do understand that parents in America may not approve of some of the things they show in Japan. I thought that the storyline was good even though it suggested slight homosexuality. At first I did not even realise that was what they were talking about, I just thought that Feorie(sorry if I spelled it wrong)was a lonly person and that his only friend had been Darian(Mamaru). The ending was spectacular, I watched that part so many times that I have the song in it memorised. If you are thinking of buying it, do so! I recomend that you don't show it to younger kids, some parts are for mature kids only!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon S review, November 6, 2000
jonathan henderson (Oklahoma City, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sailor Moon R [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Sailor Moon is a great show. Unlike alot of other animes, the first time you see it you'll instantly fall in love with the characters. The "S" movie is probably the best out of the three Sailor Moon movies. The story revolves around a childhood friend of Momoru's (Fiore) who has come to fulfill a promise they made when they were younger. Hence the name "Promise of the Rose" in the dub. Not only does he bring a rose back, but a Kasemien blossom who wants to take over the world by crashing a meteor full of her life-sucking flowers into Earth. Fiore also captures Momoru (Darien in the dub) and takes him up to the meteor away from Fiore's "rival" for Momoru, Usagi. (Serena in the dub) After that Sailor Moon and the scouts teleport to the meteor to save Momoru, Earth, and Fiore from the evil control of the Kas. Blossom. the action sequences are top notch, almost Dragonball Z style. the flashbacks on the meteor when Fiore is about to kill Usagi is great. The scouts remembering when they met Usagi and why they all have such a deep friendship with her was a nice touch. All in all this is a great movie. some of it is unintentionally funny. Especially the scouts shouting out the planets in English (Sailor Juptah!!). this isn't intended for the younger audience like the dub. there is mild language by Jupiter and Fiore. a little nudity- the best way to put it is barbie doll like- and a few sexually oriented discussions, mainly about Fiore being gay and, as Ami put it, "Momoru seems to be very popular with guys too." If you've seen the dub and thought "this would be good if it wasn't so," as I like to say, "kiddy-fied," then buy this and watch it the way Sailor Moon and other animes were ment to be seen, un-edited, subtitled, and not butchered by silly voice actors and companies like Dic who sell this stuff to 3-10 year olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie - Better Than S, June 13, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Sailor Moon R - The Movie (DVD)
Let me first start by saying that I am huge fan of the show, but I had my doubts when I heard the plot line of the movie. I thought the love story between Usagi/Serena and Mamoru/Darien would be over played, it would create a lot of cheesey diaouge, and ruin any action in the movie. I was actually looking more forward to getting Sailor Moon S on DVD, but I was wrong - R was the BEST.
The story was far superior to what I was expecting. It was fast moving and the action was very enjoyable, even though it's something the show isn't really known for. The love between Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask is heart warming and in no way detracts from the plot, if anything it adds to it. Plus, we finally see why Tuxedo Masks uses roses in his attacks.
The animation is superior to the regular series, which was a nice plus. The image seemed clear and crisp and the colors were bright.
The voices were the same as the ones from the North American series, which I loved - I personally don't think they are as bad as everyone says they are. By this point, they know the characters and can add some level of emotion and sincerity to their roles.
The DVD contains the original Japanese background music, instead of the constantly reused scores from DIC. In the "extras" section, an ending which uses the song, "The Power of Love", can be found - the song, to my surprise, fits nicely into the story.
In addition, the DVD is unedited and includes both a Japanese and English soundtrack - so you get the best of both worlds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sailor Moon in trouble......., March 15, 2000
By A Customer

Sailor Moon R The Movie - The Promise of the Rose [VHS]
Sailor Moon R The Movie - The Promise of the Rose [VHS] by Kunihiko Ikuhara (VHS Tape - 2000)
$19.57