Published 23 months ago by Marcos

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for use with Flash Drive
Published 7 months ago by T. Gross

5.0 out of 5 stars Best FM Transmitter / MP3 Player in one for the price LOOK NO FURTHER, November 24, 2012
This review is from: SainSonic Multi-Function Car MP3 Player (Blue Display) (Electronics)
This FM Transmitter acts as both an FM transmitter for your MP3 player to radio, as well as acting as an MP3 player in itself. It is basically offers 3 way compatibility with an external source via 1/8" input jack (i.e. iPod, your phone, or any other MP3 player) or acts as an MP3 player itself by reading an SD card or a flash drive (has a usb input and an input for a standard SD card). The player comes with a very handy remote and if you are using the SD or USB/flash drive you can easily toggle through folders. It has its own volume control, and also emits a fairly powerful signal to reduce static and has a digital selection from 88-108 on the FM dial. Upon shut down and restart it remembers both the frequency and track that you were on. It is easy to use, has a nice display that shows the song, folder (if applicable) and other info.
To me, the most important feature of an FM transmitter for playing MP3s in a car is signal strength. There are lots of other quality transmitters available from near the price of this model upwards to 50 dollars and more, however they generally have the same functionality, perhaps maybe a larger display or a flexible extension from the input base (this one doesn't flex but does adjust), but for the expensive ones you are generally paying more for the brand and not the most important things, first being more signal strength (which tops out at a certain level anyway due to FCC regulations) and then being functionality like the SD card and usb options, remote, etc. Again this has all of that for a low price.
You'll be hard pressed to find another FM transmitter with this functionality and reliability for ANY cheaper, I've done tons of research and owned several. This is by far the best especially for the value. I use a 16 gig micro san disk SD card inside a standard adapter (I paid 12 dollars for the sandisk on amazon, bulk packaging) which holds A LOT of music and am always adding more from my PC. I can always hookup my iPhone, other MP3 player, or even a flash drive if I want and play music off of that.
FYI the FM transmitter spans the entire dial, so you can use any dead station, not just high or low frequencies.
Note on folder navigation: You can organize your SD, USB, or external player via folders, and the unit will intuitively recognize the folders... folder navigation can be tricky at first, but after using the unit for awhile it will be easy - the remote is necessary in the case of using folders.
It also has a directional adjuster (beyond just spinning the unit) whose function is based on the location of your 9volt adapter/cigarette jack to adjust the way in which it points so the display is best readable.
If you don't have an auxillary jack on your car stereo to accept a device that plays music, BUY THIS. It's by far the best FM transmitter for ten bucks and is practically as intuitive and multi-use as they get.
Other reviews claiming this is hard to use must be written by people who completely lack any tech savvy. It is very easy to use.

ONLY DRAWBACKS: there is not a "search" option. You can only skip between tracks, not search within them. For people who listen to long podcasts or that this feature is important to, you'll have to find a similar transmitter (there are a lot of them out there, granted this I feel is the best value) and some have the search option.
Another small drawback is this is literally an MP3 player... other formats such as MP4s will not read.
Some users may also find it somewhat difficult at first to toggle through folders. After using the device, you will get used to its functionality and this will be simple.

Also, not a drawback but informational note: there is no separate output jack - the "output" is simply the ability to send the sound (from a flash drive, sd card, phone, external mp3 player, or anything that can send sound over a simple audio chord with a 1/8" plug at one end) over an unused FM station. So, for folks wanting to use the functionality of this as an MP3 player that accepts USB sticks and SD cards but send it to your aux jack, it will not work that way, only over an FM station - look for an MP3 player that accepts sd cards if this is your intention then just go directly into your aux jack.

UPDATE 4-2014: My first SainSonic lasted me over 2 years. Somehow I lost it, and the biggest deal about that was I had a 16gig SD card in it, almost completely full with music. That's a lot. I was able to retrieve a good deal of it from my PC's old hard drive and my new laptop, so oh well. The new one I purchased is not quite as sturdy as the original. I don't know if quality control has gone down (I'm sure they are unfortunately assembled at a sweat shop in China) or if the new one I got is just an anomaly... That is not to say that it broke, nor to say I'm still not a proponent of this product, but the USB jack for flash drives moves a bit on this one, which could be a problem down the road, and the unit's 9volt plug is sensitive on this one... e.g. sometimes I will press a button and the unit will lose connection and therefore power down, and I have to plug it back in and get it plugged in just right to avoid this. I never experienced that with the original unit. Despite that, I'm still happy with it and out of all those other models I tried before this one, including ones that were friend's of mine that I used in their cars and inquired about the price, this little baby is still the best value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Works well. Best bang for the buck!, December 30, 2012
First thing to do: Unscrew end of connector. Take rubber piece and toss in trash then replace fuse with one in bag. The rubber piece will make it impossible to remove from car and can damage the connection of the FM transmitter. I'm tellin ya it was almost impossible to remove! If for some reason it's really lose in your car when plugged in then dig out of trash. :P However I have never seen any car device have a rubber piece like that though and it plugs in nice and tight without it.

I use it with my phone. You just plug the 3.5mm audio cable into the audio jacks and you're good to go. The USB port keeps the phone juiced too. All you do is pick a clear station on your Stereo and device. Simple as that. Press the Volume Knob to turn the on screen display on and off. That's all there is to it if you're using it with your phone.

On the downsize you can't use the remote or controls on the unit to change stations on your phone. Or use just the usb cable for audio playback like some Stereos support. These are minor nitpicks though. I could be wrong. I will play with it some more and if anything changes I will update this review.

If you do have MP3s on your phone you can play them though the FM Transmitter by enabling mass storage on your phone. However since I mainly stream audio I haven't tried this but I'm sure it will work as once enabled it has your phone act as a usb storage device.

All in all this is a solid FM Transmitter. It looks good and works well. Of course it would be awesome if it had other wiz bang features like using the remote to skip songs (Course this is a IR remote and not RF so it might not be a good idea anyways while driving since you'd have to point it at the FM Transmitter.) and maybe Blue-Tooth support but it's still better than some of the other FM Transmitters I have seen for sale and the price for what you get is great!

Lack of documentation is kinda lame but the back of the box shows the basic features and it's simple enough to use. I'd also suggest a retractable 3.5mm audio cable for less clutter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, August 12, 2012
This FM transmitter/modulator is a great tool with better looks and features than your average overpriced name brand transmitter. Its a bit smaller than it looks in the pictures which is a + to me. As far as the material, the plastic is not the most rugged but it's not easy to break either. The overall sound quality of both songs on the SD card and manual playback via my phone with the provided cable is superb, there is a minimal ammount of static or interference. I didn't test the USB option but I dont see why it would differ from SD card. The option to transmit the frequency of your choosing unlike other devices which offer only a few stations was very impressive to me. This is a sleek, performance device for the price and am very happy to own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more dangling cords, or charging MP3 players, or replacing batteries!, June 25, 2013
After using, and replacing several FM transmitters, I have finally found the "jewl"! It actually plays, directly from a Sd card. I no longer need to charge, or replace batteries, in a MP3 player. No cords are required, so no more cords dangling from my rear view mirror. Sound quality is also excellant. So Happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars it looks nice,works better and the sound is really clear., September 26, 2012
it looks nice,works better and the sound is really clear. I purchased this FM transmiter for my Audi and I never expected this clear sound from a small thing I use it everyday and I use it with a USB memory I got all my music in it and I change the songs using the control remote sometime I use the buttons on it but it is easier to use the control remote when you are driving. great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value - Sounds almost as good as hardwired, June 1, 2013
DaveT "davet" (Newport Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I tested this side by side with a hardwired connection directly into my Honda aux sound port - using iPhone music. The sound quality was a little worse but unless you switched back and forth it would probably not be noticeable. Works best when volume (and I presume signal strength) is near max as the volume goes down the static hiss typical of a blank radio frequency starts to become noticeable.

I also tried the SD slot. It does NOT work with AAC but works fine with mp3 and shows the name of the song. It looks inside folders but what that means is that it just lists all the songs in one continuous list irrespective of folders. The only navigation you can do is move forward and back within the list.

My unit came with the plastic round disc on the end packed with the cord. I really don't know why it is necessary and as others have said, do not install it.

USB port is handy and charges an iPhone just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for use with Flash Drive, March 26, 2014
I bought this unit so I could play music from a flash drive in a 2007 vehicle, a feature that most new cars have in their sound systems. The sound quality is fine and, once you find a good fequency, the reception is also good. A major drawback is there are no real instructions. So I had to play with the device and the remote to figure out how to change files on the flashdrive. Plus, the function of changing files does not really work well and the remote has poor performance. Another complaint is the screen is so small, there is no way you could change files while driving and see what file you are changing to. So if you preload a flash drive with music and don't want to change files, this device will work and produce pretty good sound. But other units offer better functionality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, February 1, 2014
Cool display

works better than other more expensive products

easy to use and navigate

Just a little bulky for my taste but I'll keep it

4.0 out of 5 stars good but coud be better, November 21, 2012
The car Mp3 player is a great affordable mp3 player that i believe that everyone who love to listen to music in their car while driving should try out. It Plays songs automatically of SD cards and Usb. The music sounds amazing coming out of the two front door speakers in a car. The Mp3 player makes it enjoyable to listen to your favorite music while driving to work or anywhere else. Although, i had a problem getting it to work the first minute that it arrived.I believe that they should include a brief instruction manual on how to connect it through in your car. The first step, one should take to connect the mp3 player is make sure that your radio or cd player in your car on Fm radio with a frequency of 88.1 or 88.5, next insert an Sd card or a Usb thumbdrive, then plug the Mp3 into the cigarrete lighter port, when the player come on search for a radio frequency on Fm on there make sure that the frequency matches the frequency you have set up on your car radio or cd player. Finally, you will be able to enjoy your music. I enjoy that little device. It is awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Car Kit, June 28, 2012
This car kit was a little hard to figure out at first but once I got it working it was great. The rubber seal that goes around the lighter seems very tight and with the cheap, lightweight plastic, I was afraid the device would brake on me.
Maybe it should be easy for "normal" people to figure out, But I think it should come with some kind of instructions for operation.
The best feature is the usb plug. I put music on the flash drive and just plug it in the player. It plays my music great.
The worst feature is the wires that come with it,, They are to short. They need to be at least 6 inches longer so your zune player can sit on the seat. (I velcrowed my player so I can just stick it on my dash.
All in All, It's a darn good gadget and you won't be sorry.

HERE IS AN UPDATE after using this product for a month.
It does still work, but I have found it's difficult to set and adjust.
There is just way to many things I have found that makes this product NOT WORTH BUYING.
I would never buy again due to; IT HAS NO MANUAL so you know what your doing. The USB does NOT shuffle, (or if it does, I haven't figured out how).
After playing for an hour, I notice the "static" come's in bad. Maybe the product is getting to hot to play right?
After a month, I would NOT recommend buying this until the company encloses an owners manual.

SainSonic Multi-Function Car MP3 Player (Blue Display)
$39.99 $13.39