Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on February 4, 2012
I'm not generally a reader of romance, but this was an absorbing novel. I was captivated from the beginning and eager to discover what mess Joan would stumble into next--and how she would extricate herself. Like watching a teetering tight-rope walker, I wondered if she would catch her balance before she fell--or, if she fell, who would be there to catch her. I like the fact that Joan isn't your typical "anorexic, drop-dead gorgeous" heroine, but has to struggle with a weight problem like many of us. She is also a realistically naive female who married her high school sweetheart, so was little prepared to face the world when he left her for a slimmer, prettier model. This story is about Joan's growing belief in herself, but her hard-won confidence may dissolve when a twist of a mystery threatens her newly found identity. A well-written and crafted story, totally entertaining, whether you're a romantic soul or not.
on March 6, 2012
Ms. McCune's debut novel is brilliant! I stayed up later than I intended to finish this romantic, laugh out loud story. It is a page turner that simply captivated me. I warmed to Joan and I felt she learned and grew throughout the story. My heart went out to Joan as she has some sad things happen in her life that she has to heal from and come to terms with. She also made me laugh so much. I loved it. Kevin the guy is a saint! Oh the things he puts up with. I like that he also wants what is best for Joan. I enjoyed the crime/ mystery aspect as well. I would highly recommend this delightful read. It has handful of swear words. But other than that it is clean. I wish Ms. McCune all the best in her career as an author!
on December 13, 2012
Joan Nelson's ex-husband, James, drops a bombshell. He needs her to sell their house because his girlfriend is pregnant. This is the final blow to Joan, who wanted a child from her marriage to James, but it never happened. Reeling from the divorce, she learns to cope with doing things for herself. She has no college degree, has a low level job in a law firm, and struggles to exist.

She's lost in her own world of hopelessness but her friend, Delores, who works in the cafeteria of the building where the firm has its offices, is more than willing to draw Joan into the dating game. They visit art shows, outdoor concerts, and even try a night out dancing.

Joan has an overwhelming crush on one of the lawyers, Scott, who rents space at the office. She wants to appear attractive but cookies and ice cream have been her friends since the divorce. One evening during one of her downward spirals, Joan watches a movie about Joan of Arc and then and there Joan Nelson decides she can conquer anything.

An old friend from high school, Kevin, shows up at her door. Kevin is a realtor. She is always thrilled to see Kevin, but her fondness for him waivers when she learns James has sent him to sell the house. Kevin is James' friend but he's Joan's friend, too.

She lets Kevin help her list house and when he shows her an apartment for rent in his building, they become neighbors. Joan relies on Kevin for everything from exercise classes to overflowing water heaters. She keeps telling herself he's a friend and she even asks Kevin how she could win over the lawyer she's lusting over. Kevin is patient and kind most of the time but everyone can see he's in love with her, everyone but Joan.

Then disaster strikes at the office. Someone is getting into the company files after hours. All fingers point to Joan as she is the newest employee. Her arch rival, both at the office and in the jousting of approval from Scott, Kimberlee, seems to be doing her best to implicate Joan.

With Kevin's never ending support, Joan has lost weight and even tried out for the company skit. She secured the leading role only to hear rude comments from Scott and Kimberlee during practice. Kimberlee warns Joan she doesn't know what she's getting into with Scott.

Even through tight security, the files continue to disappear and Joan asks Davis, a computer geek, who she and Delores met while out dancing, for assistance. With approval from one of the partners in the firm, Mr. Horowitz, Kevin, Joan, Delores and Davis set up a sting operation to catch the culprit.

Will Joan catch the criminal and discover she can stand on her own two feet? Will she understand her experiences with men started long ago when a piece to a childhood puzzle is revealed? Does Joan realize love is waiting where she least expects it?

Ms McCune gives us a soul-searching glance into the lives of many women who have stuck out on love and think they're mired in unproductive circumstances. Ms McCune brings redemption to Joan Nelson's circumstances and while the reader fears Joan will never see all the attributes of her long time friend, Kevin, love wins out in the end. Well done, Bonnie.
on June 29, 2012
Bubbling with humor and replete with growing pains of a divorced woman, A Saint Comes Stumbling In takes the reader on a vicarious journey with Joan Nelson. She goes from a stay-home wife with limited marketable skills, whose self image is in the cellar, to being a capable, confident, much loved lady. The zigs and zags, stumbles, falls, and scrambling back up to try again make the reader keep turning pages just to see what will happen next.

Joan's almost manic-depressive personality has her operating at "sky high or dirt low" most of the time. Her stages of grief, her self-deprecation, and her self-improvement projects keep her emotions on a roller coaster ride. In her self-centered world, she seems blind to both her mother and her longtime friend, Kevin's unfailing support.

Dolores, her ever optimistic friend, coaxes Joan out into the "hunt-for-a-man" world where Joan is exposed to segments of society alien to her way of life. The descriptions of these encounters tickle the funny bone.

Joan's obsession with Scott Clark, the young, handsome lawyer, sets her on a self-improvement phase that her friend Kevin organizes for her and helps her to stay on target. As they interact, the reader soon realizes Kevin has one agenda and Joan has another--fun to see how things evolve.

A few of the episodes in A Saint Comes Stumbling In are a little too-far-out, yet ridiculously funny. Overall the story is a rite of passage story about a "late-bloomer" who is slow to recognize her own worth and see the true love that's been waiting in the wings for her to mature.

Bonnie McCune entertains with a special charm. She writes in first person that fits the self-centeredness of Joan at this stage in her life. The multitude of funny events, disasters, and the metamorphosis of Joan make the reader's journey with her delightful. It's like riding on waves of both subtle and blatant humor with an undertow of the devastation divorce can bring to a woman. Good Reading!

Originally posted at LAS Romance Reviews
on February 29, 2012
A Saint Comes Stumbling In was a lighthearted, easy, and fun read. Joan is a woman fresh out of a divorce from the only man she has ever had a relationship with, and this novel reveals her transformation from someone timid, passive, and rejected to confident, powerful, and happy. She makes all the mistakes a romantically and sexually immature woman can make along the way, including not embracing herself as good enough and not seeing what a catch was right in front of her in the form of her friend Kevin. Ultimately, though, she finds love with him - the last man she expected to think of in a romantic way. More importantly, she gains a sense of self and much-needed courage, confidence, and tenacity that will see her through the rest of her life as a strong woman.

Readers will nod knowingly as they read through all the groan-worthy moments Joan endures - often at her own hand - and feel almost vindicated once Joan evolves into the complete and endearing person she is at the end of this novel. Peppered throughout is office intrigue, a fun best friend who pushes Joan into new things, and lots of lots of singing. A Saint Comes Stumbling In made me feel proud to be a strong woman, and glad that love was shown as it really is: connecting with someone who allows you to be yourself, for better or worse.
on March 5, 2012
"A Saint Come Stumbling In." Is an entertaining novel that will take you on a ride. Joan's ups and downs with her clumsy tendencies make you laugh. The other side of Joan has you applauding. She stumbles upon an office "problem" and finally finds her confidence and a new man. One that was there all along, if only she would have noticed. Inspired Romance Novels.com have some great reads.
on December 4, 2012
LYN'S REVIEW

I had two reservations about this book before I began reading it (even though it was recommended to me). The first was the title, which initially didn't appeal to me and the second was seeing (from the 'look inside') that it was written in present tense. I felt the writer would not be able to sustain this throughout. How completely wrong I was - on both counts!

The title is a brilliant choice - but you'll have to read the story yourself to discover how clever it is, and the use of the present tense is a genius stroke. It's the mark of an exceptionally good writer, beautifully sustained throughout, keeping events and dialogue immediate and the heroine larger than life in front of our eyes. I'd die happily if I could write like this!

Another truly excellent quality of this story is the witty, intelligent humour and writing style. Humour pervades every page - it's dry, it's wry - it had me giggling so much on the train one day this week that at the end of my journey, a fellow passenger nudged me and asked me if I wouldn't mind telling her what I was reading that was so good. Now any London commuter will know what an accolade that is!

A Saint Comes Stumbling In is almost a coming of age story, in that the heroine, Joan, never had a chance to discover herself and grow up in the normal way. Married to her one childhood sweetheart, she let him dominate her life...until he decided to move on to pastures new, leaving Joan stranded and alone on life's confusing highway. We follow her bumbling, stumbling progress through that difficult first year of her abandonment and watch her grow (and shrink) along the route. It's impossible not to love her more with every page we travel into her life and heart (to which she, incidentally, seems to be a complete stranger!) If I tried to summarise the story, I'd be bound to spoil it for others and I'd hate to do that. It's too good a story and too delightful a journey for me to ruin it for you - you must make this one on your own.

I promise you, it's a journey you won't regret taking. Bonnie McCune is a truly talented and refreshing new writer. I will be reading everything she writes from now on. Her first novel is superb and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Review Disclaimer: This book was provided free of charge in exchange for an honest review. The above review was not influenced in any way, including financial.
on April 4, 2012

on April 23, 2012
I really enjoyed this book! Joan's husband has left her for another woman. Alone and insecure, she must figure out what she will do now, and her supportive mother and an old high school friend, Kevin, are there to help her. Along the way, she finds out the truth about her deceased father, who had left her mother when Joan was very young.

While the style is realistic, it succeeds in showing the charms and details of every day as it captures the feel of what Joan experiences and inspires us to to see her grow. Everyone's had a fantasy to lose weight and fall in love. . .that's why people read romances--for fantasy. So we reach a satisfactory conclusion.

Joan discovers things about herself and her relationships with men, and she begins to bloom. She uses Joan of Arc for her inspiration, and her story is full of intrigue, humor, friendship, and romance. There is a little of Joan in all of us, and I was rooting for her all the way!
on April 11, 2012
Denver divorcee meets realistic trouble, friendship and romance...
Anyone familiar with Colorado will find comfort in the places, and if you've ever had a friend or a crush at work, been through a divorce, sold a house, or found inspiration in your everyday live, you'll identify with Joan.
Journey along her short path from heartbreak to heroine, in Kevin's eyes ;-), and take solace in the recovery from tribulations of someone who could be your best friend or your neighbor..someone you know well.