5.0 out of 5 stars A Saint with Great Imagination, Faith & Love

Published on January 29, 2008 by L. Salt

5.0 out of 5 stars A Saint with Great Imagination, Faith & Love, April 3, 2007
A. Ryan (Spokane, WA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
St. John Bosco has always had a great appeal to me ever since I was a boy. And this films just captures the man's real, profound love for God, for people, and for life. Especially his true compassion and empathy for outcast youth, tough street kids in Turin, Italy. Bosco had no father himself growing up, and it no doubt helped him have a special understanding of the pain these outcast kids felt as he did everything he possibly could to help them build lives that were happy, productive and closer to God. John Bosco had a lot of opposition from secular society and even within the Church in his efforts to build a facility to house and educate these kids. But he had a very creative mind, a great talent & imagination for inspiring youth, tireless devotion to their needs, and a deep, unshakable trust in the love & mercy of God. Flavio Insinna does a fabulous job in portraying all these unique qualities of St. John Bosco, and this film has a very authentic feel for the period with the sets, locations, costumes. The rest of the acting is uniformly excellent, including performances by Charles Dance and Lina Sastri. The kids in the film also do a fine job, and the overall result is a captivating epic film on the life and mission of one of the most appealing saints in the history of the Church, St. John Bosco.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving experience and a new friend..., September 23, 2007
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
We purchased several Catholic themed films last year; some were okay, some were very dull. Saint John Bosco was a wonderful surprise! Firstly, this film is beautifully acted by people who radiate joy and love! Don't even think about using the English dubbing! The characters are in their voices and you'll love them right away. Second, we watched this film over several evenings because we wanted to savour the wonderful story. We couldn't wait to continue again the next night! Finally, this was a wonderful example of Christian principles lived out. We were completely inspired! This movie is a must for youth groups and families. Anyone older who has lost their zeal for the faith will get a lot out of it as well! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly wonderful!!!, April 20, 2007
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
I have never been a devotee of St. John Bosco, but when my in-laws bought the movie, I wanted to watch it with them. It is wonderful! I really enjoyed this movie. I cannot comment on its accuracy, as I do not know enough about the saint to know if the movie is true to his life. That aside, this is a great film, and will inspire an love for this Saint of the youth.

2.0 out of 5 stars The watered down version of his life, January 29, 2008
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
I bought this movie because Don Bosco is one of my favorite Saints and I have read his life many times. I was very dissapointed. The one point that I found very good is that the actor (Flavio Insinna)fitted exceptionally well the image of this great man. I must say though, that once I started the movie, I realized that it was done in a way that would not raise controversy. The movie is very long (210 min.) and is divided into two segments. I watched the first one trying not to fall asleep and as I finished, I realized that none of the most incredible things known about this man, were even told. So, I hoped that maybe they were reserving the best for last, and saved it for the second part. Sorely dissaponted. There is very vague (if any) mention of any miracle, barely any mention of his incredible dreams and all the graces that he was given, were hidden. He was a phenomenal Saint, he had prophetical dreams, he had the gift of mind reading and he performed incredible miracles!!!! YES! He w-a-s a Saint for goodness sake!!! not just a good man with great intentions!. The producers of this movie seemed to forget that there are requirements for a person to be cannonized and it is not just about being a great human being!. I felt this movie was done trying to please everybody...rather than showing what a Saint really is made of. Don't get me wrong, it does show St. Bosco's incredible faith and goodness, but if you are looking for the real story of his life....this is NOT it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent film for the Catholic family, October 6, 2008
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
As a traditional Catholic, I HIGHLY recommend this film. I was a bit worried about a St. John Bosco film because he is always tauted as an anti-corporal discipline and more liberal Saint, but my fears were not fulfilled. It is an excellent story of a wonderful priest who had a great love in his heart for teenage boys and girls on the street. It is VERY well done, not cheesy at all, the acting is wonderful, and I would say it's one of my favorite Saint movies at the moment. Is extremely family friendly even though it deals with some tough items. For that reason you will have to explain a few things to your younger children, but I had no issues with my toddlers and 5 year old watching the film. If you are real particular about violence than you may not like it, but it is not gratuitous, it is necessary to the film, and it's not explicit. The light romances between some of the boys and girls are light and are not focused on, and the story of redemption and love in this film is one that will remain with you for a few days. Very good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Additional Product Info., January 25, 2010
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
A very uplifting and inspirational movie about one of the most influential people of the 20th Century. I'd also would like to add the the product description above that the DVD has two audio versions (English and Italian) as well as subtitles (Spanish and English), a behind-the-scenes featurette and a 16-page collector's booklet with study guide and film photos.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touched, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
This is not what I expected...I didn't expect to get touched the way I did when I watched it on EWTN today (11/3/2007). I'm buying it right away so I can show everyone else...absolutely beautiful movie... a tear jerker for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding movie about a very down-to-earth saint!, February 8, 2008
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
This DVD is outstanding! One of my favorite saints, St. John Bosco had a simple vision of helping other fatherless boys similar to himself. The plot of this film is perfectly paced with multiple adventures and keeps you in rapt attention despite its length. My children absolutely LOVE this movie and watched it twice in a row when they first saw it. The actor who portrays St. John Bosco does an excellent job. I cannot recommend this highly enough! Ignatius Press has another hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to a great Saint, March 10, 2008
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
A delightful 'feel good' Italian TV film made to celebrate the 1988 Centenary of Don Bosco's death - but don't worry, it is 'dubbed' into a quaint form of transatlantic English. Ben Gazzara gives a wonderful performance and looks uncannily like Don Bosco. Friends of the Salesians and aficianados of 19th century Italian politicians will find themselves looking for resemblences between the other actors and historical characters: there are many and they're all good ones, so it has all been carefully researched (watch out for the bearded Oratory Bandmaster Buzzetti, and John Cagliero both as boy and Bishop; although he's not credited there is even a St Dominic Savio lookalike!) The central love story is fiction and overly saccharine but the two lovers are easy on the eye, and most of the film is actually based on fact. At 20 years old the film does look a bit dated now (did labouring boys in 1850s Turin really highlight their hair and have it cut in the Modern Romantic style? We doubt it!) but don't let it put you off. This DVD would probably annoy theologians, but it should have a place in every true Catholic household. The cast of Italian boys steals the picture, and Don Bosco probably would have been happy with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Viewing, February 8, 2008
James R. Roth (Perkiomenville, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint John Bosco Mission to Love (DVD)
At first, I was intimidated by the length of this video, 200+ minutes.
We are all so use to 90 or 120 minutes in the theaters. Having watched this production, I really feel like I know Giovanni Bosco as well as, if not better than, most anyone I know. My life is, clearly, enriched by having had this introduction. The web of his influence has affected my outer decisions as well as having touched something deep within my soul.

ARRAY(0xa9481fe4)

Saint John Bosco Mission to Love
Saint John Bosco Mission to Love by Lodovico Gasparini (DVD - 2007)
$24.95 $19.74