5.0 out of 5 stars Effacing the Boundaries between People

Published on July 21, 2011 by tilt

5.0 out of 5 stars Effacing the Boundaries between People, March 24, 2011
David Hopkins (South Hadley, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Apart from the author's wonderful way with words and his evocative imagery, what struck me most were his insights into boundaries, boundaries between countries, yes (his protagonist was intent on breaching them), but especially boundaries between people. The author describes in a poetic way how great cities make us all feel insecure, and how this insecurity spurs us to be wittier, more energetic, more clever, more attractive than the next person. But, ultimately, this striving for status or recognition leads us to wall ourselves off from others and the world around us, creating a kind of well-appointed private prison.

The lead character, James Otis, the Saint, seems to offer a way out, through an emotional expansion that brooks no resistance, for it connects him with others everywhere. But in the end, as you will see, emotional expansion alone is too facile of a solution.

The author explores this dilemma of all modern men and women and in the process tells a great story, full of vivid and exquisitely drawn characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, a short read. An intellectual style of writing that flows well., May 19, 2011
Pleased (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
A nice inexpensive and short read for your kindle or similar device... I would call this a novelette. It is a page turner, a crisp intellectual style that flows well -- no other writer like Broudy. He's found a way to push intellectual-type fiction into mainstream accessibility. Looking forward to his next book.

UPDATED 5/21/11: Holy moly, I've just been informed this is a work of nonfiction. This changes the whole tone. The main character of the book James a real-life baby Gatsby living in his own fantasy world, made only possible by inherited wealth, freely manipulating people as if the were playthings to entertain himself. I interpret James' innocence as a sham, self delusional or not. Wow, I can't believe these people are real. What a great story. Congrats on the author for having the balls to go on this adventure wherever it took him and sharing it with us.

4.0 out of 5 stars A journalist's modern 'Candide' for a modern reading medium, May 11, 2011
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
In "The Saint," Oliver Broudy takes on the complicated task of following the eclectic, millionaire non-violent activist, James, around as he globe-trots, people-pleases, starves himself, and argues with an ever-present smile. The character is a contradiction--a modern-day Candide who is naive but cultured, who desires to feed the hungry but refuses to eat, he wants to help the poor but doesn't seem to care whether his money is spent tactfully or not, he is at once selfless and selfish, honest and a liar. Within James' faults, Broudy discovers his own. As a journalist, he lets his character sweep him off his feet and must desperately try to regain his footing by the end of the story.
In a way, Broudy's work is almost unjournalistic. He whisks us off on this crazy journey with people Broudy himself hardly knows and before you know it we are all over Asia. The writing can be confusing--if you zone out while reading, by the time you regain focus, James could be your friend, then your enemy, then your friend again. However, this is how Broudy intends it. While all he can do is let his character speak for himself, he wants to let us know the disappointment he has in James, the faith James can inspire, the charisma a leader of his kind can carry, leading even the most critical of people on a goose chase. "The Saint," isn't really about James in particular. It is, but it isn't. With philosophical thinking and religious theology interspersed throughout the story, Broudy's piece is more about what influences people and why. As the author critiques the imperfection in his "Saint," as well as his own flaws, we learn a little about why the conflict in Tibet and China remains how it is, why everyone in the world can't just cut military spending simultaneously and why naïve thinking is attractive but ineffective.
The fact that this piece is published for Kindle, I think, grants Broudy more stylistic freedom. He is not limited to the stylistic expectations of a magazine or newspaper nor encouraged to drone on forever in order to transform his research into a book. This freedom is important and you can see in his first person writing that he tries to use the freedom well. However, I think that Broudy actually faulted on staying too close to magazine format. He could have done more research on the Tibet-China conflict at the time in a way that informed the reader without boring him or her. Because Kindle Singles are fortunate enough to not be forced to conform to newspaper or magazine formats, they should try to converge the two types of journalism, or at least build a hybrid. The truth should always be the first priority with journalism, so I also think Kindle and Amazon could do a lot more to give the buyer information on the writer he is about to read with a bio or something near the summary of the story. As sad as it is for people who are trying to break into the world of journalism, who you are reading is almost if not more important than what you are reading. Without the backing of a publication name, Kindle Singles writers are going to need to sell their own name.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, July 21, 2011
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
WOW, I was waiting for some great epiphany to occur, what changed this man's life? Well....never got it. Got blood shot eyes trying to stay awake to read this. At some points I felt something exciting was going to happen, but never did. How much can one read about a man who has such little self esteem, confidance and zest for life, hold a crazy man up on a pedastole. At one point he thought this man was wonderful, went all over the world with him, became his right hand man, then realized the guy was human and crazy and makes mistakes, then they went home. That's it, end of story. Wouldn't waste my 99 cents again.

1.0 out of 5 stars ?, February 16, 2012
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Just finished and im .still trying to work out what out what it was about. It was ok for first quarter then zzzzzzz maybe its just m
e thugh.

3.0 out of 5 stars This short story felt long~, July 31, 2011
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
A true story of a man wanting to find meaning in his life by tagging along with a person he thought was more virtuous than he was. The grass is not always greener story. I felt there was a lack of depth of characters, so the story didn't grab me like I had hoped. It was just the facts, without much emotion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was not engaging, April 13, 2011
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I kept waiting for one of the main characters to truly interest me - I simply wasn't engaged by any of this story. The narrator thought he had found someone to follow, who would open up new doors and experiences, but as time went on he just found himself more and more annoyed and distrustful of the guy. That's kind of how I felt about the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, July 10, 2012
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This book had some good review, so I got it. Problem is, it's so long winded I just couldn't get into it. If a book doesn't grab my immediate attention, I find it hard to get through. Nothing against the author. This just isn't my cup of tea. It was a very slow moving first 25% of the book, I was unable to force myself to finish it. I may go back and try to reread it some other time, but for now, I just can't get through it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile, June 15, 2012
Ata Rabiee "Alex" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Well written story of manageable length. The characters were believable and the plot simple yet engaging. Would recommend to those that want a quick read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 11, 2012
This review is from: The Saint (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
With all the hype by Amazon about this short non fiction piece, I was expecting a really engrossing and spiritually enriching read. Unfortunately, this didnt deliver much of anything except a dislike for the "characters." I think the piece lacked any depth despite the events and title lending itself to it so easily. I found it uninteresting and quite disappointing.

The Saint (Kindle Single)
The Saint (Kindle Single) by Oliver Broudy