Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 5, 2009
I wanted to love this, I really did. I honestly feel that this is going to be one of those albums that will be fiercely debated among fans, and there may be a great divide.

I've been a longtime fan of Tegan and Sara since I first heard their album "If It Was You." I've dutifully collected their albums since 2003, and have loved the majority of their music. There has been great departures from album to album, as if they're leapfrogging sonically through various sounds and musical styles. I can respect this, as I'd hate for a band to get pigeonholed as a one-note...however, this album-while still brilliantly written with a poignant concept- is a musical disconnect for me. Their earlier albums had a warmth to the music that has slowly dwindled away with "The Con." While I still liked their last album (in a catchy, synth-pop way), "Sainthood" feels a little like those pop-punk studio recorded bands where the acoustic music is shined up and mechanized with digital samples and loops. I have no qualms with using layers of synthetic samples/loops/beats, but this feels like it doesn't fully devote itself to one side or the other. On top of that, I've never heard Tegan and Sara sound so divided. To me, it sounds as if they've given up trying to intertwine with one another and instead of collaborating as a unit, it's as if two split pieces are being held together for the sake of a studio album.

The album is fine. I don't regret buying it. Musically, I just don't feel the visceral passion that was apparent in their previous work. I'm sad to say that while their writing has become richer and more beautiful, I'm also feeling more alienated from the actual music and melodies they picked to accompany the lyrics.
77 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2009
With 2007's deceptively layered breakout record The Con, Tegan and Sara Quin, along with uber-indie producer Chris Walla, reveled in the darker recesses of indie pop, merging unconventional song structures and atypically diverse instrumentation with the kind of incisive, realistic lovelorn tales the two long ago perfected. Few would have expected the record to chart as well as it did, and it's probably no coincidence that this, their sixth record, capitalizes on this. It's perhaps the band's most accessible to date, but these identical twins are hardly the likeliest candidates to be mainstream sellouts. Rather, Sainthood is a full-bodied, meticulously crafted rock record, one that stands firmly on its bedrock foundation of guitar, drums, and bass and lets the duo's way with words and distinctive personalities shape the album into yet another uniquely Tegan and Sara album.

The two have always grounded their work in an essentially rock/pop mix, but never as blatantly as on Sainthood. Forgoing the quirky sonic soundscapes and expanded textures that characterized The Con, Walla beefs up the guitars and turns the amps up to 11, resulting in a thoroughly muscular record. From the jagged chords that open "Arrow" to the shiny keyboards and charging drum rhythm on closer "Someday," Walla and the twins pulls no punches, concocting a potent blend of post-punk and polished pop-rock that rarely lets off the gas pedal. It's perhaps Tegan and Sara's most direct record to date, one that shines the spotlight squarely on what has always been the two's strongest asset: their lyrics.

Tegan continues to play the role of designated hitmaker, penning catchy gems like propulsive first single "Hell" and the chiming alternative gem "The Cure." Her specialty is striking a Cyndi Lauper-like balance between straightforward pop structures and hooks that refuse to let go with lyrics like "screaming like no one might / call the cops and arrest you this time" or the authentic verisimilitude of want-you-back anthem "The Ocean." Sara, on the other hand, matches her oddball voice with suitably ambiguous lyrics and some of the more musically interesting tracks on the record. The funky Canadian (read: white) soul of "Alligator" finds her complaining of "alligator tears cried over you" and warns "run around on me / die without," while the surprisingly poppy "Red Belt" admonishes one to "slow it down, you have a tendency to rush back into your past / slow it down, you transfer all your weight and disappear / kneel, to condition all the feelings that you feel." For all their growth as lyricists and songwriters, Tegan and Sara repeatedly prove on Sainthood that not only do they work best when focusing on their everyday descriptions of love and broken relationships, but also when they continue their technique of writing songs separately. Each song here has a distinct Tegan or Sara identity, giving the album a well-thought-out sense of flow; in contrast, the one track written together, "Paperback Head," never really develops a discernible theme and comes off like one of the few half-baked efforts here.

On first listen Sainthood might even sound a bit bland to first-time listeners, as the similar production causes a few songs to blend together into generic punk-influenced alternative, particularly in the second half. But that comes off more as Walla's directive than the sisters', particularly when you consider how tightly wound the songwriting here is and how effectively the band delivers hook after delicious hook on top of consistently engaging lyrics. It's there on the stutter-step backbeat of "Don't Rush," it's there on the snarling faux-punk anthem "Northshore," and it's there in their enviable ability to make the listener care about their ubiquitous girl problems and obsessions. And really, who can't relate to girl troubles?
on March 15, 2011
Many of the albums I absolutely love took me a few listens to really appreciate. Sometimes an album doesn't have that overwhelming feel that makes you go "Wow... what was that!?" Sometimes you listen to an album and you are ready to dismiss it because you don't instantly connect with it, but then you figure, "hey I spent money on this I guess I'll give it another chance." That's me with this album. My first time through I was so disappointed that it wasn't The Con part II I just about gave up on it. Then I listened to it a few more times and I realized something. This album really is just like every other T&S album: it's a departure from what they have previously done, though reminiscent of the past. Once I pushed The Con out of my head and listened to this album, in as much of a void as I could, I fell in love with it.

The Con overwhelmed me, it was an absolute force to be reckoned with. You hear a song like "Floorplan" and you have to decide if you like it or not. Sainthood is much more unassuming. Its consistency, melodies, and subtle intricacies wore me down and won me over. Again, if you are trying to draw comparisons between this album and The Con you will feel like somehow T&S abandoned their "sound." But if you are able to listen to Sainthood for what it is, you might be surprised how it's much closer to a heavier So Jealous. Both albums are much more straight ahead Pop.

I've seen many reviewers complain about the repetition on this album. I just thought I would point out that this is nothing new for T&S (especially Sara's songs and this is the first album she contributed more than Tegan). Look up the lyrics to Walking With a Ghost (no they didn't miss a verse). After all these are the gals that gave us song titles like Monday, Monday, Monday and I Know, I Know, I Know - they like repetition.

Overall, if you are a fan of Tegan and Sara (especially stuff off their last 2 albums) you will wind up loving this CD. Will it be love at first listen? Possibly, but even if it isn't, just give it a chance. Eventually, there's a good chance you'll come to love it as much as their others.
on March 19, 2015
My favorite T&S album. It's more rock, edgy, and energetic than some of the other but also has tons of catchy tracks. The inclusion of the CD is really nice because you can rip that to your computer with the right settings to have it high quality. So it's higher quality than the regular 320 kbps you might get off a download card. But you'd probably have to be an audiophile to really care about that. 320 kpbs should be fine to regular use.
on March 30, 2013
My wife and I were listening to some Tegan and Sara and decided we wanted to go on a T&S binge! So we bought 'Sainthood', 'This Business of Art', 'If It Was You', 'The Con', and 'So Jealous'. Then shortly after, Amazon had a one day special on their newest, 'Heartthrob' for $2.99, and we added that. We like listening to them on shuffle and hearing their different styles mixed together. You can hear different influences, but T&G always have great harmony, lyrics and bounce that are all their own. This is fun alt-pop that also has depth and heart. Make Tegan and Sara a part of your musical life!
on January 20, 2014
It's hard to mistake a Tegan and Sara song when it comes up. They have a distinctive sound that is unique. It's not just the sound though, it is the whole package - they are very talented song writers and lyricists too. Amazing for a pair so young. Like the fresh snow in Canada, there is something pure and driven about these two.
on January 23, 2010
I'm a new Tegan and Sara fan. I stumbled across them by accident and immediately fell in love. I've listend to So Jealous and The Con probably thousands of times each and still can't get enough. For me, The Con is by far one of the best albums ever. Each track stands alone, yet comes together as a suprising whole. I haven't listened as much to their older stuff, probably because I can't quit listening to their newer stuff.
Sainthood, for me, is a great rock album with pop moments. I love Arrow, Hell, On Directing, and The Ocean. They're my favorite tracks from the album. I think any one of them could have wound up on The Con. This album seems to be a little bit heavier than their previous albums; gone are the acoustic tracks like Call It Off and Fix You Up and Soil, Soil. Replacing them, are poppy well written songs like Alligator and Paperback Head (the latter being my least favorite track on the album). Yet the craftsmanship remains absolutely great. I think for anyone, it's hard to follow up the album of a lifetime and when you do critcs and fans will always underappreciate it. But I think Sainthood is an excellent album. Yeah, the lyrics are repetative and the songs seem simple, but after a few listens I began to hear the complexities of them and their repetative nature resembles that of So Jealous (i.e. I Can't Take It, Walking With A Ghost, and We Didn't Do It).
The reason that I rate it at 4 stars instead of five is because I really like their acoustic tracks and was bummed to find that aspect of their talent lacking on this album. I think that maybe Alligator would have lent itself well to an acoustic arrangment rather than its pop arrangement. However, I do love the heavier nature of Sainthood. Another reason is that each time I listen to the album, I tend to skip over Paperback Head and Someday. I don't believe they're bad songs, just not for me. There's not one song that I skip over on So Jealous or The Con. The final reason that I rate it at 4 stars is because these songs aren't as personal sounding as their previous songs. They don't come across in the way that they seem like they could've been pages ripped from the personal diaries of Tegan and Sara. I just don't find them wearing their hearts on their sleeves as they tend to. They seem a little more gaurded on this album, like they're hesitant to let the listener in quite as much as they had done on The Con.
As an album, I find that Sainthood comes together well and each track is good as a stand alone or come together collectively and make a strong statement. It's overall a great album. I think they could definitly have done a worse follow up. I love it.
on May 5, 2013
Although I have found renewed love in their latest album HEARTTHROB (Which anyone reading this should totally rock out to) it was the songs "Alligator" and "Northshore" that got me hooked on these talented sisters. They just keep my ears, heart, and mind content.
on February 24, 2010
So are the tenties the new nineties? Sainthood is the first album I've heard from the Quinn twins, even though this is their 6th studio release.

I did a double take when I heard the jangle pop of lead single 'Hell'. Had I landed back in time? A look at the album cover confused me further when I saw the sisters dressed in 80s college striped sweaters popular in the days of New Wave. Even their haircuts reminded me of that era. When I plunged deeper into the album, I felt like I was transported back to the early nineties when bands like Sleeper, Elastica and Echobelly were headlining the riot-grrrl movement. The 3/4 rhythm of 'Nightwatch' also recalls Juliana Hatfield's 'Spin the Bottle' with its disturbing intoxicating rock-waltz style.

This album scores for its post-pumk sensibilities, and the twins'unique, hard vocals, brings to mind Cyndi Lauper at times, especially in follow-up single 'Alligator'.

Partly fuzzy, fey and quirky, and all retro-prog good fun.
on December 20, 2009
I'll preface this by saying that up until now, I was only a fringe Tegan and Sara fan. I'd always find a couple of songs on each album that I would like, but never the complete album. I'd always be interested enough to check out their new material, though. I'm really glad I did, because I was unexpectedly blown away by "Sainthood". There is a new depth to the melodies that just wasn't there previously. The music has moved to more "power-pop", with faster beats and more electronica influences to go with their usually strong lyrics.

My favorite songs are probably "The Ocean", "On Directing", "Red Belt", "Hell", and "The Cure". Truly, though, there are no weak songs. I hope that this album is the start of the wonderful music that Tegan and Sara are obviously capable of.