5.0 out of 5 stars Tight Controls. Good Graphics. A True PC Game.
Published on May 29, 2012 by J. Fig.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been worse.
Not the best sequel ever, but it could have been worse. The humor that made Saints Row 2 an enjoyable game has been replaced in this sequel with sex toys and jokes. Killing off the most popular NPC was not the best choice. Forking out extra money for DLC missions was ok, but 99 cents for stupid s*** like Penthouse Pets (whom you would rather shoot then have on your side),...
Published 18 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Tight Controls. Good Graphics. A True PC Game., May 29, 2012
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
Let's be honest, when Saints Row 2 came out for the PC, it was nothing, but a broken console port plagued by buggy controls. I, like many others here, was hesitant to buy this game and at the same time, very curious, because I own the 360 version and can't recall having such a blast playing a game. I laughed so hard at some of the missions, I was in tears. Just wait to rescue "Zimos", the dude with the voice box and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Controls:
So, I took the plunge and bought the PC version, and all I can say is, well done to Volition and THQ. You have redeemed yourselves. I have to admit, I started the game with a 360 controller for windows, but then decided to do the game some justice and give it a try with the old mouse and keyboard combo...and boy was I pleased?! From the moment you start walking, you can feel how tight the controls are, driving vehicles and shooting is just as impresive. It's been a long time since I played a game that reminded me of what a TRUE PC GAME should play like, and Saints Row The Third's done it. I was very impressed. The controls are so tight, I had no need to re-map any; in fact, I tried going back to the 360 pad, but found myself returning to the mouse and keyboard; it was nice to finally play this game aiming with a mouse, the true tool of FPS and TPS. Hands down.

Story:
Now, the story, for those of you who have not played the console versions, well, long story short, your money is gone, your hood is gone and now you must take it back at all costs. As I always say on all my game reviews, "I won't spoil" it for you. You will have the most fun you've had in a long time, I promise you that. This game is so silly and at times, plain stupid, but in a very good way. It takes elements from other games, GTA being the obvious one, and puts a spin to it that will make you wonder how the dudes at RockStar (I'm a fan) could miss it...You will laugh so hard your sides will hurt. The various weapons (a long one in particular) are fun to use, the various costumes and vehicle options will keep you busy and enterntained in between missions.
This game has kept its original formula, making it one of the best, most relaxed games you'll ever play. With plenty of rewards.

Graphics:
The game looks better than the console version and even more if you use Dx10 or higher. I'm running it at max settings with 2 GTX570s, 12GB, i950. I haven't had any issues at all. I've heard/read online that the "experts" think the game is not optimized for high end systems; well, I'm running it at max without a hicup. Game's smooth as it can be. Lighting and water effects look better than the console version and so do some of the textures. But to be honest, I'm having so much fun when I'm playing this game, I couldn't care less about the graphics.

Sound:
Both sound effects and the music are simply amazing. Explosions sound amazing. Gunshots are a bit generic, but never the less, they do sound good. My favourite is the background music during missions and the different radio stations. I was quite surprised to hear groups such as Tandem (a french canadian rap group) amongst others. 80's & 90's and a lot more rap. If you have a surround system, pump up the bass, this game sounds that good. Every single track played in this game adds a bit of flavour to every single situation. I sometimes drove around, not taking any missions, just listening to the radio; I would stop now and then to car jack a better looking ride, but then kept on driving.

Character and Vehicle Customization:
To put it simply, you have colours, clothes, hair styles, bling bling, rims, threads, bumbers, spoilers....what more can you ask? This is the one aspect of this game that others can't match. The countless options given to you add so much freedom to chose who or what you to look like and what you want to ride.

Record Mode:
The major difference between the console and PC versions. Record Mode, basically, record yourself (the character) during what you consider a good play/move or simply breaking havoc, and share it with others. I had a blast doing it and even try doing a bit of a remix with some video software of my own. It is fun and you should try it.

In conclusion, whether you get this game on sale or at full price, you will get your money's worth within the first couple of hours of play. So if you are still thinking about it, doubting it can deliver, due to past experiences, let me put your mind at ease, because Saints Row The Third has shown that the PC version can be an independent version, a game on its own with responsive, tight controls. What a PC game is supposed to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
Was at first worried about the PC version of this game because of what my experience was with Saints Row 2. I can safely say that the PC port is excellent and there is nothing to worry about. When I first started the game up I put the video settings to ultra like the egotistical computer nerd that I am, but ended up dealing with hiccups in what would be a relatively smooth game. Surprisingly though, when I turned down the graphics the game still looked great; so don't worry about giving up graphic quality for game smoothness. Gameplay wise, this is a ton of fun, huge amounts of customization, over the top campaign, great voice work (especially since you can choose from 6 different human voices o:), and a ton of things to do. Make sure you have a friend getting this too because cooperative play makes it all the more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am doing what now? Ok..., November 18, 2011
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
In the first hour of SR you will have more fun than you ever did in most "GTA style" games. I'm serious.

In the first hour you will rob a bank - with a helicopter, jump out of a plane - then jump through the plane, go skydiving while involved in a firefight and then you will storm into a military armory to steal a giant bomb and will hold off the tanks that come to defend the armory by using UAV drones. I'd go on but it gets a little absurd from there...

The game runs great, the voice acting is well done and funny, the missions are a blast and the opposing gangs are hilarious.

Oh and the game is on steam - except I love steam. So I'm not seeing any downsides there. In short - just buy it. I stopped playing Skyrim for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, dont miss this game!, November 22, 2011
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
Wasn't even interested in playing this game but a friend of mine told me to purchase it so we could play co-op. Some of the best fun I've had in a game in a long time! Silly story great gameplay and some nice/wild customization options. Wish the story was a little longer but still enjoyed every minute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, simply awesome!, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
I had purchased Saints Row 2 for my xbox and really enjoyed it. I then researched Saints Row the Third by watching some videos and reading what other people had said about it. I was very impressed with the character creator and quest system. I purchased 2 copies, one for myself and 1 for my son (age 21) on PC, so we could play together and what a deal on Amazon, they were so much cheaper than any other download site I could find.

The installation was pretty easy, though we had a little trouble shutting off the built in voice (We use Ventrilo and needed to go into the sound options in the game to shut off the voice stuff, it auto-detected the microphones and turned it on in game) and i'm not crazy about having to run "Steam" all the time with it. I already had Elder Scrolls: Skyrim installed with Steam so I muttled through and got Saints Row the Third running with it.

Once up and running I really enjoyed the early game play and then finally got to the character creation part. It was amazing, I was very impressed by the all the options. Coming from an MMO/RPG background I really enjoy that part of a game and this game really had it done well. So once that was done it was onward with the game and man...was it ever. It was very exciting. Its a little campy which I liked much more than say a Grand Theft Auto type. It had humor surrounding the game.

The story leads you along through the game but if you want you can just take off and go anywhere in the game world and do almost anything. I actually wandered and found an airport with planes parked on the runway....well one thing led to another and I was airborne above the national guard armory. So I abandoned the plane and was skydiving towards a helicoptor pad. I landed and grabbed an attack helicoptor. I don't think i've had so much fun and excitement in a game in a long while.

Literally, just go anywhere do anything in the game world. Have a friend join you for twice the fun. There is plenty of downloadable content for the game including a giant purple saints tank (comes in handing doing some of the more difficult missions), costume options and even a people cannon truck.

I highly recommend this game, though its not for kids and I wouldn't let anyone under 17 play it. Strong violence and sexual themes so be warned if you're thinking of buying it for little Timmy or Johnny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, May 11, 2012
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
I like Rockstar games, but always find that even with their many in-game jokes, pop-culture references and social commentary, most of Rockstar's games are too difficult and too psychologically 'heavy' to play casually.

Saints Row on the other hand is just generally light hearted and more game-like than life-like, and "The Third" is by far the best of the series. Very fun, over the top, and off the wall with lots of good humor, some cheesy humor, and well balanced, fun, and interesting missions that are not too difficult, though some are challenging. It is a pick up and play delight with wonderful customization options.

This is a must have for adult gamers who enjoy madcap violence and mayhem

5.0 out of 5 stars Will make you LOL, December 12, 2011
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
This game is up there with Portal, Psychonauts and old pc adventure games in terms of comedy. Its just so funny. This is also one of the only games were I find my self trying to beat all the side quests. Excellent game and DX11 support is a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Crazy Fun, July 4, 2012
Zanriel (NW Arkansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
From the over the top humor, customization options (gender, face, skin, hair, body, clothes, vehicles, etc.), and the accessibility (difficulty options, smooth controls), this is easily my favorite game of the past two years. I never thought I'd find myself admitting that, since it's not the type of game I normally play, but it's just so much fun! I can't get enough, and I'm really looking forward to Saint's Row 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Great, June 3, 2012
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
I bought this game because I'm on vacations so i just wanted to kill time but this is an Awesome game i really like the silly story and its full of action. I have spend 18 hours already and only have completed 32% of the game. There are lots of stuff to do in the city so it will keep me entertained for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fun game!, May 26, 2012
This review is from: Saints Row: The Third [Download] (Software Download)
I played GTA III years ago in college. I got bored, so I gave up the genera for rail RPG's. However I read the reviews of Saints Row and thought I would give it a try. I am not disappointed at all!! This game is pure mindless fun. The voice acting is great and there is enough to do to keep you happy. Honestly, the giant sex toy is my favorite weapon. This is a great game coming off a serious RPG like Witcher 2 or Skyrim. Buy it at this price and you won't be disappointed!

Rate and Discover Movies