Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meridian Player
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 21, 2011
The design of this player is good. However, when used on the Kindle Fire to play my own mp4 files of films and shows there is a major problem. The problem is that mp4-encoded films that are in widescreen format are force-fitted to the Fire's screen in a way that messes up the displayed aspect ratio. All the films that I have tried to play were rendered with an aspect ratio that was about 16% too "tall", causing everything to look stretched vertically. For instance, a film with a true aspect ratio (correctly rendered from the same mp4 file as 2.385:1 on my PC and on an iPad) was rendered on the Fire as 2.068:1. Another film that had a true aspect ratio of 2.237:1 was rendered as 1.987:1. I find this "squeezing" of the image to be so annoying that I have given up trying to watch films on the Fire using my own mp4 files. (Amazon-coded films, bought from Amazon, do not suffer from this problem.)

I suspect that the root cause lies within Amazon's code, not in this particular app, since the same problem occurs with the Fire's native video player. However, I make this comment here in the hope that the developer of this app will put pressure on Amazon to either (a) fix the underlying problem, or (b) tell them how to correct for the issue within the video player app.
on May 13, 2012
I can play movies that I have and it does it on the whole screen. thank you meridian player and it free
on November 16, 2011
This plays great on both my Android phones for files Android's native app won't play. But on the Kindle Fire, it won't play any file that the Kindle's native app won't play.
on December 31, 2012
I couldn't seem to find a better media player like this one.Trust me I have had this media player since I first got my kindle fire.And if you download a youtube downloaded u can download all the youtube videos u want and it will go to the meridian player.some people don't know this so they don't understand and they leave bad comments about this wonderful app.
on January 28, 2013
This product work with the youtube dowloader. It works even with avi files that I would upload from my computer as well. It isn't as intuitive as other players in that you have to hunt for the files a little bit unless they are placed in the specified folder that Meridian uses. Other players are more intuitive but don't handle the range of video files.

This one does not work with FLV files.
on January 18, 2012
I wanted this for my Kindle Fire because it supposedly plays videos in formats other than MP4 (AVI, for example). It doesn't. It won't play an AVI, an MPEG, or any other video file AND it locks up when playing MP4 files that the Kindle Fire's native application plays without a hitch. Would have been nice if it did what it claimed, but it doesn't. Hard to complain about a free app, but I wish I had the half hour I spent installing, trying out, and uninstalling back.
on December 16, 2011
Doesn't support enough file types. Tried using it with Skifta to stream my movies from my network share. When it launches a movie that it does support it automatically mutes the volume. When you try to turn the volume back on, meridian completely closes. If you relaunch the movie from Skifta, meridian once again mutes the volume. UI is not any better than stock, so there's absolutely no reason to download.
on January 7, 2013
The program installed quick and properly on my tablet. The picture quality was fine also. I wanted the player to view sign language videos. Each video took a long time to open, which is not the case with the native player. I was also hoping the player would recognized the chapter markers within the video so I could easily move back and forth, but it did not.
on July 11, 2013
Meridian is the only player I've encountered to date for an android device that supports continuous play playing one video and then the next. That's worth it by itself.

But I wish it had traditional controls when you tap the screen. Its swipe-seek feature is not intuitive.
on December 9, 2011
I'm looking for a mp3 player which will display Podcast Info and subtitles embedded within mp3 files as the audio is played. This app did not state it does in the descriptions nor was it able to. So I'm giving the neutral ratting of 3. I will give a 5 rating when I find an app which does this. You are welecome to leave a comment to my review should you know of on which does this.

Background info of what I'm looking for:
My Chinese lessons mp3 files have Chinese phonetic, English translation, and Chinese characters along with the audio. This makes them very useful to learn the foreign language. The size of my Kindle Fire is perfect for studding my lessons. However, the KF MP3 player and this app does not do this.

To enable this feature for Windows Media Player, to the following:
Right click screen on WMP, mouse over pop up menu "Lyrics captions subtitles", click "On if available"

To enable this feature on an iPod Touch MP3 player (may be the same for iPhone and iPad), do the following:
Settings->Music->Lyrics & Podcast Info - ON