Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sakura 50011 11-Piece Zentangle Clamshell Pencil Set
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on February 26, 2012
Created in partnership between Sakura and Zentangle® creators Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, this is an excellent starter set of fine pens and tiles for Zentangle newbies or old hands. The Micron's quick drying, non-bleeding ink produces beautiful permanent lines and the selection of sizes gives you two of the 01 - which you will use the most - and an 03, 05, and 08 for larger fill areas or broader lines. The tiles are die cut from museum quality paper and are simply a joy to tangle on. Unlike other art forms requiring lots of supplies, this set is all you need to enjoy the fine art of Zentangle.

You can learn more about Zentangle on their website, and for an online resource of tangles (Zentangle patterns) to learn visit the Tangle Patterns web site.
on April 8, 2013
Very disappointed with this purchase. Loved the idea of sampling different sizes of these pens along with the official Zentangle papers.

The ink in one of the 01's, the 03 and 05 is nearly dry, making very scratchy and unsatisfactory lines. The second 01 & the 08 are ok, (so the whole kit isn't ruined), but I'm not confident that their useful life isn't reduced as well. At first, I thought my paper was at fault but I have found that these pens are horrible regardless of the paper. Unfortunately, I discarded the packaging before sitting down & fully exploring the functionality of each pen--otherwise I'd return them.

I seems to me that this pack has been sitting on a shelf for a long time and I was the unlucky recipient of old or defective merchandise. The pencil is nothing to write home about... It's a branded Zentangle.com pencil - it works fine but hey, it's an eraser-less pencil. (I would've purchased the set without the pencil--I wanted it for the pens & paper sample.)

I gave 1 star because I am happy to have a few (5) squares of the paper to sample, enough to enjoy but enough to see for myself that I have quality options in my home that are just as nice as the official papers. (Yes, the official paper is indeed lovely and someday I might splurge on some more!)

If you found this product because you are new to the world of Zentangle art and are looking for tools, I'd skip this product and order the pens directly. Better yet, if you've got an art shop nearby, stop in and sample a pen--you'll get a feel for how these pens write/draw and you'll know that you are getting a fresh product.
33 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2012
This us a great set to have if you're new to Zentangles. The different nib sizes in the set work great for anything from very fine lines to bold lines and fill areas. If you aren't sure what sizes you like the most, this set will let you try out different sizes and get a feel how they work with your personal style.

The 5 Zentangle "tiles" that are included in the set are the "official" tiles from [...] They're rather pricy to purchase from their website in larger quantities, so these give you a taste of what they're like before you sink in over $30 (including shipping) for 55 blank tiles. The paper they're made from is a joy to draw on.
on September 8, 2012
Before you think you need special zentangle pens like these, check the art materials you already have. These are perfectly fine pens, but I don't know that I am doing better, or more, zen tangles because I now have them. There are probably many pens already in my supply closet that are just as fine. I'll be glad to stand corrected.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2012
These are the officially recommended pens, and there are many good reasons. They don't bleed through or feather out, even on the average sketchbook paper I use to practice. They are hearty - I have a very "heavy hand" and tend to ruin markers quickly. These stand up much better than other markers I've used. If you want to tangle, these are the pens to use.
on December 2, 2012
This kit is an easy way to get into the Zentangle process. You have special paper cards, the right pens, a pencil (important to the process) and a small instruction folder. Easy to slip into a pocket or purse for those boring times waiting in lines or for appointments. Helps get the artistic creativity flowing like playing scales on the piano.
on July 12, 2013
Could not even complete all of the 5 cards included, because two of the micron pens ran out of ink. Since I bought these to do Zentangle on ATC cards, I was sorry to have wasted the money. Not a quality item.
on October 22, 2013
I had previously been using fine tip sharpie pens for my zentangling. I was excited to get this set, because it said it was in a 'clamshell'. I took this to mean it was a hard plastic case, but really, the clam-shell is just the ordinary flimsy plastic packaging like most anything comes in these days. I was hoping to use it like a portable case, but its not anything of that high quality. These pens are good. In comparison to the fine-tip Sharpie pens, there are some pros and cons.

Pros: These pens feel smoother when drawing. It seems like the black is blacker (if that's possible).

Cons: These are ink, not permanent marker. It seems like fine-tip Sharpie pens dry way quicker than the ink from these pens do. I experienced some smudging when I would accidentally lay my hand over what I had drawn with these pens. I think this is something I will get use to, and be more aware of, but it is more convenient using sharpie pens, because they dry almost instantly. Also, the only other con between these pens and the fine-tip Sharpie pens is that the Sharpie pens seem slightly fatter in my hand. These are a tiny bit skinnier, which seems a little less comfortable in my hand. This could easily be remedied by using some sort of pen grip.

Overall, these pens are great. The 5 zentangle squares are neat to have. They are my first official zentangle squares, so it is neat to see what they are all about. Honestly, they don't seem like anything special. The pencil is neat, because it says zentangle, but its honestly just an eraser-less pencil. I'm not sure if I would recommend this set -- maybe for a complete beginner, though fine-tip Sharpie pens work great, too.
on January 14, 2015
I was a bit surprised to see the range of reviews for this product; while it's clear some buyers have received faulty sets, luckily, we received a very good quality product. No leakage; no appearance of drying out, although it's only been a couple of weeks of use. We've got more than one amateur artist and one serious adult artist in the family, and this set has pleased all. The variety of tip widths is excellent for their drawing applications. I was on the fence about ordering due to price, so it was a nice surprise to find the Sakura set offered as part of the holiday lightning deal specials. We ordered two of this set and were quite pleased with both. Hopefully there is now consistent attention being paid to quality control and shelf life of this product.
on May 6, 2013
I've been using these pens for many months now, haven't run out of ink, and the tips are maintaining their shape, none have started to flatten. In addition, the pencil included is the BEST! Not only does it make great 'strings', but it's fantastic for shading. I'll continue buying this product on a regular basis.