4.0 out of 5 stars A rose by any other name?
It might be helpful to mention that"The Saladin Murders" is the new name of "A Grave in Gaza". I must say I was not pleased to make the discovery after buying the book.
Published on December 11, 2008 by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I was disappointed by this book. As much as I loved the first one ," the Collaborator of Bethlehem", which I found absolutely gripping and wonderfully written, my impression was that Rees had trouble coming up with a good plot for this third novel in the Omar Yussef series. He spinned things out so the story just drags on.

On the bright side, Matt Rees is...
Published on November 10, 2008 by Valaya Gaudet "Prassina"

4.0 out of 5 stars A rose by any other name?, December 11, 2008
Bookworm "soferet2" (Jerusalem 93715 Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Saladin Murders (Omar Yussef Mystery Series) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, November 10, 2008

On the bright side, Matt Rees is skilled in describing events and places. You can feel that not only has he been to Gaza, where most of the story takes place, but that he has also witnessed first hand some (if not all) of the tragic events that he relates. I hope that this great journalist and writer will come up with a meatier 4th novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars anderson83ster, January 10, 2009
Matt Rees writes well - it isn't a happy book - the reality of Gaza isn't a happy place - but there a people trying survive with their integrity intact. I hope!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping but Violent, July 4, 2013
I foolishly thought this was the first in the series, but as I started to read quickly realised I was mistaken. I don't think it mattered that much though, as the characters were well-drawn and the setting - Gaza - realistic and visceral. A terrific insight into Palestinian life, its uncertanties and corruption, with a highly likeable lead in Omar Yussef. The body count was huge though, hence only the four stars - I don't normally like violent books. I'm keen to read the others in this series, but will try to start at book number one first!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad scenes from the Gaza strip, April 2, 2011
The history teacher Omar Yussef has a teaching profession assignment, but solves mysteries on his way. The solution to the main mystery is nice and unexpected, still logical enough (p.339 and etc.) On his way is also told the story of the Gaza strip (there is a map in the front of the book, but one can also follow Omar Yussefs travels on a pad.) It is a sad story, about corruption, murders, terrorism and misuse of government power - it is not very favorable for the governing of Gaza. There are very few decent people on that strip, if we believe the author, except for Eyad Masharawi, a lecturer at the university, and a few others. The story, of course, is a deception, as it should be. But is the setting real. Or a deception as well? The quote: "Sometimes the things historian ought to say are said better by writers of literature" p. 154 suggests that the author has taken care to paint a realistic frame for his story, if so; it is not a bad book. However, there are few, if any sentences to remember. But some scenes that not easily go away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is mis-named. This is actually A grave in Gaza. Read previously, excellent book but do not be confused by new titlecover, April 8, 2010
This is repackaged, not sure why. This is actually Grave in Gaza, not a new book by excellent author on the trials and tribulations of Omar Yussef, a teacher at a UN school for girls on the West Bank, who is confronted with murders which he solves. A literary perspective rarely seen here.

The Saladin Murders (Omar Yussef Mystery Series)
The Saladin Murders (Omar Yussef Mystery Series) by Matt Rees (Paperback - February 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.69