5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!!
Published 23 months ago by Cassandra Gemini

1.0 out of 5 stars Chips!
Published on November 15, 2012 by TaliaB919

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!!, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Sally Hansen Salon Insta Gel Strips Starter Kit, Wine Not (Misc.)
Let me just say, I work at the store that sells these and I was very excited to try it as I love to do my nails. I love Sally Hansen nail strips, I use them all the time. When the GEL strips came out with this little LED lamp, I was intrigued. Let me also point out, the store I work at sells this item for quite a bit less than what I see here on Amazon. I also need to add that the gel refills for this kit sell for five dollars more than the regular Sally Hansen polish strips. Onto the actual review:

The kit comes with the mini LED lamp, 16 gel polish strips (more on this later), a bottle of the gel top coat and the nail cleanser pads. If you have ever used polish strips, you apply these in the same way you normally would. Apply them all to your fingers then begin with the gel polish. Just apply the top coat to one finger and put it under the lamp. The lamp is easy to use, just plug it in and when you are ready, put 1 finger under the light and press the button. It stays on 30 seconds, turns off when the 30 seconds are up. Do this for each finger. After the light, the gel polish is dry, though if you touch it you will feel a stickiness. Wipe your nail with the cleanser pads to remove the stickiness and you are done. It is very easy to use and comes out looking very pretty. I did notice the strips for this kit are thicker than are the non-"gel" strips Sally Hansen makes. I did not like this, and sure enough, being too thick they start to come up at the edges after a couple days. In fact, the kit has a very involved process of soaking your nails in remover to get them off. All I had to do was get my fingernail under the raised edges and peel each off in one go. Very odd. Also, I had major chips after the first day of normal wear. Over all, the process was easy as pie, but I was still unhappy with the overall results.
This got me thinking, I wonder if I can use the regular Sally Hansen nail strips with this LED lamp, which I already love and are five dollars cheaper than these "gel" strips. Both strips seem identical except how I mentioned the gel strips were thicker. I had plenty of the normal strips laying about, so I tried it.

I did the exact same process with the lamp. There is enough gel polish in the started kit to use more than once (which is weird b/c if you buy the refill pack which is good for 1 use [again, more on this later] there is a whole new bottle of the gel polish). To get rid of that stickiness that I mentioned I just wiped each finger with a wet wipe. You can also use an alcohol pad if you have them b/c that's all the nail cleanser pads are, essentially. It looked great and the process was just as easy. I am on day 4 of this manicure and NO CHIPS and only slight wear at the tips. I have gotten multiple compliments at work. My overall impression? This kit is a glorified TOP COAT! And I really like it. :)
I think you can use whatever you like and just treat it like a gel top coat kit. Don't buy the more expensive refill kits. Use the regular strips. My next experiment? Regular nail polish.

Onto my little secret about these strip kits. Each kit comes with 16 strips, and with 10 fingers, that is a 1 time use. With as awesome as these little strips are, a 1 time use per kit is pretty expensive. I keep my nails short. The strips are pretty long. When I apply the first strip, I file it off, peel off the silver tab from the top part, TURN IT AROUND and apply the other side of the same strip to the same nail on the opposite hand. If that makes sense, you can use HALF the strips this way, and get two uses out of each refill kit. :) Good luck! I hope you all give this kit a try!

1.0 out of 5 stars Chips!, November 15, 2012
TaliaB919 (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I tried Sally Hansen Insta-gel strips for the first time, and I followed the directions explicitly. The process was easy enough, and they do dry instantly after using the UV light, which is nice. However, less than 24 hours later two of my nails have already chipped. For this reason, this system is not worth the $14 it costs for the strips each time you want to do your nails. For that price you might as well go to the salon and get a manicure done. I also do not like that you basically have to soak your fingernails in acetone nail polish remover to take the polish off, which I understand is true of all gel polishes, but its just not what I feel like doing since I just did my nails last night. I do not recommend this and I will not be purchasing again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to use with regular nail polish, August 6, 2013
I bought this and used it as the directions indicate. They came out good and lasted about five days before I got board with them. So I tried the top coat that comes with it with regular nail polish. Worked great. Tip let regular nail polish dry before applying the top coat and wipe the sticky residue with rubbing alcohol. I also used the led lamp to help my regular nail polish dry faster. And instead of using the lamp for 30 sec I did a full minute. The regular nail polish lasted over a week. To me it is worth the money just to get the top coat.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lasts slightly longer than a regular mani, but nothing like a real gel one., August 12, 2013
Overall impression: Lasts slightly longer than a regular mani, but nothing like a real gel one.

Pros: Easy to do, especially if you aren't good with clean lines. Looks nice while it lasts. Easier to remove than a real gel manicure. Not messy. Price. If your nails aren't too long, you can actually use 1 strip on two nails.

Cons: LED has a short and doesn't stay on. When I say short, I mean it doesn't stay on for the normal 30 second period. It goes on for 3 seconds, then flickers out. You restart it and it stays on for 5 seconds, etc. Peels slightly about a week in. CAN chip, even with a few top coats.

I think this is an instance of "You get what you pay for". I would have given them 3 stars (maybe even 4), but the lamp doesn't stay on consistently. This is a real problem since you can only put one finger in at a time. You can fix the peeling by filing it a bit and applying another clear coat. However, the chipping (which isn't terribly frequent) just is what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 19, 2013
I purchased this starter kit at CVS. I also bought a refill pack of gel strips called "Take the Stage" which is a sparkly gunmetal grey (funky & gorgeous), and used the kit to apply that color instead of the one it came with. This was my first time using polish strips and I am definitely hooked! I must admit that the process is very labor-intensive. You cannot skip any steps or rush the process, and I think the reviews that report the strips peeling off or chipping prematurely may have something to do with that. Technique is essential. The online tutorial on the Sally Hansen site is helpful to watch before hand. I made sure to buff my nails really well and clean them thoroughly with the alcohol wipes. When applying the strips they tell you to stretch each one towards the tip, and I noticed several other reviews mentioning that the strips broke off when they did this. I only had one instance of a strip breaking on me, and then learned not to pull so hard or so far. I only stretched each strip minimally and kind of patted it down on my nail as I moved upward. I also found Sally Hansen's tip to leave your thumbs bare until last very important. I tended to choose a strip that was just slightly wider than my nail, and then used my thumbnails (which are pretty thin and sharp) to kind of tuck-in the edges around my nail bed, severing off any extra strip and making a perfectly clean edge. So far I am on day 5 and have only one minor chip. I was able to stop it from progressing by applying a fresh coat of gel topcoat and re-curing under the lamp. For me, this is amazing, as I work with my hands constantly and have never managed to get my nails through even one day without looking awful! Overall I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it if you are willing to take the time to do it right. My only negative comments are #1- very expensive compared to traditional polish, #2- limited color selection, #3- they really need to sell the gel strips alone without the whole "refill kit". All you really need is extra strips, not a whole new bottle of top coat, file, etc each time you want to do your nails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clearance product for a reason..., September 20, 2013
I just purchased this kit in a retail store today. It was on clearance for $13.99, and I thought I would give it a try. I prepared my nails per the directions, followed the application directions, and they seemed to set beautifully. Except that now, three hours later, they are peeling off and chipping all over the place. I haven't done much since I put this stuff on (I washed my hands once, ran the vacuum in one room, and did some typing). I am extremely disappointed. If this won't hold up to light work, it surely won't hold up under my normal working conditions. This was a perfect waste of money and time. The stickers were terribly frustrating to apply, and I thought, perhaps, proper gel polish might work better. I doubt I'll give this a second try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!, April 11, 2013
As a mom I thought ..Hey, no dry time, No chip- Awesome. NOT SO AWESOME!. Within an hour 2 had chipped...within 3 hours 2 other ones had peeled off. I guess if you don't need your hands at all they might stay on a whole day..but I'm not betting on it. Save your money. There is nothing special here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy, March 13, 2014
Super easy to use. I layer the top coat over my normal nail polish and it lasts for weeks and is far less hassle than applying the gel strips which come with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow the instructions they are great, September 28, 2014
OK the strips were a slight pain to use but other than that I don't know what all the negative reviews are about. Maybe people aren't using them right or following the instructions because a week later and I still have a salon quality looking manicure. Worth the $13 for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... first time with regular nail polish and it was fine. then i tried using it 2 more times ..., September 21, 2014
i used it for the first time with regular nail polish and it was fine. then i tried using it 2 more times and it just was not drying. mabe theres something to the cleansing whipes. im not sure but it doesnt make it salon quality

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›