5.0 out of 5 stars Best $15 I ever spent!
Published 5 months ago by Jeanne

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
This book features lovely photography and average recipes. It seems geared towards novice bakers since it tries to dress up uninspired recipes with sprinkles & cutesie anecdotes. I'm not saying the book is bad, just average. It is not in the same class as books by Maida Heatter, Dorie Greenspan, Richard Sax, or the King Arthur books.
Published 2 months ago by old lifter

5.0 out of 5 stars Best $15 I ever spent!, March 3, 2014
This review is from: Sally's Baking Addiction: Irresistible Cookies, Cupcakes, and Desserts for Your Sweet-Tooth Fix (Hardcover)
Sally's blog is the only food blog I go to for recipes. I pre-ordered her cookbook as soon as I could because I knew she would put as much love and care into every recipe, photo, and lesson in her book. I received the book the other day and have already made her caramel corn (page 94), the gingersnaps (page 117), the lemon poppyseed muffins (page 13), and cake batter chocolate chip cookies (the cover recipe which is on page 106). Everything I made disappeared quickly and were all loved by my family, especially my children. I can't wait to make the brown sugar marble cake next. It looks so easy, yet elegant.

What I love about Sally's cookbook is that she took the time to include both cup and gram measurements, which is so helpful to those of us who like to be extra accurate with our measuring. Every single recipe has a beautiful photo to go along with it and the photos are on the opposite (or the same) page as the recipe, so you don't have to go flipping through the book to find the recipe's photo. Sally's recipe instructions are numbered, so it's very easy to follow along and remember where you left off in a recipe as you are going.

I own a lot of cookbooks and I usually find I want to make only a few recipes from each. But I will definitely be trying out every single one of the 75 recipes in Sally's cookbook! The whole book is full of winners.

5.0 out of 5 stars I heart Sally!, April 11, 2014
If you are a fan of Sally's blog, buy this cookbook. If you've never read Sally's blog, buy this cookbook. If you've never baked a day in your life, buy this cookbook. It is so worth it. The directions are clear and easy to follow and the photographs are beautiful. The recipes don't require any funky ingredients that you'll never use again either. So far, I have only made the double chocolate muffins which came out looking exactly like the picture and received rave reviews from my friends. This will definitely be my go to cookbook for desserts from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted!, March 2, 2014
Sally's blog has been my go-to for sweet (and some not-so-sweet!) recipes for years. All my friends comment on how I always have such creative and yummy treats for parties & holidays. I feel guilty taking credit, so I am always quick to let them know that I'm merely a vessel for Sally's baking genius! I just follow the recipes! Every recipe that I've made, from cookies to cheesecake to granola, has been easy to follow and delicious.

I was so thrilled to receive her cookbook after pre-ordering. Her book lives up to the high standards set in her blog; engaging writing, beautiful photographs, and amazing recipes. I can't wait to try out some new recipes; I'm especially excited to try out the Salted Caramel Crispy Treats - they sound so easy and SO yummy :)

I am looking forward to more cookbooks from Sally in the future!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Sorry I Doubted Sally, June 17, 2014
Amazon kept recommending this book to me based on my other purchases. After a while, I read some glowing reviews, and with a sense of caution, I ordered the book. After all, it was only $15, no real tragedy either way.

Oh wow! This book is worth every dime! Over 95% of the recipes appealed to me. I immediately made the Marshmallow Swirl S'mores Fudge. It was so simple to make, and everyone from my husband to my children was constantly in the fridge, cutting "one more piece". Then I made the Nutella Frosted Banana Cupcakes. The Nutella Frosting has been adopted by our household as the frosting of choice. We were all like cats licking cream from a bowl while groaning pathetically as we ate. Those babana cupcakes would make a fine substitute for a breakfast muffin basket if you leave off the frosting, too! Two whopping successes in a row definitely gets my vote of recommendation.

While I recommend the book, I do wish to caution that it isn't perfect. It needs another pass of proofreading/editing. I found a typo or two in the blurbs about the recipes which is technically not a huge deal. However, the recipe for the Pretzel Peanut Butter Cups does not include the use of pretzels in either the recipe or the ingredient list. Any reader should be able to utilize common sense to figure out from the photo that a pretzel goes on the top and bottom of the Peanut Butter Cup, but I've been reviewing cookbooks for years so I can tell you that this kind of omission matters to people.

Sally is a gifted food photographer. It amazes me that the photos she takes match the quality of the recipes she writes. The book is well made, and it stays open to cook with without the use of a cookbook stand, if you so wish. The font for recipes is a bit on the small side, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You will find a broad range of delicious treats to cook. This book is what you pull out for any occasion: birthday parties, girls' night in, bakes sales, and showers. It is fun treat cooking, and I can't imagine many home cooks not being able to glean something delicious from this awesome book. Sally, I hope there's a sequel in the works!

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, May 21, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, June 15, 2014
I am a huge fan of Sally's blog and this book is no different! A great variety of easy to make, delicious recipes with really nice pictures to go along . I've made several recipes so far and have received rave reviews from friends and family. I have many baking cookbooks, but keep going back to this one for new ideas!

If you like to bake, definitely give this a try...you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who wants to drool, June 14, 2014
Wonderful recipes, pictures & explanations. I collect cookbooks & enjoy as well as share SALLY'S ADDICTION. Fun, but good recipes explained so you can actually bake the item!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy recipes and delicious food!, June 4, 2014
I just purchased this book and read through it from start to finish. I couldn't decide what to make first and looked through my pantry for ingredients. I made the apple bread. It's really good! I can't wait to make each recipe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun cookbook, June 3, 2014
I have been following Sally's baking Addiction online. All my kids are grown and gone so I thought I'd get these as gifts for my daughter & daughter-in-laws for mothers day. There are so many fun and easy ideas, it is great for a busy mom that still wants to make treats.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT RECIPES, May 9, 2014
Jen Lylan (Fremont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been baking for years and I like to think I'm pretty good at it, but there are some things I've just never felt confident about trying. Sally has made those things (sweet rolls in particular) so easy to bake that I now make them on a very regular basis. I highly recommend this book. The recipes are easily made with Sally's clear and simple instructions. They are also unique and fun... the kind of things you'd like to serve to guests or at a party. Love this book.

$25.00 $15.81