on September 21, 2013
I highly recommend the Salomon Conquest boots for backpacking.
I just finished a thru hike on the Tahoe Rim Trail, 170 miles, with a 45 pound pack. I had no blisters and no foot issues.
I have worn many pairs of boots over the years and was looking for the lightest backpacking boots I could find for this thru hike. The terrain was a mix of soft sand to hard granite and the boots performed just perfect.
on July 22, 2014
Size Name: 8 D(M) USColor Name: Pewter/Autobahn/Dark GreenVerified Purchase
I have had trouble with boots because I have a small foot and a big calf. Often the top cuff of the boot, in particular hiking boots hits the bottom of my calf and chafes. Also the problem of having the toe box constrict my toes together which causes a blister on my pinky toe from rubbing it against the other toe. Last but not least, I have ski boot "sixth toe" bone spurs which make things even more complicated. All that being said, after reading the reviews and info from Salomon's website that said the toe box was large on these shoes and all the great reviews I decided to try them even though I've typically been a Vasque/Lowa guy. I'm damn glad I did! I took a huge gamble and wore these boots without any break in for a 21 mile backpack up Cascade Canyon (North and South forks plus Lake Solitude) in Grand Teton National Park. I tied the top of the boot very loosely (to avoid that problem with my calf constriction) and wore the boots for 3 full days while carrying a 45lb backpack without any issues whatsoever. No blisters, not even a hot spot, no problem with my calf and very very comfortable whether ascending/descending. They are very light and the lugs are very grippy on everything (including snow!). Compared to the sticky rubber of my Scarpa boots they are not quite as good for scrambling on Talus or solid rock but they still work great and it's a small sacrifice to make I think for what should mean much better longevity and as I said the lugs are gnarly and work great for unstable surfaces like loose dirt/mud/snow. So, room in the toe box, light, very adjustable, great lacing system and good traction. Zero break in period (at least for me). Great boot. 5 stars =)
on September 2, 2014
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: Pewter/Autobahn/Dark GreenVerified Purchase
I ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JFCMMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 expecting green.The shipment arrived silver-blue/grayish in color. I'm ok with the wrong color.
As for some of the other comments below, regarding sizing.
I ordered a 1/2 size up primarily because these boots were not listed in a wide choice size selection.
I also saw a comment about the boots were running on the small side, which I agree with.
One thing shoppers should keep in mind, is that these boots, are rated as a]]]]]]]] which can be worn for just hiking or primarily for backpacking .
Hiking boots on the other hand, can be worn backpacking , only,for short trips,my experience has taught me that if worn repeatedly for backpacking ,the side walls' of the boot tended to blow out. On a side note you also have less foot support with a trail hiking boot.
The reason I'm stating that here is because I've notice several posters comments complaining about the boot
being stiff or having a reinforced sole, my understanding of backpacking boots is, that's what you need in a proper fitting boot.
Overall, besides the wrong color .I'm very satisfied with my purchase.
They are a sturdy, lightweight boot. I've worn them on a mud slick river bank and they held, and provided me with the much needed traction I needed to keep from sliding into the Licking River here in Northern Kentucky, while doing trail/ riverbank restoration work.
I hope to use them on the beginning of the PCT on April 2015
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2014
Size Name: 9 D(M) USColor Name: Burro/Absolute Brown-X/Wheat-XVerified Purchase
These boots are brilliant. They do the job advertised. They are comfortable and fit my feet perfectly. They are light. They are dry, even when walking through snow all day. The sole grip is very good for a hiking boot. They also provide decent stability and support.
on February 16, 2015
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: Shrew/Burro/Deep RedVerified Purchase
I have tried several different hiking and backpacking boots over the years and finally decided to give these a shot after being disappointed by others brands and reading some positive reviews about Salomon. I have severe knee issues (4 surgeries) but I love to hike and need a good boot that will not leave my feet or knees aching at the end of the day. I have not been on a trail yet since it is the still the rainy season here in the great Northwest but these are so comfortable I have been wearing them everywhere from walking the kids to school to trips to the grocery store. I cannot say enough about how comfortable they are to wear and best of all - no knee pain. I cannot wait to load up a pack and hit the trail to see how they perform, I plan to put many miles on them and will post a follow up.
on November 10, 2014
Size Name: 10 D(M) USColor Name: Burro/Absolute Brown-X/Wheat-XVerified Purchase
Climbed rock faces, hills, and hiked 18 miles in ankle deep snow with these. While I should have worn 8" boots due to the snow, these boots with a pair of wool/poly socks kept my feet warm and dry the entire time. Amazing grip, comfortable and snug fit.

The only complaint is that while the laces are very strong, they can untie themselves easily with basic knots. Ever since I've tied them with a Double Slip Knot, the laces stay tied.
on January 18, 2015
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: Pewter/Autobahn/Dark GreenVerified Purchase
Bought these after reading all the (overwhelmingly positive) reviews, and because the brand is known. After years hiking in Croc's and tennis shoes I wanted something better, more comfortable and durable on longer hikes.
Took about 5 or 6 hikes to break them in. I wore them increasingly long periods, after which they felt very comfortable. Right size, no rubbing or blisters.
This lasted about 2 more hikes. Then I felt slowly increasing pressure on my right outer ankle bone. I tried to relieve it by varying the tying, tighter and looser. The ankle is now so bruised that I cannot wear or even tie these boots without major pain. Did some reading, with the conclusion that there isn't much one can do. I tried double socks, and some other bandages to soften up the pressure. Did not wear them for 2 weeks, and tried again, same thing.
I figure there is some lack of cushioning in that area, and after a few hikes, they started to crease/fold a little on that side, which puts pressure on a small area just underneath the ankle bone. Perhaps a manufacturing defect, since it happens only with the right boot.
Contacted the manufacturer and talked to some very understanding and apologetic gentleman who suggested to take pictures and send an explanation of the issue to their customer service. I did, followed up after a week, and now it is 3 weeks, no response at all, not even a confirmation of receipt.
So now I have a almost $100 pair of hiking boots that's completely useless. :(

Edit: After a few more times contacting Salomon, sending more pictures and filling out forms and spreadsheets I am now the proud owner of a brand new pair of Salomon 4D GTX hiking boots. They seem great for now, and while these here were a disappointment, customer service came through and made me a happy hiker!
on November 17, 2014
Size Name: 10.5 D(M) USColor Name: Pewter/Autobahn/Dark GreenVerified Purchase
I have used these for 5 hikes in fall weather, which where I live includes some snow and wet conditions.

First, on comfort I give it 5/5. I usually need to break in my hiking/winter boots as they never seem to fit perfectly. These ones fit perfectly, are very comfortable and did not need breaking in.

Second, on breathability, warmth 5/5. I have not seen these being marketed as winter boots, and they are to me perfect for spring, fall weather. They are very breathable, and comfortable to use in wet conditions. I did notice this past hike that, when it was - 10 and with snow, my feet got a bit cold when we took a rest while hiking. However, I did not buy these as winter boots, so I am fine with this.

Grip 3/5. I was a bit surprised by this. The boots get great grip on mud and forest floor, or dry surfaces such as rock and pavement. Having said that, I have found that grip decreases quickly when on a hard surface that is slippery (my experience was on wet snow on pavement). For that situation, I found these boots lacking. From my perspective this only merits a decrease of one star in then overall review since I do not expect to use these boots too much in those conditions as I did not buy them as winter boots. Having said that, any early winter rock hiking on these requires caution.

I am unable to rate durability at this stage, but the materials look sturdy.

Overall, great boots for spring, fall hiking.
on May 9, 2014
Sturdy, but incredibly light. I would recommend these boots to any hiker at any skill level. I will be wearing these boots for a long long time.
on April 11, 2015
Size Name: 13 D(M) USColor Name: Shrew / Burro / Deep RedVerified Purchase
The quality seems good. I ordered the same size as all my other shoes and boots and the same size as a pair of Salomon hikers I had about 15 years ago, walked in about 25 miles/day for three months and loved. In this shoe the front area is too narrow and causes serious pain in the ball of my foot. Unfortunately, this was not obvious until after I could return the shoes for refund. Loss of money I really feel. I need serious hiking shoes and can't afford another pair for awhile. So, since the advertised width should be compatible with my foot and was not, I have rated the shoes down. I tried to use them for a couple of months and no change in fit. The problem only got worse since my foot became more sensitive to the ill fit. If they had fit properly, the consistency after use would be a positive quality since they'd also not loose their support over time. So, if the slightly narrower front is good for your foot, the shoes should hold up well with use.

See 1 answered question