5.0 out of 5 stars My new winter "Go To" boots...
Published on March 2, 2011 by Kenneth Santiago

2.0 out of 5 stars Had higher expectations for the Aerogel
My feet tend to get a bit cold and these came highly recommended due to the use of the Aerogel however, the didn't live up to my expectations. This IS a nice boot, but even at 15º I couldn't feel my toes (even with a SmartWool Mountaineer sock on). If you don't have any issues with cold feet I'd still recommend giving these a try as they're well built, and very light...
Published 11 months ago by Shewhorn

5.0 out of 5 stars My new winter "Go To" boots..., March 2, 2011
I bought these and the Merrel Isotherm 8's this year and both are very nice, comfortable boots. However, when the temp dips below zero and you need better ankle support, these boots (Salomons)excel over the Isotherms. They are not only quite a bit warmer but they have excellent firm ankle support, outstanding traction, complete waterproofness and are light as a feather. For more tame cold conditions, the Merrell's work very well, but my Salomon's have to be used when the going gets rough in the winter. Here is my comparison:

Warmth: Salomon - 10 Merrell - 8
Weight: Salomon - 10 Merrell - 9
Craftmanship: Salomon - 10 Merrell - 10
Roomy toe Box: Salomon - 10 Merrell - 9

OVERALL WINNER: Salomon

5.0 out of 5 stars These are light despite the size of the boot. AWESOME., October 30, 2011
I got these for use while hiking in the White Mountains in New Hampshire in mid October 2011. And although they are a little more bulkier than the average hiker shoe or boot, they are a BEAST of a ultra light snow boot. Super warm, easy to jump from rock to rock, good traction, stability and so far they have held up well in the rain, although the description says they are designed to keep you dry for at least 8 hours during intended use, so I will see if that ever becomes an issue during extended periods of rain (although doubt it).

I am hoping to use these as my stand alone winter go to boots for daily use and winter snowshoeing and backpacking....time will tell although I am confident that they will provide sufficient protection and warmth retention from the elements.

so far, considering the 6 mile hike I did with 30 pounds on my back and 4000 feet of elevation change, I highly reccomend them for Alpine winter use such as snowshoeing and backpacking and general commuting, shoveling etc..(not for crampons or ice climbing) .

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally warm feet, January 5, 2011
I just got back from a snow hiking trip on New Year's weekend, this was the 1st time I got to use the boots. We hiked about 3 miles and made camp, temps were in the low 30's with snow all weekend. The boots worked great, in the past my feet have always been cold, to the point of pre frost bite, toes turning red and numb, but not with these boots. My feet got a little cold just sitting on the snow cooking dinner, and just talking into the night after the sun went down, but nothing like the boot's I've owned before, these things kept my feet toasty warm all day, and were completely water proof. My new best winter gear!

5.0 out of 5 stars Salomon Men's Toundra Mid WP Winter Boot, November 25, 2012
I carry out tests of boots. While checked vgluboky snow, moisture don't pass. Was in a warm room of 8 hours, the foot didn't sweat, comfortably. While at us temperature not опускалаль below 20 on Celsius, I wait for frosts. While it is happy with everything. Easy, convenient. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product truly lives up to its name!, December 11, 2012
I'm currently based in Semey, Kazakhstan where the temperature right now (December 11, 2012) is -31ºC (-23.8ºF). Even when I'm wearing just a single pair of cheap wool socks (US$ 1), which I bought at the local bazaar, these boots can definitely keep my feet comfortably warm at such an extremely and punishingly cold weather.

The shoe has a sturdy frame that keeps my feet well protected. The streets of Semey, Kazakhstan are not really shoe friendly, but these boots can definitely weather the "rough terrain" here.

If you live or intend to travel to places with subzero temperatures, these boots are definitely worth it! You won't get cold feet in these boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, roomy, yet supportive, October 24, 2012
I bought these boots because they promised to be warm enough to take on back country hikes in sub-zero temps. I've had other "-40" boots that failed to keep me as warm as I had hoped. This is my first experience with aerogel (vs. Thinsulate in other boots I've had), and will need to wait till winter for the verdict. In the meantime though, I can tell that the boots are very comfortable and allow me enough room for good blood circulation (critical for staying warm), and at the same time still offer the support I need for use in hiking, esp. with crampons - which do fit the boots (BD sabretooth strap-on), with length set 3 notches longer than what I use with my mountaineering boots. The support is much greater than I would have thought possible with such a lightweight soft boot. After some exchanges, I found that I needed to go a full size up over street size to avoid toe jam in conjunction with extra heavy weight wool sox. My winter gaiters can barely get around the 16" girth of the boot tops on my lower calves. I'll definitely size up on next set of gaiters. Though it wasn't one of my major selection criteria (so long as within reason), I am nonetheless impressed by the lightness of these boots in comparison with what I've been using over the past two years (NorthFace Lifty), while simultaneously they offer more ankle support and protection from the lumpy feel of MicroSpikes underfoot that I'd become resigned to with the Lifty's when hiking on hard, regular surfaces such as sheet ice on approach roads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boot, October 9, 2012
Amazing quality, fit, and warmth. I needed a good pair of boots for the upcoming winter. Needed something very comfortable and warm. The reviews are SO true. The best I've ever owned. This is the real deal for surviving Boston winters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Boots, March 4, 2011
BJJW (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Few weeks ago I purchased Salomon Tundra boots. I accidentally saw this boot in the Salomon store and it was priced $200 Canadian. Few weeks later it went down to $160, but I managed to find it for $126. Today the same boot is sold for $99. Anyway, be careful how much you pay for it. As for the quality, this is amazing product. It is suppose to keep you warm in -40C, and it does. It is very warm and comfortable, easy to walk in, and water proof. I went in 4" slush and my feet were as dry as the moment I put the boots on. So outside it is excellent. However, what surprised me how cool it is in the inside areas. I went in the shopping stores and spent few hours walking not even noticing I have heavy winter boots on. My feet were cool and did not get hot and sweaty what you would expect in such boots.
Overall, excellent product I will use for many years. I overpaid by little but still the price is proper for the quality this boot provides. You will not regret having this boot, that is for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Synthetic Winter Boot, July 30, 2011
As an experienced lightweight hiker and adventure traveller departing on a winter trip across Russia, Mongolia, and China on the Tran-Mongolian Railway I was looking for a high-quality winter boot that could handle seriously low temperatures without weighing down my (45 litre) pack or making me look like I was heading on a polar expedition. However, as a committed vegan I also did not want to purchase a boot that utilised leather in the construction. Unfortunately, as I researched possible options it seemed as though most of the quality lightweight winter boots available were not vegan. Luckily, I discovered an excellent review of these boots and ordered them immediately. As I was travelling with two friends, I also recommended they purchase these boots and they did so.

The boots are a synthetic construction, very light, and extremely comfortable! They are insulated using Aspen Aerogel, an extremely insulative material made from silica with the lowest bulk density of any known porous solid. If you haven't heard of aerogels before, they are a simply amazing technological discovery! Silica aerogel holds fifteen world records for material properties, including best insulator and lowest-density solid. The ability of silica aerogel to provide lightweight warmth makes it a perfect insulation material to use in winter outdoor gear, and many companies are now incorporating it. In a range of conditions from 10°C (throughout China) to -33°C (Mongolia), the boots provided the right degree of warmth without overheating. In Mongolia, where we experienced the coldest temperatures, my feet became cold after around two hours of low-intensity walking (exploring the temples and sights of Ulaanbaatar) in dry -30°C conditions. I lined the boots with Polarwrap Toasty Feet Shoe Insoles, 8-13 Men's, 1 Pair Per Pack (Pack of 2), another aerogel product, and was wearing a synthetic liner sock under a heavier synthetic insulation sock. However, this would be considered quite minimal protection for such conditions and when I later replaced the synthetic insulation sock with a neoprene sock I experienced no warmth problems in similar temperatures. Would I wear these boots in temperatures down to -40°C? I believe that such temperatures would push the limits of the boots, despite the insulative ability of the Aspen Aerogel material. Without accurately matching an effective sock layering system (socks should be layered for outdoor activity like the rest of your body, of course) with the right level of physical activity for such conditions, the boots may not provide the warmth needed. Additionally, I have not yet tested the shoe on overnight winter trips and do not know how they would perform (I would, however, be more than confident to use them for these applications). In very cold conditions (-40°C and below) I would probably reach for an alternative boot such as those made by Baffin and unwillingly compromise the distinct lightweight advantages of the Salomon Toundra for the extra insulation.

We wore these boots for the entirety of our trip and they proved comfortable, functional, and fairly stylish throughout cities and remote areas on aeroplanes, buses, and (overheated) trains. We wore them through museums and art galleries, out to dinner, and into bars and nightclubs without much trouble; as well as outdoor sightseeing for many hours (often in temperatures ranging from -7°C to -20°C) and for all of our other daily walking. One of my friends found the boots uncomfortable after about a week of wear (despite liking the functionality of the boot), but they did not cause any problems for myself or our other companion. Indeed, I feel that these are probably the most comfortable boots I have ever worn! I have a large volume foot with an unusual curvature, yet the boots fitted accurately--I usually fit US size 11.5 shoes in most brands designed to be worn without socks and US size 12 in shoes designed to be worn with socks--when using a range of different sock combinations (usually a thin synthetic liner sock under a heavier synthetic insulation sock); although the fit was pretty tight when a warm neoprene insulation sock was added. The boots provide enough room to move in the toe box, and the width of the shoe does pose a problem for me. The boot reaches to the middle of my calf, and I usually laced the boot right to the top although I frequently left them unlaced or loosely laced with no discomfort when quickly heading outside. The upper on the boot is very flexible, allowing a large degree of supportive movement that ranges from normal walking motions to squatting, lateral shifts, and dynamic twisting. The protective rubber cap of the boot is strong without being excessively bulky and forms a solid base for the shoe. Regarding the sole of the boot, I initially thought the less rugged grip would pose stability problems but the shoe held fast while walking across most icy surfaces and gave a reasonable degree of protection on the unusually thick black ice that had covered the streets of Moscow a few days before we arrived. It is also worth noting that the sole of the shoe would seem to match easily with crampons and snowshoes and minimise difficulties when wearing and removing them. The construction quality of the shoe is very high, and despite wearing the boots virtually everyday for over two months they still appear as new. I washed them in warm water after returning from the trip and left them in the sun for a few days and examined the boots for signs of wear, but could not find any damage at all.

In summary, I would highly recommend these boots to any winter traveller, hiker, or adventurer looking for a lightweight vegan boot that will quickly become your favourite shoe for a range of cold weather activities. I'm definitely ordering myself another pair!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds all expectations!!, February 11, 2013
I snagged a pair of these on clearance at REI during the New England Blizzard named Nemo (February 10, 2013). My old snow boots (Colombia Titanium) were soaking wet inside after several hours of shoveling, despite all efforts to dry them. When I saw these Salomon Toundra boots at 60% off suggested retail price at REI, in my size no less, I decided it was worth a shot. I cannot say enough about these boots. I spent several more hours digging out and playing in the snow with my son and my feet never got chilled or wet. Better yet, they remained dry inside so that I was able to use them during my commute to work the next day. I am grateful to have gotten a deal on them, but can honestly say they're worth EVERY penny at full price.

Rate and Discover Movies