Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

• Salon
  • Customer Reviews

Price:$3.49

on June 30, 2008
I like Salon, but not in this format. The attractive web layout, which always includes photos and comics, is gone for the Kindle edition. The writing is still timely and good, but there just isn't much of it.

Amazon has listed this publication under the "newspaper" section, but since there's only one or two new stories each morning, it's really more like an overpriced blog that only updates once a day. The Salon Kindle subscription costs as much as the premium web membership, but does not include all the extra swag that comes with that contribution. All of the online content is missing, and hyperlinks back to archived discussions of interest are not present.

For just ten cents a day, it's not a terrible deal if you really like the content, but it's no substitute for a true newspaper like the Washington Post or New York Times. I will go back to reading Salon in the browser since it works so much better there. If you want a left-leaning newspaper that really works in the Kindle format, go for The Nation instead, which is a great deal on a wonderful old publication.
on November 9, 2008
No one at Salon could possibly be reading their own articles on a Kindle. Items are riddled with nonsensical formatting, links throughout articles that of course go no where, and the 'articles list' section is just a total mess.

How they could think it'd be OK to just do some copy & pasting to get this edition up and running I haven't the faintest clue.

Sign me: Another disappointed Salon Subscriber
on June 24, 2008
Joan Walsh's column doesn't get delivered on the Kindle edition. When the editor of the site doesn't include her own column, there is a problem. Garrison Keillor's weekly column doesn't show up either, nor does Camille Paglia's occasional piece. The notorious Life essays rarely show up either. Last week's essay about some self-absorbed woman who left her husband after decades of marriage never made it to my Kindle, even as it made the rounds on several popular blogs. I have found out about several other missing essays after reading another blog's comments about the piece. I have subscribed to Salon on Kindle for just over a year and it seems like only Salon's in-house authors like Rebecca Traistor have their Life essays published on Kindle. The free-lancers don't get delivered and those are usually the ones "everyone" online is talking about later. I don't know if this is a contract thing or what, but Salon should warn its subscribers that several of the things Salon is known for don't get delivered to Kindle.

Also, everything arrives about a day late, sometimes two. I've noticed that Salon is available on my Kindle around 2 a.m. Anything already on the Salon page by midnight but dated for the next day will be on my Kindle in the morning, but not everything that is on the Salon page at 8 a.m. is on my Kindle. This often means that the day's feature piece doesn't arrive to Kindle until the next day, even though computer readers have been able to see it since before Salon staffers have started their new work day. As others have written, there is no updating during the day, so anything posted on Monday won't get to you until Tuesday. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect everything that would greet me on my laptop by 8 a.m. Monday would be on my Kindle that morning as well.
on May 3, 2015
Salon is an online magazine that covers a wide variety of topics. Its coverage of political and social topics has a progressive point of view. But if you would rather get neo-con points of view, just skip the political and social sections and enjoy the entertainment, good news, and other sections of the magazine.
on March 20, 2011
I enjoy this service and I plan to continue grudgingly subscribing to it, but I think that when you're asking me to pay money to read something that I could go online and legitimately find for free, you should be doing everything you can to make the paid product exceptional.

I only have two real problems with this format, but I find them both to be major annoyances. For one thing, the articles appear to be simply copy-pasted from the website. There are still references to videos and pictures that appear in the original article but can't be shown in the Kindle version. Links to other websites are one thing, since I can access them with my 3G service, but seeing "in the video below, x happens," even though they know that I, as a Kindle subscriber, can't see the video below, is not the kind of attention to detail I expect from a paid product.

The other thing that really irks me is that each new "issue" of Salon is full of the previous day's articles. Why? I'd much rather get a smaller daily file of exclusively new articles than huge files full of some new content and a lot of old content. It's irritating having to click through old articles to find a new one.

In short, it's the same great writing that you get on Salon for free, but it's also the same great writing that you get on Salon for free.
on May 23, 2012
I like the chronological reading experience of reading Salon on my kindle, but there are no by lines. It's so strange! I don't know how they're getting away with that. Please comment on this review if I am mistaken.
on January 14, 2010
only a few articles and half of all the news of the last edition. why I should read again yesterday news?
Update 11/12/2015: unfortunately Salon's feed has gone dead! instead of a new issue at least once a day now I've only gotten 2 issues over the past 2 months, and each issue has only contained 1 single article! I've complained to both Salon webmaster and Kindle support, no change. very sad because it's a great magazine. I guess I'll have to read it for free on the web site; really would prefer to keep paying to read it conveniently packaged and downloaded on my Kindle...
----------
my original review:
Reading Salon on my Kindle every day is very enjoyable for me.
It may indeed be that there is more content on the website which doesn't make it to my Kindle.
but the Salon content on my Kindle is usually engrossing and very interesting.
on May 14, 2012
Literally, I don't get it; I cannot subscribe to Salon for Kindle. I read it at one time, and would have continued to subscribe to it. But then I bought a Kindle Fire to replace my Kindle second generation and it was no longer available. I queried Amazon about it and they confirmed that it was not available for Kindle Fire. They reported that the publisher had not made it available for Fire. Apparently, Salon chooses not to provide it for Fire or cannot format it for Fire or has decided there may not be adequate return on investment to support an investment in formatting it for Fire. Whatever the reason, Kindle Fire owners will not read this version of Salon on their Fires until something changes.
on August 19, 2008
I have been reading Salon for years on their website and it is now a pleasure to be able to have it delivered to my Kindle. I would prefer, however, if they delivered in more of a blog format similar to the New York Times Current News for Kindle.