5.0 out of 5 stars He stepped on the scale--and got a weigh
All I want, when I step on the scale, is to get my weight, as accurately as possible. Don't need my body fat, don't need my bone density, don't want to have to put in batteries, don't need the day, date or my fortune, just my weight, within 1/2 a pound or so. Oh, and I have to be able to read the scale as well.

This product does just that. That's all it...
Published on January 7, 2009 by Justin Friedland

Published on July 3, 2010 by Diana De Avila

5.0 out of 5 stars He stepped on the scale--and got a weigh, January 7, 2009
Justin Friedland (Pound Ridge, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salter 200 Academy Professional Mechanical Scale, White and Gray (Health and Beauty)

This product does just that. That's all it does, but it does it very well. Thank you, Salter.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this scale!!, July 10, 2009
This scale is great! We have a digital scale in my house also and I would always be so frustrated with it because I could get on the scale get one number, step off and get on again a second later and get a completely different number. Our digital scale has all these fancy features like a body fat calculator etc. but it isn't helpful if you cannot get a consistent, accurate weight measurement. This scale however is extremely accurate, I consistently get the same number even when stepping on & off several times. It also looks great in my bathroom and is super easy to re-set if I ever have to move it around. You simply get it home, remove it from the box, set the dial to "0" and step on and off a few times to get it activated. It's so simple! It's also extremely durable. & I received it in two days with free shipping! I highly recommend this scale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but some shortcuts in materials, July 15, 2006
Despite a few shortcomings in the the materials used, I think this is a good scale. I think it weighs perfectly and consistently, with a smooth dial that doesnt bounce around. You can tell the mechanical parts are high quality, but its a shame the manufacturer made some shortcuts in the materials that were chosen.

This is the same scale sold for much more at Restoration Hardware. Unfortunately, the box said "designed and engineered in England" and on a tiny sticker on the bottom, it said "made in China". Unfortunately, this is a trick a lot of manufacturers seem to be using these days.

The large domed dial cover is made from plastic, not glass. Secondly, the gray non-slip surface was a light gray, textured sticker that seemed thin and had a few light ripples. It makes an otherwise nice looking scale look a little bit cheap; something that could have been easily avoided with a heavier rubber surface. There were a couple of voids on the metal under the gray sticker, and indentations were are when you step on the scale. It does go away after a minute.

I wanted this style because its a formal, classic look. My decision to buy it was that it seemed modern glass scales would much more easily show water drops and dust. From a size perspective, the scale is also very large, which is great if you have a the space.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very cheaply made. lots of plastic - dial lens fell off right away!, July 3, 2010
I was kind of excited to get this scale. As excited as one could be that is. I am dieting and I want to see a nice accurate picture of weight loss. I, too, like many of the others decided that I did not want all the bells and whistles and thought my Health o Meter HDM560DQ-05 Digital Weight Tracking Scale, Black might be a little too complex. I thought I would move toward simplicity. Ok ... so I thought I was headed in the right direction.

I unpacked the behemoth of a scale (this one is really long and large and you might want to think of space available for it). This goes far beyond the space for a bathroom scale. But I knew that by reading the other reviews on here. I was ready to make the room because this scale looked worth it. It cost more than some of the others in it's class - so I thought cost might equate to quality. In this case, not so.

When I anxiously unpacked my scale and took out the key (I turned the scale upside down to do this) the plastic lens from the dial came off. As I inspected the scale further (and attempted to re-seat the lens into the bezel) I quickly realized that this scale was made using cheap materials. That chrome bezel that looks so pretty in the picture ... it's plastic! When I saw the tabs on the lens and the slots in the bezel that lined up I realized that the tabs were too small and the lens would never stay put with any minimal jostling. I would forever be wrestling with a plastic lens coming off and dust and grime getting into the dial ... not to mention condensation if in a bathroom.

I currently use my Health-o-meter weight loss scale and it's definitely better than this one - but I wanted the simplicity and large numbers because of eyesight (I have MS and my eyesight stinks). Another design flaw I saw was mentioned by another reviewer. The dial to calibrate the scale to zero is right under the dial. This could be moved by a toe, a shoe, etc. Too easy to access and too easy to move that dial. Like most other scales, a spot under the top or bottom edge would have sufficed. The dial might be large, but the numbers are written in a sans serif font that isn't even bolded and becomes difficult to read, especially if eyesight is any issue at all. The dial is pretty, but it's difficult to read. How about that plastic lens - what happens if it starts to get scratches on it and the dial becomes even more difficult ot read? What about all the plastic ... will it hold up to bathroom condensation over time????

This could have been a nice scale, but I think they should send it back to the design shop or cut the price in half. I expected better quality all around and a little more thought put into the design. The scale may look sturdy ... but looks can be deceiving. If I thought that this scale would have been worth it, I would have returned mine for an exchange because defects happen. Instead, I decided to go for a refund and will either stick with my current digital scale or look for something less cheaply made.

1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and good looking scale, October 15, 2008
Mike G. (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
The scale arrived very quickly after we placed our order. It works and looks great with very visible numbers. It is more accurate than some of the digital scales we've had.

1.0 out of 5 stars my particular scale was defective, March 18, 2007
Once I got the scale, I discovered there is a "key" on the bottom that must first be removed before the scale will operate. This didn't seem to be referenced in the directions.

Then I tried testing the scale with gym weights.

A 10 lb plate weighed 4 lbs.

A 15 lb dumbbell weighed 8 lbs.

A 20 lb dummbell weighed 15 lbs.

My own weight (based on recent doctor's scale) was off in the reverse direction by 25%.

The scale has been returned as defective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well built scale, November 6, 2006
I purchased the scale, and the original one was stuck at 110 lbs. This was my first experience with a problem on something I bought from Amazon. I was delighted with the service. They immediatly shipped me a new scale, and a label for returning the 1st one, everything free of charge.

The new scale seems fairly well built, has consistant readings and is easy to see. I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not messing around with digital scales anymore., June 22, 2009
PIB (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a nice simple scale. It seems to be really well built and after using it for about 2 weeks it seems to be extremely accurate. Even if I try to stand in different places and get the needle to move it only changes by about 1 pound. You have to try hard to get a different reading.

My 3 year old boy has been "playing" with the scale too. So far it is holding up very well to his abuse.

My one wish is that it didn't actually go up to such a high weight. Then the spaces between each number on the dial could be a little bigger. You can read the dial, but it would be nice just to have a little more precision. Not a big deal though in the end.

Great warranty on this scale too and no batteries to ever replace! Get this scale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just weigh me, please, August 16, 2007
Delivery was prompt. Scale is working fine and is easy to read. It is slightly longer than expected but fits in both its storage and use positions. This is a mechanical scale and does not have "bells and whistles" - just what I want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate scale, January 25, 2012
I'm not very fussy about scales that I buy, but I was so tired of digital scales going bonkers on me that I decided to switch to a mechanical scale. I've always gotten a very accurate read out from this one and am very pleased with it.