4.0 out of 5 stars Twenty Smackers?
I was quite surprised to see that this maker costs twice here what I paid at a local retail store four or five years ago. I use it about every other week. I've never had a failed batch.
I would still recommend this unit, despite the higher cost. Most of the other contraptions I've seen are not only much more dear, but also require that you make lots of little pots of...
Published on May 4, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars why buy another appliance when the oven does better?
I was going to buy this yogurt maker, but after I read a review that said there was no thermostat in this machine, despite what the manufacturer claims (someone actually took it apart and looked!) - I decided to do further research. What I found was that I already had everything I needed to make my own yogurt - my oven. My oven has better temperature control and it...
Published on April 1, 2005 by CA Cook

‹ Previous | 14 5 662 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Little Yogurt Maker In Town., February 23, 2006
A. Murray (PA, United States) - See all my reviews
OH! I LOVE THIS THING!

I have used four yogurt makers in my lifetime. My mother made yogurt, and I inherited her maker. It was simply a large pot with a heating element riveted to the bottom. One had to use their own jars, and it worked fine. That was a million years ago. Upon its demise, I found a Salton that had plastic containers, which sat in openings in the base. I didn't care for it. Next there was a low, round-based jobbie, with a dome lid and 7 jars that came with it.

All those cute little round jars to store in the fridge. Yikes!

Then along came this little darling. Oh boy, what a joy!

This Salton is light in weight, compact in design, and cute. It looks like a little baby robot. And this baby puts out some great yogurt. In record time. At five hours, I have a mild yogurt, that is firm, and very easy on the palate.

The price is wonderful. I actually paid less than the currant price because I caught it on sale here at Amazon. It's worth twice what I paid for it. I like it so much, I might buy another one soon as a backup, because nothing lasts forever.

My tag for this item is "Wonderfully Easy To Use". It is. Buy one, you'll love it!

A few minor tips: Do use fresh ingredients as instructed in the recipe book. Do check the yogurt after four hours. It will probably not be ready yet, but may be within 30-60 minutes away. Yogurt gets more sour the longer it incubates. Follow the directions for heating the milk religiously. If it isn't heated enough, the enzymes in the milk (I think that's what it is) will prevent proper thickening. You must NOT let the milk come to a boil.

Don't be afraid to use some extra dried skim milk in your yogurt. I use 3/4 of a cup, and the yogurt I get is of superior texture, and very nicely firm. DO NOT beat the ingredients once you add the yogurt you've used as a starter. Mix them.

It's almost impossible not to get good yogurt with this maker, but it can happen. Don't be discouraged. Try another batch. Just make sure you're following the directions properly, and that everything is nice and fresh. You'll get lovely yogurt that tastes good. And it's good for your tummy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Incubator - doesn't get any simpler, December 29, 2004
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
{update 10/27: I bought this item for $15 a cfew years ago. I don't know what someone is smoking to have a $200 price tag on it! That's insane.)

I love this yogurt maker. It's small, light-weight, simple to use (plug it in to incubate, unplug it to turn it off), inexpensive, and does a really great job! I was planning to make yogurt without an incubator, but all those other methods require trial and error, or constantly checking on the temperature to make sure it hasn't gotten too hot or too cold for the cultures. I don't have the time or inclination for that.

I just pour my milk into a 1 quart wide-mouth jar, heat it to about 190 degrees (I make yogurt for my infant, so I do scald the milk to kill the bacteria), let it cool to about 115, add about 4 tablespoons of yogurt saved from my last batch, stir gently, screw the lid on the jar, place it in the unit, set my own timer for about 5 hours and forget about it. No checking on it, no worrying about whether it's too hot or too cold. When the buzzer goes off I have really good yogurt. I just put in the fridge at that point and it keeps up to a week.

My only complaints, and they are really minor, are the product description on this site and the "Time Out" Reminder Dial:

--The description on this site - whoever wrote it must have thought that an electric yogurt maker must mean a FROZEN yogurt maker because they put "Temperature controled - no need for rock salt and ice". Uh, okay, thanks. That actually threw me at first when I was shopping for my yogurt maker. I had to double check that this was not an ice-cream maker. Rest assured, it's not. But the description is correct I suppose... there is definitely no need for rock salt and ice!

--Now for the silly "Time Out" Reminder Dial. The top of the lid for the incubator has a dial with numbers 1 through 12. The instructions don't mention it at all, so I'm not sure if it's a 'feature' that was added after the instructions were written. I was trying to figure out how this "timer" worked. I finally realized what it is. It's just a manual dial that you dial to the hour you want your yogurt finished by. If you start it at noon and you want it to incubate for 5 hours, you dial the silly thing to "5". That's it. It's just a reminder for you. It doesn't buzz, it doesn't keep track of anything, and it doesn't stop incubation. As long as you set a timer you'll have absolutely no use for this dial.

As I said, those two complaints were really minor. Neither of them affects the functioning of the machine. It doesn't get simpler or less expensive than this yogurt maker. I can't think of a single other method for keeping the yogurt at the proper temperature while incubating that is easier or more efficient than this little machine. You can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars great results very easy to use for first time yogurt maker, April 6, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I agree that the plastic container, lid, and spoon are lame. Why did they make a domed lid that didn't fit on very well. I still use the container, but only because I don't have a canning jar with a storage lid to replace the plastic container with(as suggested by another reviewer). The first time I made yogurt it turned out great and it still makes great yogurt very easily. I was surprised how easily and quickly yogurt can be made. I have made soy yogurt and whole milk organic yogurt. The soy yogurt was good and not sour tasting at all, but if you incubate it longer than 3-4 hours, it separates. The whole milk yogurt is creamy and delicious with only a slight sour taste(unlike store bought yogurt). I have only had a couple of batches not turn out, but it was due to incubating the soy yogurt too long or putting in too much starter. Sometimes the whole milk yogurt is not as smooth looking as store bought, but stirring till it is nice and smooth solves the problem. I always take out 2 tablespoons of yogurt from a fresh batch and put it in a small container to use as my starter for another batch.I find it is faster to make the yogurt if I use a microwave to sterilize the milk and use a big bowl full of cold water to cool the heated milk. I am sure that the microwave is not the preferred method of sterilizing the milk, but it has worked for me and it is quick.I use the yogurt maker about 2-3 times a week since my kids eat a lot of yogurt. The yogurt that I make with this yogurt maker is much tastier, healthier(no additives and fresher), and cheaper than store bought yogurt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product at a great price., November 27, 2005
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I am very happy with my new yogurt maker! It makes smooth, creamy delicious yogurt.

It takes about an hour's prep time. You scald a quart of milk on the stove, then cool to 100-110 degrees (candy thermometer needed, not included). While the milk is cooling, pre-heat the yogurt maker. Then you mix in your starter (1/2 cup yogurt either store-bought or reserved from prior batch). Then dump it all into the yogurt maker and leave it alone for 4-9 hours. 4 hours gives you runny mild yogurt, 9+ gives you very tart stiff yogurt. I usually go for 6-7 hours: hat results in a firm and tangy yogurt. Yummy!

Then refrigerate and enjoy! I usually use organic skim milk. I store the yogurt plain, then add flavorings if desired when it's time to eat.

The price of a gallon of organic milk is about the same as a quart of organic yogurt. Since I eat about 2 quarts of yogurt a week, I'm saving over $3.00 a week. In about 5 weeks, the yogurt maker will have paid for itself, and I'll save about $150 in a year.

Con: It's a pain to clean up the saucepan `cause the milk sticks. The yogurt maker has a dial to remind you what time the yogurt will be done, but it's not a real timer.

Overall, I rate it an A-

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yogurt ever!, February 17, 2005
Nana (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I bought a second Salton Yogurt Maker because the yogurt is so incredibly delicious. I make two quarts at a time now and can't keep it in the refrigerator because everyone loves it so much!

I use freeze-dried yogurt starter with it because of the convenience. I add 1/4 cup of Splenda and a tsp or so of pure vanilla extract to the batch and in 8 hours or so, I have the most wonderful yogurt on the planet.

I would recommend this unit very highly to everyone who might be interested in making homemade nourishment that is second to none. The health benefits derived from this good substitute for ice cream are manifold. Eat it with your favorite fruits and healthy cereal in the morning for a way to start your day healthfully and deliciously. It's better than an ice cream sundae.

I have no reservations in recommending this unit, and the price is fabulous, too. Buy more than one; you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, October 14, 2006
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I make about 5 - 6 quarts of yogurt with this machine every week. My kids love them. My favorite is to mix with honey and frozen mixed berries. My kids love yogurt with real mapple syrup and granola or crushed M&Ms. Occasionally, I would add Nesquick and a bit of sugar and it becomes quilt-free chocolate mousse. My kids love it (so do I!). We have yogurt for breakfast almost every morning, that's why I have to keep making them.

I just use store-bought organic yogurt as starter, pour in cold ultra-pasturized orgnaic milk, mix it, let it sit for 12 hrs, and then it is done. I tried many different ways according to directions in the mannual or other books, but this is the easiest and it always work! I usually smell it and make sure it has a nice smell before I put it in the fridge to set. Occasionally (1 out of 20) I would get a bad result, perhaps because I did not clean the container or utensil properly. My kids like a thicker consistency so, after the yogurt is set, I always drain it with a cheese cloth for a little while. It works great. I would get a new 8oz yogurt every two weeks just to get fresh new germs. Each commercial brand has different germs in their yogurt and our favorite is "Brown Cow." Good luck with your yogurt adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the yogurt maker to own., May 1, 2005
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
My yogart maker came in a few days ago and already on my second batch. Took the advice of others and did the organic whole milk with the yougart starter from the health food store, processed it for at least 7 hours. I then chilled it overnight. It was perfect, nice and then I strained some and I like the thicker, creamier yogart. It was so good. I am thrilled I bought this little machine and you can't get any easier than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter kit for yogurt-making newbies, October 24, 2004
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I just got this device yesterday and after a little effort I created some really tasty yogurt all by myself! However, the reason I gave it only four stars is because the Salton YM9 requires you to do a little prep work on your own.

The tools I recommend you get are: (1) a cooking thermometer (mine goes from 50 degrees to 220 degrees F), (2) a large metal mixing bowl, and (3) per the instruction - a box of non-fat powdered milk.

You need to heat 1 quart of milk + the powdered milk in a pot on the stove slowly raising the temperature to about 210 degrees F (just below boiling) while constantly stirring. At the same time I put some water in a tea kettle and got it boiling.

Then I poured the boiling water into the "clean" metal mixing bowl to sterilize it. Right afterwards I poured the hot milk into the mixing bowl and then put the mixing bowl into a large soup pot filled with ice water. The instructions say you need to bring the temp of the milk down to 100 to 110 F. It helps to stir the milk while its cooling too.

NOW you have milk that is ready for the Salton YM9 yogurt maker. Add the starter yogurt to the plastic container provided, add a little of the warm milk, stir until it is consistent. Slowly add the rest of the milk and then let the yogurt cultures do the rest.

The trick to making a successful batch of yogurt is to think of yourself as a biochemist trying to cultivate some acidophilous bacteria. Make sure everything that touches the milk and the yogurt is super clean so that the yogurt bacteria will grow and thrive without having to compete with some unwanted bacteria that you introduced by accident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Cheap, Reliable!, June 5, 2004
Margaret Jeffers "mjeffers5" (Oklahoma City, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I have always loved homemade yogurt and absolutety love this machine! I had never bought a yogurt maker due to the high cost and most of them being too big. (I mean, really, can a single person really eat a half gallon by themselves before getting sick of it?) Making yogurt is really easy and some of the other machines out there make it more difficult. Also, this machine is very user friendly, designed simply (low-tech is best) and very practically. It maintains the correct temperature, takes up a minimum of space, cleans up fast, doesn't make too much, and since I use it almost every day, and have for almost a year, I am very impressed with its reliability. What else can I say? If it were a man I would marry it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product!!!!, January 22, 2006
Paula (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker (Kitchen)
I did not use the plastic yogurt container. I used a quart size glass Mason jar and metal lid with band. I sterilized the jar and a spoon in boiling water. I brought one quart of milk in a saucepan to 185 degrees (using a candy thermometer). I then let it cool to 110, which took about half an hour. Then I added 1/16 teaspoon of DCI freeze dried yogurt cultures from Dairy Connection. This culture is supposed to make a thick and mild yogurt. I poured the milk in the Mason jar and put the whole thing in the Salton incubator. I left it there for seven hours. When I opened it, I saw the yogurt had formed into a solid curd and smelled WONDERFUL! There was very thin layer of whey on the top. I closed the jar and set it in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day I stirred in the whey and put a little bit it in a bowl for myself and also gave some to my Rottweiler in his own bowl. I couldn't believe how great the yogurt was. It was mild, just a tiny bit tart, and quite thick. It tasted like high-quality plain store bought. I used whole milk and no milk powder. It was still very thick with this particular culture. I will add some milk powder next time for even more thickening and extra calcium. My Rottweiler loved the yogurt and lapped it up eagerly. The incubator kept it perfectly warm for seven hours and I had perfect yogurt AT A FRACTION OF THE COST of store bought! I had very little whey and the texture was not lumpy throughout. It was very smooth.

I have read that one key to success is sterilizing all equipment that will come in contact with the milk/yogurt. This seemed to work. I sterlized the candy thermometer, a stainless steel spoon, my stainless steel measuring spoon, the Mason jar, and the metal lid. Everything was sterile and the yogurt was perfect the first time I ever made it. Using a candy thermometer is imperative for perfect yogurt.

This product will pay for itself in no time. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. It is SO SIMPLE that you really can't afford NOT to have one!

‹ Previous | 14 5 662 | Next ›