From the Back Cover
Samba-3 by Example provides useful, thoroughly documented explanations for all aspects of a Samba deployment. Theyre the same kind of patient answers I got when my dad taught me how to ride a bike without training wheels. Now, if only dad knew active Directory....
—Will Enestvedt, UNIX System Administrator, Johnson & Wales University
When my colleague and I were first reading John Terpstras Samba-3 by Example, we were impressed by how easy it was to find the chapter we wanted to implement, and the ease of following his step-by-step approach. We always felt Terpstra was there with us, for every configuration line. It was like having our own personal tutor. I always take his book to every client that uses Samba. Additionally, Terpstra does something most authors dont, he keeps his documentation up to date. When we were doing our first implementation, he just released the update that morning; we downloaded it, printed it, and implemented it. Now, to me, that is cutting-edge technology at its best.
—Steven C. Henry
A cook learns to follow a recipe until he has mastered the art. This is your cookbook to successful Windows networks. I followed this recipe to migrate our NT4 domain to Samba-3, and the recipe just worked great. I could not have completed this project without the Samba-3 by Example book—it brings dry, lifeless man-pages down to the reality IT support people face.
—Geoff Scott, IT Systems Administrator, Guests Furniture Hire Pty Ltd
I used the book Samba-3 by Example to get started at 8:30 last night. I finished my complete PDC and it was up and running in six hours with Windows 2000 and XP Pro clients ready for work in the morning. Thats from someone who is brand new to Linux. This book is awesome! The Practical, Tested, Step-by-Step Samba-3 Guidebook Has Now Been Fully Updated!
—Jesse Knudsen, Windows Systems Administrator
The definitive Samba-3 guidebook has been completely updated to reflect the latest Samba releases and migration techniques. This books complete configuration files, step-by-step implementation instructions, network diagrams, and automated scripts make deployment a breeze—even if you've never worked with Samba before. From small office networks to enterprise environments, here are proven configurations, backed by guidance from one of the worlds most respected Samba experts, Samba Team contibutor John H. Terpstra.
This edition has added comprehensive diagnostic techniques and validation steps, as well as solutions to common implementation mistakes: everything you need to assure reliability and performance regardless of your network environment. In response to reader requests, the author has also added detailed coverage of updating existing Samba networks, as well as a practical primer on how Samba stores essential network information. Samba-3 by Example, Second Edition, covers all these scenarios, and more.
- Deploying no frills servers for small, convenient networks
- Implementing small- to-mid-sized networks using basic security
- Implementing full-fledged enterprise network environments, with tips for enhancing availability and performance
- Building secure, scalable networks with domain logons and roaming profiles
- Deploying Samba in environments that utilize routers and firewalls
- Examples that minimize desktop management requirements, using policy controls and folder redirection
- Integrating Samba-3 with Windows Server 2003 and Microsoft Active Directory domains
- Migrating seamlessly from Windows NT 4 to Samba-3
- Adding Samba servers as Windows domain members
- Configuring DHCP, DNS, and OpenLDAP servers to get the most out of your Samba network
- An example of Squid, using Windows authentication through Samba
- Estimating server hardware, using the practical guidelines included here
If youre a Windows network administrator responsible for deploying or managing Samba, Samba-3 by Example, Second Edition, is your indispensable resource. CD-ROM Included
The CD-ROM contains all example configuration files, scripts, and tools covered in the book.
About the Author
John H. Terpstra is a long-time member of the global Samba Team, a loose-knit group of about thirty people who contribute regularly to Samba.