From the Back Cover
- Get up to speed about essential advance directive documents, such as a power of attorney and living will
- Understand how each state's laws treat same-sex relationships
- Create essential estate planning documents, such as a will and living revocable trust
CD includes helpful tools, forms, and sample legal documents
A practical guide to LGBT legal issues and how to protect yourself, your partner, and your family
Same-Sex Legal Kit For Dummies is a practical, plain-English guide to the legal information and guidance LGBT people, whether single or coupled, need from making decisions about protecting your families to making medical decisions, taking care of finances when one partner is incapacitated, leaving property to loved ones, having and raising children, and much more.
- Understanding the marriage debate figure out what marriage really means and arm yourself with the legal information you need to protect your rights in a same-sex relationship
- The daily grind consider money issues (like merging or keeping finances separate) and make informed decisions about everyday issues families face
- Yours, mine, and ours get the scoop on wills and trusts, and why the living revocable trust is such an important estate planning tool for you and your partner
Dozens of helpful forms and letters to assist you in drafting important legal documents, such as a durable power of attorney, living will, living-together agreement, parenting agreement, and much more.
Please see CD appendix for complete system requirements.
Open the book and find:
- A plain-English explanation of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)
- Guidance on facing discrimination
- The ins and outs of artificial insemination, adoption, and surrogacy
- Advice on joining assets and starting a family
- Tax issues for same-sex couples
- The 4-1-1 on immigration concerns for LGBT folks
- How to deal with personal injury and the death of your partner
- What LGBT soldiers need to know about the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell
About the Author
Carrie Stone, along with her life partner, co-owns and operates Rainbow Law, an online legal information and document preparation resource for the LGBT community.
John G. Culhane is a Professor of Law and the Director of the Health Law Institute at Widener University School of Law.