Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Same-Sex Marriage: Pro and Con
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on September 20, 2001
The book is indeed well-balanced, and comprehensive (considering the dearth of information and research on this subject and its relatively recent rise to a prominent place in public discussion). Highly recommended for anyone seeking greater understanding of this issue.
It is best used as a resource, rather than read straight through. The arguments presented often get bogged down in wordy legal and political jargon. Not that there isn't a place for such books; I just wish it were more accessible for the average person, so I could give a copy to my grandparents to read, for example.
on October 11, 1999
A great collection of arguments both for and against Same-sex marriage. Although the author admits his bias (pro) and includes many of his own arguments and essays, the book is really rather evenly done. I suspect that most people will not be swayed either way because there is plenty of reinforcement for both sides. This is a book I would like to have in my library.
on May 23, 1999
Sullivan has put together a definitive compilation of pro-and-con-arguments over the issue of same-sex marriage--one which demands reading by both sides in the debate. It should not, however, simply and blindly be used to bolster one's own position on the issue. Use this reader to learn why the opposition feels the way they feel and believes what they believe. Understanding the intensity of and reasoning behind these positions will doubtless improve the intellectual quality of the debate on both sides (a point our friend from the Heritage Foundation [below] and his ilk miss entirely).
on March 18, 2014
Nothing awesome here. More or less explained the sides of this issue. I bought it for a friend who's not pro same-sex marriage in hopes that he'd read something that'd get him to think. Not powerful enough to accomplish that.
on November 15, 2008
"Same-Sex Marriage:Pro&Con" is an excellent summation of the gay marriage debate. Before the once-controversial Vermont civil unions, before Gavin Newsom had same-sex couples tie the knot in San Francisco,Andrew Sullivan begins by chronicling with the Hawaiian Supreme Court case. He has the original documents from the Defense of Marriage Act debate (an act that Pres. Bill Clinton reluctantly signed)

"Pro&Con" shows both sides fairly. Conservatives are given plenty of space to voice their views,as do liberals. What an advantage is the original documents. It's had to be considerably updated,since San Francisco as well as the Supreme Court case that led Justice Antonin Scalia to claim that legalizing sodomy would lead to gay marriage (as if straight people don't do it?)

"Pro&Con" helps one explore the gay marriage debate in depth. One can see both sides now.
on June 6, 2007
I can't recommend Andrew Sullivan's "Same-Sex Marriage: Pro and Con" highly enough.

It's an anthology, and the pieces excerpted do exactly what the title says: they provide a reader into pro and con positions in the same sex marriage debate. Sullivan is very fair. He really does present a variety of points of view.

The reader is so thorough, after you've read it, you may realize that it would be hard to say anything new on the topic.

In addition to being useful, I found the book fascinating. It's intriguing to read of how marriage between persons of the same gender was conceived long ago in China, or in Medieval Europe. I do use the book in classes I teach, but I also enjoyed reading it.
on January 21, 2013
I really like this book, even though I have yet to finish it, I will keep it and finish it after nursing school. It was really helpful for my class and outside.

It came in great condition and on time.
on July 8, 2014
My only regret is not reading this book when it was first published. Anyone that doesn't feel the same way after finishing it, needs to read it again.
on May 25, 2013
This book has an interesting approach to offering a balanced view. It was helpful in the study of the same sex debate.
on November 16, 2008
This book is a fantastic resource and I would recommmend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about the topic.