4.0 out of 5 stars Will the wedding party be a party or a wedding?
Sione is getting married. He has decided that he does not want his brother Michael, and his three party-boys mates, to attend.

They have nearly ruined every wedding they have attended. But they are given a chance to attend - they must bring real girl-friends,

Published on January 12, 2007 by Charles Eggen

3.0 out of 5 stars Samoan wedding
Love the movie. Pity the DVD wasn't to standard was very grainy in parts. But overall great for a laugh
Published on October 9, 2011 by Lollie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Will the wedding party be a party or a wedding?, January 12, 2007
Charles Eggen (Springfield, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)

not party-girls, to the wedding and they have one month to pull it together. This comedy set in Auckland about first generation Samoan

New Zealanders, starts a bit slow, but by the time of the wedding, it gains speed and really becomes the urban romantic comedy it is

meant to be. If you are not Samoan, nor familiar with Samoan New Zealanders, you might not appreciate the inside humour, but

the writing and acting is good enough to make this light-hearted romp a winner for most. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and etnertaining., February 28, 2007
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
This movie is a MUST watch for anyone who has any experience with the Samoan culture. It's not a complete look at Samoan life, but it's a fun comedy with Samoan flare. It leaves you reminiscent for the islands, even though the film takes place in New Zealand.

The original name of this movie is Sione's Wedding, but the name was changed for US release. The basic plot synopsis is that four best friends are banned from Sione's wedding because of all the trouble they cause at any public event they attend. Sione is the brother of Michael, one of the main characters and former best man. The men come to the conclusion that the reason they always misbehave is because they hang out with each other and never bring dates. They make a deal to be allowed at the wedding IF they can find real girlfriends to bring, not just girls stupid enough to say yes to free food and a night out on the town.

Even if you thought "Samoa" was a war-torn country in Africa (it's not), this is a movie that anyone who likes to laugh will enjoy. Of course there are a lot of jokes made even funnier if you if you have ever lived in Samoa or been around Samoans.

Derek: T, sup girl. Sole, malo man.
Albert: Who you calling "sole"?
Derek: Hound dog in the fale.
Albert: Derek start speaking your own language, you come from Glenfield.

4.0 out of 5 stars The male answer to the chick flick with comedy, hip-hop, and brotherhood, June 26, 2007
Audri Oneal (College Park, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
I saw this movie at a film festival and I have to say that it's good to finally see a movie from an ethnic male's point of view. The story is about four guys who are into hip-hop, women, and hanging with the fellas. What makes this movie is this look into Samoan-New Zealand culture and how males in that culture deal with the pressures from mainstream society and their own community on issues of dating, sex, commitment, etc. The only time we get to see something like this is in U.S. movies like "The Wood", "Hanging with the Homeboys", most recently "Better Luck Tomorrow". So I recommend this movie because it's good to see how other folks around the world deal with the same issues and more than anything it's good to see a movie with an all ethnic cast that has a positive message. Plus if you were thinking about a place to travel, you want to go to Auckland after watching this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sione's Wedding, March 19, 2007
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
This movie is hilarious! Well worth seeing... only, I saw this in theaters while in New Zealand. And it could just be nostalgia, but I must say that the US release screwed things up by re-naming it Samoan Wedding.

It rather stereotypes Samoan culture and doesn't represent the movie well at all! Considering Sione's Wedding is more about the antics of 4 Auckland guys who try to get on Sione's guest list... and not Samoan culture. The actors are perfect, as well. They are really funny and have the timing down pat. If you've ever seen BroTown (a cartoon from New Zealand similar to South Park but not as brash) then you'll know what kind of humor I'm talking about.

Overall, great movie! But PLEASE call it Sione's Wedding!!

5.0 out of 5 stars really good, June 24, 2007
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
I got this movie one late night on a whim, expecting it to be little better than a home movie. I was, however, pleasantly suprised. Being African-American, I know a very little about Samoan culture. I did not think that I could relate to anything in the movie. However there seem to be a lot of similarities between Samoan culture and African-American culture, and, dare I say, that it seems that in part Polynesians are heavily influenced by movies, music, dress, and dance from black Americans.

The story is simple, but enjoyable. Robbie Magasiva is very, very cute! I don't think that I have ever seen a movie with him in it, or any other Samoan (Wait, is the Rock Samoan?). There are also some jokes that I did not understand ( I guess that you have to be from New Zealand to get those). Anyway, you won't be sorry that you got this movie, even if you do not understand the jokes and did I mention that Robbie Magasiva is very, very cute.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny stuff, June 2, 2010
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
I am from NZ but live in the US. I had been wanting to see this movie for a couple of years and finally my hubby surprised me by buying it from my wish list. So I watched it, and though I think the story and acting, and in fact the movie overall are somewhat lacking, I loved it! I literally laughed out loud through the whole thing. Coming from NZ and having a lot to do with the Polynesian community, I found it to be hilarious. I think if I wasn't 'in' on the jokes, it would only be mildly funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminds Me, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
Samoan Wedding for this North American female created an interesting contrast to Once Were Warriors. Both movies provided a much-needed slice-of-life look at New Zealand culture as lived by those descended from natives of the island. Like Rabbit-Proof Fence does for Australia, these two movies alert the rest of the world that there's more Down Under than Guy Pierce, Nicole Kidman, and Russel Crowe.

Once Were Warriors is a heavy-hitting drama whereas Samoan Wedding is romantic comedy.

Important to the film is a careful mixture of personalities, family dynamics, and maturity levels to guard against stereotype.

Surprising is the close similarities between Samoan culture and African American culture. Those who've seen and enjoyed The Brothers (2001), The Best Man (1999), and The Wood (1999) will enjoy Samoan Wedding.

5.0 out of 5 stars unny movie, April 22, 2014
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
Since I was introduced to this movie about 3 years ago I've watched it over 10 times. Each time I pick up more settle humor and enjoy it whenever I get to share it with some one who hasn't seen it before. Good movie, no Hollywood over hyped stars. Just a solid cast and crew that seemed to make an enjoyable movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
i had seen this once at my sisters on her netflix, had to purchase. glad i did. my family loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this movie., February 6, 2014
This review is from: Samoan Wedding (DVD)
First saw this movie for a class I was taking. I could not stop laughing but you have to watch it twice to get all the jokes in the movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Samoan Wedding
Samoan Wedding by Chris Graham (DVD - 2007)
$13.97 $7.30