Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sams Teach Yourself GIMP in 24 Hours
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on August 20, 1999
While this was not what I was hoping for, it is an excellent introduction to the GIMP. Basic concepts are covered in some detail, and more advanced topics are commented on (mostly, it seems, to give an idea of just how powerful this program really is). The author also frequently advises experimentation, which is really the only way to learn a program like this.
Especially useful (to me, anyway) was the admittedly brief coverage on how the GIMP differs from other equivalent programs, especially those from the Mac and Windows worlds.
If you want in-depth coverage of the GIMP's capabilities, this book isn't it. If you're just starting out with the GIMP, and enjoy tinkering with the available tools, check it out.
In fact, the only real flaw in this book is that it is written for release 1.0.0 of the GIMP; fortunately, most of the specific examples given can easily be adapted to current releases (I use the 1.1.8 developer's release and had no problems following the examples in the book).
on December 6, 1999
I indeed taught myself Gimp in less than 24 hours using this book -- I had to quickly create a digital drawing as a school assignment, and there just wasn't any time to digest the cryptic official online Gimp manual.
The photos from the book's cd-rom were also very helpful, since I didn't have any scanned photos to practise certain Gimp functions with.
Best of all, the book has made a Gimp fan out of me!
on July 8, 1999
Great place to start if you're new to Gimp. Not only explains how to use all of the menus and commands, but explains some computer graphics concepts as well, such as color palettes. Taking time to go through most of the tutorials helped a lot. A user- friendly book with lots of illustrations, nice layout, and clear, informal writing. The organization of the book will make it useful in the future as a reference. I highly recommended it to anyone who wants to learn the Gimp.
on May 30, 2014
This book is out of date, and it is constantly talking about a cd that you do not receive when you purchase it as an e-book. Without the cd it is hard to do the examples. GIMP is basically a Linux based OS, and has been updated to the point that this book is detrimental to someone just starting out with Linux.
Now with that said, I did pick up several small things about GIMP that I found useful.
on September 19, 2012
"Teach yourself...." anything should start at the very beginning. This book started somewhere after the beginning.
I was looking for #1, then #2 etc.
Lot's n' Lot's to say about GIMP. But I didn't find the starting point of GIMP.
Sadly, I've purchased Sam's Photo Facts and other books in the past. But this book does not remind me of the past books from Sam's.
on April 2, 1999
I am still fairly new to Linux and brand new to the GIMP, but this book helped me tremendously. I used to jump back to my Windows box and Paint Shop Pro whenever I needed to do any image editing, but this book got me going with the GIMP quickly and painlessly.
STY GIMP has great examples and is an easy read. I can now do everything in the GIMP that I used to do in Paint Shop Pro, and I've even learned more. Now by Windows box is just a game machine!
on June 17, 2010
The product was recommended by the state department of public instruction in NC for teaching image editing. The book is fine, but it is not compatible with current versions of GIMP software.
on January 27, 2014
This was not what I needed. Does not apply to what I am doing or need to learn. Not the same format. It's a waste of my time and money.
on December 4, 2012
Very informative book on the Gimp system. Provides a lot of information that I was unaware of and features that I wasn't familar with.
on May 13, 2015
This book is outdated from the newer version of Gimp 2.8. Can still use some of the applications but is confusing for beginners.