I recently found a need to do a little PHP programming on a website. When I went looking for books what I found were any number of two to six hundred page texts. Then I found this little gem. It fitted my purposes perfectly as it explained the basics of PHP with examples for things I was trying to accomplish.

I will say that I that the treatment of classes...
Published on November 3, 2006 by Phillip Nunemacher

3.0 out of 5 stars Search for another Book
I'm still trying to learn PHP after going through this book. I have HTML, XHTML, actionscript, and CSS experience. It teaches interesting points about the language, but it's difficult to put the language into use with this book.
Published on August 1, 2006 by H. Poton

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point for those unfamiliar with the language., November 3, 2006
Phillip Nunemacher (Carson City, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)

I will say that I that the treatment of classes was too brief and was the major reason that I didn't give five stars. The important things is that it provided a basis for me to experiment with the examples, accomplish what I needed to do, and allowed me to gain enough knowledge in a few short evenings that I'll be able to get another book on the subject without being totally lost from the first page. That is all I can ask from a cheap book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!!, March 27, 2008
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I started with a good computer background but limited coding experience and no knowledge of PHP. I got this book. I looked at it for an hour. I started writing a php test site. I worked my way through the rest of the book in four hours. I worked on the site for the next two days. I got the Sam's PHP in 24 hours book. At the end of a week I had my own online photo management / backup / sharing application up and running.

For high yield learning I've never seen anything that can rival this book. It both told me how to do what I wanted, why to do it that way, and what not to do. Simply, this book is a wonderful starting point for someone who is tech savvy and wants to learn by doing.

Advice:
Buy it so it arrives on a Friday before a free weekend, you are going to kill the weekend. Go on and buy the Sam's teach yourself PHP in 24 hours now and save yourself the frustration of waiting for it to ship.

About Sam's
I was so happy with this Sam's book that I got PHP in 24 hours and the MySQL in 10 mins books to help with the same project. MySQL in 10 mins is also a great book. I didn't find it as good as PHP in 10 mins, but it's hard to say if that is a difference in the books of a difference in the two topics. (PHP in 24 is great, as I said earlier.)

Unfortunately those are really my only success stories with Sam's. I got both JavaScript in 24hrs and Ajax in 10 mins from Sam's and neither lived up to the PHP books. They were both much more of a cookbook feeling and less of an introduction to a topic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Search for another Book, August 1, 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars almost a complete time waster, April 26, 2009
Do not buy this book!

There are many coding errors, and incomplete examples. This particular book reads like the author just needed the money and slapped it together.

Don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource, April 6, 2013
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
This book cuts to the chase and teaches you what you want to know. You can go from these lessons to deeper study with a firm base of information and ability.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very deep, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
Did not expect a 10 minute book to go very deep into the subject mater. For light coverage and to determine if you want to learn more this is a low cost way to decide.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
good boo,k asdf asdf adsf asdfasfads asdf sda asf asdfsad fsda fsad sad f asf sda sadfsdfasff as dsa asf

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning in today's pace, January 19, 2013
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I only have 10 minutes spots when I can catch up with my learning. This fits the bill greatly and keeps me learning!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for cutting you PHP coding teeth, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
This an OK primer for those in a hurry to get into PHP, it is possible to create some useful albeit very basic code for web pages after working through it but you really need a more extensive text, along with referral to the excellent documentation at the official PHP site, if you wish to get into industrial strength PHP programming.

Also, each lesson will take a lot longer than 10 minutes to read, digest and actually try out the code (and correct the mistakes, which is actually useful to the learning process), more so as you progress further through the book.

The content of Lesson 8 - Regular Expressions, is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0, which settled on Perl-compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE), supported since PHP 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars PHP book, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
This book was very helpful as a reference to assist in my studies and learning PHP. Thank you for your prompt and excellent service.

Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes
Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes by Chris Newman (Paperback - April 8, 2005)
$24.99 $23.73