Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on May 7, 2013
I got tired of lugging around a briefcase AND a carry-on bag for my clothes--so I did a lot of research looking for a bag that had the durability, thoughtful design, and value that I wanted. This bag fits the bill for all those things--and allows me to bring everything I need for a one or two night business trip with just one bag.

Pros:

1) This bag fits under most airline seats. Yes, I know that we would rather not put a bag under the seat in front of us because we lose the leg-room, but if you need the bag near you--it's really nice that it fits under the seat. In fact, this bag fits so perfectly it looks like the engineers did their homework and actually measured that little space under the seat to ensure that it fits. Many other bags like this are a few inches to wide to fit.

2) Thoughtful sections and pockets. This bag has a section for clothes that includes compression straps to keep them compact. It's enough space for a pair of pants and an extra shirt or two--and your 1 quart bag of toiletries. It also has a padded laptop section (with velcro security strap to hold your laptop in place) with 3 large pockets for things like a GPS, sunglasses, portable hard drive, etc. The next section is a file section with one divider in the middle. Then there is a large zippered pocket for gadgets, cables, pens, business cards, etc. Lastly, there is one smaller pocket for boarding passes, papers, etc.

2) Great build quality. I've had a Samsonite briefcase that is very similar to this bag for years. I can vouch for Samsonite's quality. Their zippers are heavy duty and last--even after daily use for years. The material used in these bags is a tough Cordura-like material that stands up to daily abuse. Samsonite has also reinforced this bag in all the right places. Though this bag is relatively new to me, I expect that it will demonstrate the same durability as my other Samsonite bag.

3) Thoughtful Design. The bag has one pair of quality in-line skate wheels that, when paired with the telescoping pull handle make a biomechanically perfect way to roll the bag--with very little effort. I'm sure you've seen the bags that have 4 casters on the bottom. In my opinion those bags are more of a trend than anything. With 4 casters those bags can roll in any direction--which really isn't always desirable--and when you tip them so you can walk fast, you've got the other two casters hanging in the air. This Samsonite bag has the more sensible design of only two in-line skate wheels which is frankly, a more practical and usable design. When standing upright, the bag also has a long "foot" that keeps it standing perfectly upright with no worry that the bag is going to fall over. There are also plenty of hard plastic guards to protect the bag when you bump up a staircase or curb. The telescoping handle also stows away completely under a zippered cover for use as a briefcase.

Cons:

1) Like some other reviewers have mentioned, this bag has two handles for use when picking it up like a briefcase. You simply grab the handles, hold them together and pick it up. While the handles are comfortable and work fine, they also flop over to each side when not in use. There is a certain un-aesthetic quality about that two handled design--along with a certain, slight inconvenience to it. But I give it pass because the bag is such a great value.

2) The bag is not designed to be "checkpoint friendly". A checkpoint friendly bag is a bag that you do not have to remove your laptop from when you're in the security line. Checkpoint friendly bags are typically designed to open like a clamshell to allow an easy x-ray scan during the security check. Bags that are not designed that way (like this one) make it necessary for you to pull out your laptop and place it in a bin. Not a huge deal--because it's really quite easy to to that...but it's one one less convenience during the security process.

When you combine the design and quality with the price, this bag is an excellent value.

Let me know if this review has helpful in making your decision :)
66 comments|279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2012
Can't give any less than 5 stars. This rolling bag is fantastic. Has plenty of space and different compartments/pockets, etc, for all you business essentials.
The back compartment can hold all my files, although I know it is intended for a set of overnight clothes, I have plenty of files to carry around, and this one fits them perfectly, and neatly.
I can pull out my laptop very fast and put it back in.
The wheels are very smooth.
If you are looking for the best laptop carryng rolling case, for the price, you found it. There's a reason why more times than not it is "Out of Stock"
33 comments|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2011
I love this bag. Initially it's somewhat daunting as it's consiserably larger than your usual laptop bag but it pulls well, is well balanced and has lots of great space. The bag folds into itself if you don't use the 'overnight' section so it's not so bulky. I do a lot of airplane travel and it just about fits under the seat in front.

Given the relief on my shoulders/hands this is a great buy. I don't regret and would buy again.
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
It's hard to find the perfect overnighter. This one is very close in my book. I researched a lot and actually bought two, returning the one I didn't like as much which was the Case Logic ZLRS-117. The Case Logic had a much better organized front pocket, with lots of tight mesh pockets - this samsonite has the typical 25-year-old design with pockets that are not real useful and pretty much 90% of your stuff just ends up getting jumbled at the bottom. Other than that, I like this one better - easy to slide my laptop in/out at security; plenty of room for one night's change of clothes, liquids bag, and small dop kit (no room for shoes); and it fits under most airplane seats, although not regional jets.

It works for me. I might sew in some mesh pockets in the outside compartment to make it more useful for my cables, mice, plugs, and stuff.
on April 24, 2013
I bought this case to use at school. I currently have 10 books that I have to carry around with me, plus multiple notebooks and a laptop, and my backpack was just not cutting it, and either was leaving my books in my truck so I could pick up just what I needed for each class. I purchased this case, and no longer have the back problems from before from the weight of the books. The wheels are smooth and make no noise. The multiple compartments make it easy to organize everything that I need throughout the day. The back compartment is perfect to throw in 6 or 7 books at a time so I don't have to leave them all at home when I could be studying at school. I love it, and can see myself using it for many years to come once I'm out of school and in the workplace.
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
This piece of luggage is perfect for my needs. The quality is good and the price is reasonable. I have a 15.5" laptop which fits in the padded compartment easily. Even though it is rated for a 15.5", a 17" laptop would fit in the compartment. It has several compartments for a mouse, cables, etc. The front compartment has pockets that hold my Kindle and smartphone along with several other odds and ends. The file area is good for standard sized documents or travel confirmations. The back compartment has plenty of room for a small Dopp kit and clothes for a short overnight trip. Probably not a second pair of shoes though. For longer trips I use it in combination with a full size carry on bag and the two of them provide plenty of room for a full week trip. No need to check anything. The handle is long enough to be comfortable for a 6' tall person to tow. Overall, I would recommend it.
on September 13, 2015
This briefcase is perfect! I am just starting college and didn't want to have a heavy backpack on my back and cause back pain than it is already in. So I was very hesitant to purchase this bag but i took chances. So about last week, I ordered it on a Thursday and my expected date was on Sunday around 8 p.m. later, on Sunday morning around 8 a.m. my bag arrived and was on my door step because I did not wake up to the knock. Thank god nobody took it. I can say so far this is the BEST $88 dollars I have ever spent! It's useful; especially for my 15.6 ASUS laptop, 9 books, mini first aid kit. It also has mini pocket to fit your bobby pins, hair ties, packages wipes etc. If you're a female. It rolls great as well. So, for everyone in college make sure you're really prepared! I highly recommend this! Goodluck!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on November 2, 2013
I was looking for a rolling laptop bag that would fit under the seat but this item looks to be too deep. The bag is 10 inches deep (contrary to one of the dimensions in the item description). I think it would be difficult to fit under the seat especially if you are sitting in the back of coach class in some airlines. Other than that, I think the bag has a lot of good features and would actually work well as a primary carry on bag. I could see myself using this for a two day cross country trip (red eye out, one overnight and return the next evening) with laptop and suit. If I was only going with a tablet, I could probably do a three day trip with just this bag. Unfortunately, my primary motivation for a wheeled bag was to be able to store it under the seat and this bag would be too hard to wedge between the seats of some airlines to get underneath. It might even be a challenge getting it into the overhead bin of some of the regional jets. I ended up returning this bag and ordered a slimmer one.
on April 11, 2013
The rubber wheels are quiet. The front interior has wonderful storage pockets for a cellphone, multiple pens, a portable hard drive, and a travel mouse. The second compartment has 3 brick size insulated pockets and a strap-stabilized laptop pocket that fits my 15.4" laptop with room to spare. The best part about this bag is the room at the back for a pair of shoes and a brace similar to a garment bag for taking workout clothes to work. At the price, it is an outstanding deal. I especially appreciate the length of the handle fully extended. It makes for easy walking.
on June 4, 2015
I live my life out of this bag. As an on-the-go IT guy, I have to often carry more than 1 laptop, various PC and networking tools, a tablet, and various cords. On top of it all, I'm a disabled vet with severe medical problems, so this bag serves duty as a rolling pharmacy with all my medications. It's stood by my side faithfully these two years now, filled to the brim at all times....and yesterday, my car died. So I bought a new one. On the way to go pick it up, the only vehicle available was my daughter's itty-bitty S-10 truck she just inherited from her grandmother. She can't drive the S10 yet, it's a stick. I put my bag in the back, which is covered with a tonneau cover. When I arrived at my destination, we discovered first hand and for the first time that the tailgate has a latching problem. No bag. That's not good. It turns out that I was having a run of bad luck.

We spent the day retracing the route, filing police reports (who laughed at the idea of getting my bag back), trekking to the VA to refill prescriptions, and grumbling about how I would have to replace the computer equipment (some of which was company owned, sigh). But alas, my lack of faith in humanity was misplaced. By late afternoon, a local police sergeant called. My bag was found, 100% intact with everything inside.

Most importantly to you, considerate buyer, is this: The bag survived with only a few scuffs after being tossed out the back of a truck at 55 mph. The laptop inside? I'm writing a review on it right now. The laptop was perfectly fine. I'd happily buy another one of these bags.