4.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite Oyster lasted 17 yrs!
Published on July 12, 2009 by Marie in L.A.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't lock it
You can't lock it with a TSA approved lock. So you have to either leave it unlocked or put a cable around it & lock the cable.

The clips on the sides also have a tendency to pop open.

One more thing, the empty suitcase is quite heavy.
Published on September 20, 2008 by Aydin Orstan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite Oyster lasted 17 yrs!, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)
After 17 yrs of extensive travel (trains, planes, cruises)and abuse (I actually lent this suitcase to my parents and my sister whenever they traveled), the wheel finally got snapped off of my Oyster. After a cruise, we picked it up missing 1 wheel - with the tight corners of the ship halls and the fact that it probably weighed >70 lbs at the time, I can't blame the cruise ship.

I thought this suitcase was great for packing breakables; wine bottles merely surrounded by clothes never broke. I had no problem pulling this suitcase and we really would overload it. Because of its size, we really didn't need a lot of other luggage to deal with though. You wouldn't see me pulling this and handling more than a shoulderstrap piece of luggage. I have gone through a million cheap and expensive soft luggage - the telescoping handles always eventually break/get stuck, they rip and the zippers break. This suitcase really lasted! Geeezzzzzzz, I still can't believe it has been > 17 yrs.

Now I'm looking for a new hard suitcase and I'm considering something different but if there is one thing I can recommend and that I will stick with is the POLYPROPYLENE hardcase. I don't care what brand it is, that plastic is really tough. When the family travels, we can have multiple soft suitcases but we need 1 hardside suitcase to hold breakables. I've looked at the ABS, Polycarbs etc and they all give - the polypropylene does not give - I could sit on it! Unless you are getting into the aluminum, want to pay a thousand bucks, those other hardcase materials just seem flimsy to me. I would never chance a wine bottle in any of them.

I don't know why I didn't rate this a 5 star, other than that I'm not sure if the oysters selling today are as good as the ones made 17 yrs ago, it doesn't have TSA lock and I'm too lazy to go back and figure out how to change the rating to at least 4 1/2 stars.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same Colorful, Durable Case but With Key Features Missing, April 10, 2007
I've used an earlier version of this suitcase for 10 years. It's gone with me to Europe twice, to Mexico five times, and to South America, China, and most major cities in the US. I have loved that suitcase. I like it's hard shell, its sturdy structure, and its bright color (easily recognized at airport baggage claims). But after a decade of abuse, it finally developed a little crack in the side. I patched it up with duct tape and used it on several more trips, but I thought I'd buy a replacement just in case (no pun intended).

The replacement is almost the exact same suitcase. But almost isn't good enough. It lacks two vital features of the old version. First, the doesn't have locking tabs on the side latches, but rather key locks. Why would anyone design a suitcase with one combination lock and two key locks? The locks aren't even TSA compatible. Second, the new case doesn't have a separate compartment, with divider, for hanging apparel (like a suit). Why would Sampsonite choose to omit this important feature?

I still expect the new suitcase will be durable. I know it will be colorfully easy to recognize at the airport, but I really wish Samponite had stuck with the original design.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't lock it, September 20, 2008
Aydin Orstan (Germantown, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)

The clips on the sides also have a tendency to pop open.

One more thing, the empty suitcase is quite heavy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, June 8, 2008
Out of the box - my first reaction was flimsy. Bu then took to Chicago and dragged it many, many blocks. Then took to Ireland - not so much ddragging but thanks to United this piece of luggage got to visit Chicago for a couple of days before United located it and sent it back to Reagan. So... it feels light and flimsy and the latches don't inspire confidence. But... it is roomy, light, and has taken plenty of abuse without breaking. Using a pullman after years of wide two wheeled luggage took a little getting used to - but it was suprisingly easy to pull, tracked straight and didn't wobble as much as I expected as I dragged it around (expected it to be very unstable because of the narrow wheel base). So I am very happy. Also got it shipped o/n via Prime as I had an unexpected trip and my other luggage was in a different state! I will continue to use this piece.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Once Great Oyster Now a Shell of Its Former Self, August 28, 2010
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)
I purchase a new Oyster to replace the Oyster I bought ten years ago. What a disappointment: take it froma road warrior--this was once a great suitcase; no more. I just bought a new one: it does not have the suit hanger inside. The once best suit case on the market: kept your clothes dry at Philly when it rained for hours with your bag sitting on the tarmac; no ironing at your destination; easy to handle; super durable. Now, the suit hanger is gone, the new Oysters do not have a suit hanger so one half of the suit case is useless--empty space. I am sending mine back: Warning: if you are buying a new Oyster thinking that you are going to get that great great suitcase of old--you aren't. Don't bother. It's sad really. So so sad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite quality down, September 27, 2009
I was disappointed with this product. First, there was no notification that the divider for suits that was a normal feature until now has been dropped so the buyer does not reaize that he is buying something different. Second, one of the side locks is defective -- it does not snap closed and requires the key lock to securely lock it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good value, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)
I used to have a couple of Oysters years ago, when I travelled a lot between the US and Europe, and I really loved them. But it's been a while. For a recent European trip, I decided to purchase two more (one for each of us). I had some misgivings, having read here that they were not as good as the old model. And I agree, Samsonite has cut some corners compared to the old Oyster. There's no lining, there's no panel to hold the contents in the lid section, and if I remember correctly, the old Oyster could open completely so the two halves both lay flat on the floor - this model will not do that (I may be remembering incorrectly).

Anyway, for under $100, I figured I'd risk it - I could always return them if they were no good. I went ahead and bought two of the 29" models. I have to say I'm very pleased. Contrary to what someone else wrote here, the suitcase is not particularly heavy when empty - actually, I think it's remarkably light. It's sturdy and very easy to maneuver, even when full, and even over the cobbled streets of Florence and Rome. And it holds a lot. The cases stood up well to a two-week trip the England and Italy which involved 4 flights and 2 train journeys. I got the black/gray version... there are some scuffs, but that's to be expected, and nothing major.

As one person pointed out, the main lock is a combination and it's not TSA approved. That's only an issue on flights leaving or entering the USA, not a problem in Europe. I bought a luggage strap with a TSA-approved lock (Victorinox) and put that round the case, leaving the case's own combination lock in the open setting. After at least one of the flights I found the little note inside the case saying the TSA had inspected the contents, so clearly this worked fine.

I'd recommend this suitcase. The only reason i don't give it 5 stars is because as I say I think Samsonite has cut a few corners compared to the old Oyster. But it still does a great job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, but not ergonomic, March 26, 2010
Jason A. Ball (Brandon, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)
This thing is super tough, holds a lot of stuff, and I like the 3-sided locking method.

However, the handle and wheel arrangement are not conducive to dragging this thing long distances when it's fully loaded. Because of the layout, you end up lifting and holding the weight of the loaded suitcase while you're wheeling it. Not fun. And if you're tall, you're double hosed. If I stand straight up and try to wheel it, it flips up on its end. Lame.

I'm fairly happy with it, but I'm currently looking for something easier to drag around. Maybe I'm just getting old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite Oyster 29'' Cartwheels, January 9, 2007
Very good buy for the money. Before buying this suitcase i already had one for the past 6 years. Very much satisfied with it and decided to buy again. Quiet light for the size and very rugged. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indistructable, July 28, 2010
This review is from: Samsonite Oyster 29" Cartwheel (Apparel)
I too, am the owner of two 20 year old Oysters. They have been transatlantic over 12 times and also travelled on numerous cruises. Finally, one of the handles must have been caught in a baggage carousel and is distorted. Not only are they hardwearing, they are waterproof. They have survived 500 miles through France and Spain on the roof of a car during consistant torrental rain on the freeway at 70+mph. When opened everything was dry. I can think of no other suitcase that could withstand that.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›