5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Backpack!
Perfect backpack for college. I am loving the dedicated laptop compartment. The black looks stylish and understated.

It can fit:
Laptop- upto 15 inches comfortably.
Ipad
Laptop charger
2 textbooks
2 binders and 2 notebooks
Water bottle
stationery and cellphone in the front pocket.
Published on August 15, 2011 by Goutam Sampathkumar

3.0 out of 5 stars Medium vs Large, go for large
Published 7 months ago by lerick

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Backpack!, August 15, 2011

It can fit:
Laptop- upto 15 inches comfortably.
Ipad
Laptop charger
2 textbooks
2 binders and 2 notebooks
Water bottle
stationery and cellphone in the front pocket.

3.0 out of 5 stars Medium vs Large, go for large, May 20, 2014
lerick (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
There are two versions of this Tectonic backpack, medium and large(Samsonite Tectonic Large Backpack). I couldn't decide(medium is cheaper and I prefer a smaller bag) so I bought both but ended up returning this medium one. While the name looks alike these two are completely different backpacks. Both sizes are OK large is slightly bigger but not much, however the large one has much better design. One thing I don't like the medium is the laptop compartment, instead of a usual sleeve design in large and other backpacks, its more like a small hard box inside and space is wasted regardless laptop size or no laptop at all, and as a result, the main compartment is much smaller and less usable than the large. Also large has more and better organized front pockets.

4.0 out of 5 stars works for me!, January 14, 2012
Loy "Born to read" (Benbrook, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsonite Tectonic Medium Backpack (Accessory)
My backpack finally bit the dust and I needed another one-- I hate change and I hate looking for the perfect backpack
This one is not perfect but very close -- I have been using it for about a week and it is working out just fine
It keeps my little netbook safe and my precious kindle too. There are places and zippers to keep all my stuff where I can find it quick.
It is not too big. I thought I might need the big backpack but knew - since I am not a large person - it might be too big. The size it just right--if anything I think another small pocket on the outside - for my phone would be great. There is just one and it is a tight fit for an iphone. Of course there are a lot of places and holders inside the pack.
I love the water bottle holder - many bags have done away with this and this was a deal breaker. This one has two. I put water in one side and the other will fit a small umbrella if you are so inclined.
For the price and free shipping it is a great deal and a nice back pack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good amount of storage space, Already has a tear in it, May 2, 2013
I purchased this item about 6 months ago and really liked it. It has ample storage space for my laptop, tablet, kindle, and all of the associated plugs, wires, and cables that are needed. It feels solid when you grab it and wear it and it protects the items inside very well due to a good amount of padding/cushioning. The only problem I have with it is that after about 4 months the seam inside the bag that separates the laptop compartment from the large accessories compartment has frayed and is coming apart. It wasn't ripped, the fabric just seems to have loosened and come undone from the single stitch that was holding it. I don't know if I stressed the bag at the wrong spot or what, but it doesn't seem like it is structurally sound at this point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Overall...! But few issues., December 9, 2011
Great bag. Just got it brand new. Got it delivered second day. Price was very reasonable for the backpack. Perfectly fits 15.6" laptop (Dell Studio 1555). The tag also says it fits laptops upto 15.6". Comes with a 3 Year limited term global warranty. Is overall nice built. Compact. Not too large. But spacious and lots of compartments, including bottle holder. Great backpack for regular use. Although I am not sure yet whether it is waterproof or not, because I couldn't find anywhere written so. And haven't used it in rain or snow yet.

Bag dimensions: 17.5" x 12.5" x 8"
Laptop Compartment Dimensions: 15" x 10" x 1.75"

However, I was shocked to see written in the label of the product:
"Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm."

What the heck is this? Why would someone use such chemicals. :( Need to write to Samsonite regarding this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better looking, some small design flaws, December 2, 2012
Downshifter (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Better looking than in the picture (the green is not that powerful in reality).
Some problems though:
- the velcro is attaching itself to the interior of the laptop compartment each time you introduce the laptop in. Then it is hard to detach and it it wearing the velcro for nothing. Should have a non velcro attachable zone inside there.
- no plastic or leather like fabric on the bottom of the backpack; when you put it down you need to be careful and avoid dirt/wet areas.

Some personal preferences (compared to my former Targus that is not manufactured anymore):
- mobile pocket on one of the straps and not inside (where you cannot see it in time as to decide to answer it or not)
- keychain should be on a side not in the back, as to reach keys without taking backpack off.
More on the perfect laptop backpack, here: it-quirks blogspot com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack, May 21, 2012
I took a look at both the Large and Medium Samsonsite backpack. I first saw it at one of those small and expensive airport stores. I chose the Medium because I have a 14 inch Lenovo laptop. It fits with ease. The backpack straps are very comfortable. All the various layers of zippered pockets along with the pockets within the pockets meet both my business and travel needs. This is a quality product

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but Hazard Warning, December 17, 2011
This backpack is awesome except for the fact that it has the CA proposition 65 toxic chemicals warning. LIke the other reviewer, I may return it if I can find another backpack that does not have that warning. I'd prefer to have a backpack that does not require this warning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsonite Medium Tectonic Backpack, July 8, 2012
Jon S (Jackson, NJ) - See all my reviews
I first tried the large backpack but found it too large for regular use. The medium backpack is light, strong, and the straps are fairly comfortable. My only complaint, and it is one I have also read in other reviews, is that unless you move the zippers to either side of the bag they tend to open up. If you remember to slide them to the left or the right there is no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, January 15, 2013
Very light...Comfortable straps...material seems durable so far..zips are big and easy to handle... The carry handle is big soft and seems strong. Lots of pockets for organization, padded pockets for laptop and tablet if you have booth or great for books organization. Small mesh pockets are lovely... overall great backpack!!!!

Samsonite Tectonic Medium Backpack