Samsonite Colombian Leather Flapover Case, Brown, One Size
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownChange
Price:$89.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 25, 2013
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
I couldn't decide between 2 very similar bags on Amazon, so I ordered both: the Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Show Business ($123.99) and the Samsonite Columbian Leather Flapover Case ($139.99). It took me about 5 seconds to decide that I preferred this one. To me, the $16 difference is negligible. In terms of size and pockets, both are about the same. I prefer the Samsonite for a few reasons:

1) The Samsonite leather was noticeably softer, which I prefer.
2) The Samsonite latches buckle/unbuckle smoothly and effortlessly. One of the latches on the Kenneth Cole felt stiff and required a little effort to release. This may be a design flaw, or I just got a defective Kenneth Cole.
3) The laptop compartment on the Samsonite was about 1/2 inch deeper. This allowed more of my 15inch MacBook to sit in the compartment.

I'd still give the Kenneth Cole high marks; however, the Samsonite is better for me.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 15, 2013
Verified Purchase
Received it within two days of ordering. Very good job Amazon.

The bag is a dark leather. Which is what I like. Very roomy on the inside. Will travel with it this week and will update this review upon my return. However, at first sight, I like the construction. The handle at the top looks well made. All the compartments are padded. That's a plus. The leather feels nice and I think will age very nicely.

There's an outside sleeve pocket in the back. You open the flap and there's the front pocket. There are two zipper slots. The front is large with laptop sleeve and three pockets in another compartment. Then the back compartment looks like you can keep a slim (my Macbook Air) laptop in that instead of the main compartment.

I like the bag so far. And for $86, it is a good buy. Samsonite also being a company I trust.

8/22/13 Update: I took it on a business trip. It has a lot of room for what I need. I did use the back zippered compartment for my MacBook Air. Put folders and books in the main zippered compartment.

The leather is very nice. Stitching is holding up very well. It's a great item and at a great price. Highly recommended.

12/16/13 Update: The messenger bag is aging nicely. Walked around Seoul in the rain with it and the leather held up well when it dried out. It still retained its soft and supple feeling. No issues with the zippers. No issues with the stitching or handle.

7/22/14 Update: The bag is holding up quite well. No damage to the leather after use. Zippers and straps are in good shape. I still recommend the item.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2014
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
I'll be honest, and i'm shamed to admit it, but I spent days looking for a decent laptop/work bag that met the style/value/functionality paradigm I needed. I knew i'd be using the bag both in and outside of work so I didn't want something that looked polished and crisp, but I also didn't want something made of nylon with plastic clips and velcro. I feel that this Samsonite bag fits the bill for everything I wanted. The leather has a very soft touch, deep brown color. There is plenty of room on the inside to carry 2 or 3 books along with a laptop and some cables. There are two zippered compartments which I like so that when the flap is open, people can't see everything your lugging around. The hardware is heavy duty antiqued brass and has a solid feel. The strap seems fine, but I'll be looking at replacing the pad since it doesn't offer much padding, especially when you have the bag loaded up. If you're looking for a professional looking bag which looks good with a suit or a pair of jeans, buy this.
review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2013
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
After lots and LOTS of searching, and narrowing it down to this one and the Kenneth Cole Reaction Luggage Show business (as many others did, they both seem to be great briefcases).
I ultimately decided to go with this one because it seemed to be a little bit sturdier/thicker material than the Kenneth Cole bag. My biggest worry about this bag is that it would look too shiny for me, as I wanted a bag that would look more business casual. IMO, the picture doesn't do the bag justice. It looks too shiny in the picture and it really has a nice soft, worn look to it. I took it on a 2-week business trip right after I got it and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I was actually able to fit 2 laptops (13" and 15"), 2 chargers, a mouse, and 2 notebooks inside of the bag. This was just for getting from point A to point B, a work and personal laptop, but that just speaks to how much room there is in it.
Some reviewers worried about/did not like that the handle comes through a hole in the flap, but I really like this feature because it feels VERY sturdy and supported when carrying it this way, plus it doesn't put tension on the clasps.
Overall very satisfied with this bag and was also very happy to get it for about $40 less ($83) than the Kenneth Cole bag ($124).
on December 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
I had been toting around a regular laptop bag for awhile and decided I needed more space so I bought a "bag of holding" from thinkgeek which was great but honestly, looked kind of silly to be toting around in a Medical facility. I needed to look the part of the young professional.

The problem is, I never spent this much on a bag before- so I didn't really know what to look for. After thinking it over for a few days I decided this was the bag. Ordered- got it a few days later and was immediately impressed.

First off- the color you see here isn't correct. It's almost a dark brown- which personally, I love way more than the color here on the site. The buckles and clips are all very sturdy and the leather after 4 months of constant use is still holding up and so is the strap and the handle. So structurally, the bag is very well put together. I have no doubt this thing will last me awhile.

The main part of the bag has a slightly padded wall for the laptop (can comfortably fit a 15 inch- I tried fitting a 17" MacBook and Samsung in there - and while they do go in - it is a very TIGHT fit and the zipper won't shut all the way- so if you have anything above a 15.3 inch laptop I would find something else.)

There are three pockets in that same compartment- I use one for my 3DS XL- one for my PS Vita and the other for an External Hard drive and the power prick for my MacBook Air. I HIGHLY recommend getting a cable management system like the Cocoon GRID-IT! Organizer Case, Black (CPG7BK) because it will keep the wires from tangling and making the bag bulge. and it fits perfectly within the main center pocket.

This bag has that traditional look, functional, and made of high quality materials that means it will hold up in the long run.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 9, 2013
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
This is really a great product. I travel every week for business so I need a good, durable product.

My use: I am a consultant who travels every week across the country. My laptop is my life and must have it on me at all times. I fly to my home office most weekends, but sometimes I am on the road between cities for 5 weeks before I make it back home.

Looks: Keeps very well. I have been using this product for a couple of months now. It was inevitable that it would get beat up a little bit, but you can barely tell. It does not scratch easily. It does not deteriorate easily.

Quality: For the first couple of months I was carrying a very heavy laptop. I also keep the cord, a mouse, my glasses, a stack of folders, a kindle, and headphones (earbuds or heavy larger ones). The buckles on the strap have seemed to hold up very well. With that said, i would still not overload the weight. Too much weight and they will inevitably break. Zippers have held up really well as well.

Cons: The only issue I have is there is no easy way to attach this to my carry-on when I am in the airport. Even if you bought a clip or had a clip on your suitcase I would still refrain from attaching it.

Overall Recommendation: Yes, I would recommend. Samsonite has done well with this product.

However, if you tend to pack a lot in your laptop case (books, camera, overnight clothes, shoes, etc) or you carry really heavy weight in your laptop case, I would probably search for something like a backpack as opposed to this case.

Hopes this help.
on October 29, 2012
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
I was looking for a nice leather messenger bag to replace my very well worn 10+ yr old samsonite leather messenger -- I chose wisely. I have only had for 2 weeks, so can't comment on the durability, but thinking it will last quite a while. It is big enough for my laptop, the power cord, several folders, a wireless mouse, and other supplies -- and doesn't feel overstuffed. It looks great and while I hesitated because of the "handle through the hole in the flap", this is actually a feature that I like quite a bit. The handle feels more sturdy connected to the bag itself, rather than just the flap as many bags do. I highly recommend this messenger bag.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 23, 2013
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
Great bag, except the amount of time it takes to get things out of it. It has two buckles that need to be pressed and then the top needs to be flipped over. If you don't access your contents often, it's a perfect bag. But, if you want easy access to your contents, then I recommend getting something else
on February 23, 2014
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
I have owned the Samsonite Colombian Leather Flapover Case for 8 months now, and it started falling apart after about 6 months of regular use (bringing to work 5 days a week as well as some traveling).

Positives: It looks good and holds a good amount of items.

Negatives: Metal locking/clipping mechanisms are very poor quality. All have failed/broken at this point. Also, some of the stiching is coming apart on the sides that hold the rings for the strap.

After 8 months, the bag is not even usable. The locks on the front have both broken off, so the bag can no longer securely close, or close in general. Also, I have had to ducktape close the two clips that hold the carrying strap because they open up on their own resulting in the bag falling to the ground.

I thought I would be getting a quality bag that would last at least a couple years for the price, but it did not even last 1. Very disappointed and would not recommend to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2013
Size Name: One SizeColor Name: BrownVerified Purchase
As a consultant I'm always on the look out for a professional type bag to carry. I had been carrying an Indiana Jones type satchel for years, and started to feel like it lacked a little in the professional department when I found this one. Great form, everything fits, you can carry with the handle or the strap. Great product.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...