Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsonite Leather Expandable Briefcase (Black)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 17"|Color: Black|Change

on November 28, 2013
I was so disappointed when this bag fell apart after one year of use. I buy all my gifts on amazon, and read all reviews to make my decisions. This is the first thing I have purchased here that has not held up to my standards. I spent around $150 dollars for this bag, because it had a lot of space, it was very professional looking without appearing "dorky" or "bulky". I loved it and was so excited to give it as a gift when I received it because the material was great, it had many different compartments and fit the lap top PERFECTLY. One of the reasons I chose this particular bag besides it looking sleek and professional while still having the capability of storing many things, was because it appeared it would withstand heavy use, and carry a lot of different things: computer, papers, files, etc etc. Well, about a year after I purchased it, the leather completely ripped from the metal hook ring to the actual brief case itself. There is no way to repair this unless I want to put the hook through the actual material, which defeats the purpose of looking professional. If I had thought to review this after I bought it and received it, I would have given it 5 stars, I'm glad I waited until now to give my input. Great for someone who will use less often, do not buy for someone who needs a nice, durable brief case. I know from experience it is very hard to find that perfect one, but my advice would be to spend the bucks in a higher end store and examine the hooks and rings that connect before you purchase. Look at how it is stitched or sewn onto the bag.
review image
0Comment|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I am not happy with the quality of this bag. For the price I paid, and for it being less than three months since I made the purchase, I find the following issues to be unacceptable. The first issue is the shoulder strap clips that attach to loops on the bag stratch the paint. There are now chipped copper rings showing instead of black rings. The second issue is the stichwork is coming undone in several places, including the handles and the side pockets. I feel this is either a non Samsonite product, or Samsonite products are not as good as they make themselves out to be. I do not overload the bag, and I treat it very carefully. Sadly, at this rate, I have another 3-6 months to go on it before I will be using a bag that looks to be 5 years old. I do have to say that the leather is nice, but the quality of craftsmenship is very poor.

I would not recommend purchasing this bag to anyone at this price. I would say it is worth 30$ and that is being generous.
33 comments|190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
I bought this briefcase partly because of the Samsonite name and because of the positive reviews. I was looking for a good briefcase to last me a long time. I also considered McKleinUSA briefcases, but they seemed a bit expensive to me, and fairly heavy too.
Having used this Samsonite now for about two months, I am very disappointed with its durability. More specifically, the edges of the bag, which are part of the stiff 'frame' that helps it keep its shape, are already starting to wear. In fact, in one corner, a chunk has come out of the 'leather' and exposed some kind of white fabric mesh underneath! The 'leather' at that point is only maybe 1/16th of an inch thick. This is very bad design, as these edges and corners are what takes a beating when the bag is bumped into doors, walls and furniture.
If these edges were made of real leather I don't think chunks would come out of them - they just would get scuffed or scratched. Scuffs and scratches can be hidden with polish and really just add to the patina of a fine natural product, whereas fabric mesh stands out and looks cheap no matter what color you make it.
As it is, I am disappointed with the quality of this bag and expect to have to buy a new one in just a few years, when this one is all scratched up. And by the way, I use this as a teacher at a university, so I just transport it in my car and walk with it between buildings. No airline travel, on-site sales work, or any other use which would really require the bag to be sturdy.
Had I known the bag was this cheap quality, I would have spent more to get a better one.
22 comments|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2015
Case advertised as leather, but after two month of use corners started to peal of and guess what? It is not a leather.
This is deceiving advertisement. Too bad I did not pay attention and just trusted seller. If I could give zero points , I would!
review image
on August 16, 2012
My first one of these lasted about 6 years and more than a million air miles. This one seems to be made of thinner materials and is already showing damage after a few months. I really miss the little outside pocket that held my passport and boarding pass. First one gets five stars, this version only 3.
on November 10, 2011
+ It has a lot of space.
+ My wife thinks it looks nicer than my old bag.

I looked at quite a few Samsonite bags at the store. I was impressed and thought that I couldn't go wrong buying a product from them. I was expecting to get a nice quality bag at a reasonable price, so I was disappointed when this bag arrived.

- It looks like cheap pleather.
- Poor craftsmanship
- My friend said it looked like a knockoff.
- I need to buy another higher quality bag.
on March 20, 2013
Not too small by any means...Yet not to big either. I guess it would fit the contents of two standard size briefcases inside. Good quality leather. Put together nice. Lots of compartments. Easy access to each compartment. Yup. I like it.
on October 1, 2012
I've read that some reviewers feel this case is cheap or that it seems like fake leather, I disagree. The case is certainly a polished leather however I do not feel as though it feels cheap in any way. Its Samsonite and carries all the quality you'd expect from the brand. I love the amount of space it offers since I am able to fit my computer, books, iPad, and other items in it at the same time. Its definitely not for someone seeking a slim case, but for anyone seeking extra room, you'll love it.
on November 25, 2011
After looking for a briefcase for a couple of weeks, I found this Samsonite Leather briefcase which is perfect for me, you have place for your folders, laptop, pens and pencils and much more, I have been using it for a while and I cannot remember all of the compartments it has, it is very functional. I will recommend it if you like to have your stuff very organized.
on December 11, 2013
I know the tag and online description says real leather but this is not natural leather. It looks like vinyl but could be composite leather. I don't want to find out; its going back. There needs to be full disclosure so that customers can make informed decisions. The bag looks good and is roomy; but the handles are proportionately too small to stand up to a filled bag of heavy books and papers. I already know with wear it will fall apart so I will not even try. I will keep looking at my local discount stores because I have bought ALL LEATHER BAGS there for about the same price; so don't tell me I get what I pay for!