Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsonite Leather Flapover Briefcase (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Size: One Size|Color: Black|Change

on February 19, 2015
I must say. I should have listened to all of the other reviews. Do not buy this bag if you travel or plan to set it down anywhere. Here are some pictures of what happens after a few days.
review image review image
55 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2011
I bought this to replace a Samsonite briefcase that I thought was the an earlier version of this one. This case turns out to be quite a bit bigger than my old one, and more substantial. It seems well put together and the buckles and strap are sturdy. Plenty of room and a padded section for a laptop toward the back. Note the dimensions especially the front-to-back depth-- it's not a "fit under your arm" briefcase but more squared off and doesn't really collapse as you might suspect from the photo. If you're looking for a professional piece at a bargain price that looks like it will last a long time, this is a good choice. There is a large bottomless surface on the back of the case that I believe is to slip an extendable suitcase handle into when you're traveling but I'm not sure and its not explained on the accompanying info card.
66 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2013
Pros:

This bag both look and feels extremely well made, and is perfect for carrying a laptop and some papers. I am an attorney, and it looks good in court.

It also fits fantastically onto the handle of a suitcase with its nicely hidden back-flap, which I do not think is obvious in the pictures..

Cons:

Before buying this I was aware that it was not a huge bag, and was intended for carrying a reasonably light amount of stuff. The main reason I have given four rather than five stars, however, is that it is not great for fitting irregularly shaped stuff (i.e. my leather binder, plus papers, plus laptop all fit in great, but I have difficulties instead fitting my coffee cup). You cannot stuff things into the bag, as, if you can't close the flap, you cant carry it at all, as the clasp has to be fully closed to use the strap.

UPDATE: After using the bag for a couple of weeks, it has definitely relaxed a little which makes a big difference to how much you can fit in. I can now happily fit in my laptop (albeit an ultrabook)and charger, my coffee cup, tuperware lunch box, umbrella and leather documents folder with some room to spare. END OF UPDATE

Also, I am not particularly tall (6ft) but the strap nevertheless felt too short to carry it over my shoulder. I have ended up using the strap from my previous bag.

Conclusion:
If you want to use this as a smart bag for your laptop plus papers, this is a great purchase - and well worth the price. If you want this as a general bag and will have lots of stuff in it, consider getting a bigger/more flexible one. I would probably give this a 4.5 if I could.
on November 28, 2012
I had high hopes for this briefcase as I loved the way it looked at Macy's and was significantly cheaper here on Amazon. Received it on a Saturday and took it to work on Monday. I used it to carry my Macbook Air 15.4" and a few files. Transportation involved putting on floor of car and then under my desk at work, nothing more. By the THIRD day, I noticed leather starting to rub off on the trim of the bag.

Let me reiterate, there was no rough handling of this at all. I've had leather briefcases that have gotten beat up over the years and outside of smudges and smears have held up like champions. To see leather actually "peeling" off on the third day was simply unacceptable, and I am now in process of returning. A shame, because it looks great and has a nice layout on the inside .
on August 10, 2015
Borders are easy to peel. Poor quality on borders. Only six months used.
review image review image
on July 5, 2012
Got this briefcase 1 year ago. Did some immediate travel for business and noticed that the bottom corners were starting to wear. The leather is composite, which you can see because the veneered corners have worn down. To be clear, I have not put this briefcase through any sort of undue stress. It's been in the following places: a car, under an airplane seat, and next to my desk.

I would like to give this product the benefit of the doubt, because of the other positive reviews, but I don't think Samsonite should be using composite leather.

Some pros: It looks quite sharp and I've been complemented on it many times. Also, it's affordable.

Additional con: It's not too roomy. If you put more than a couple folders inside the bag you will not be able to shut it.
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2012
Final Word:
Another excellent case from Samsonite, if you're looking for solid leather, flap over bag, for light duty. It's worth the price and a phenomenal bag for those who know how difficult moving around a crowded commuter vehicle can be.

The Good.
A superb product.

Beautiful leather with extremely taut seams, crisp clasp and wonderful attach points, make this bag one of the best briefcases I've ever owned. It's discrete and well organized, allowing for quick hip access to any of the papers, devices or other such goodies you carry around. A hard interior, beneath the leather lining helps to protect your goods too. This is worth a little leather cleaner and mink oil once a year, to keep its luster and look. Also for road warriors, the most overlooked innovation of an upright handle flap IS included in this design (something not made clear by the product listing).

The Bad (Not really).
Don't try to carry everything; it's blatantly not designed for that.

The case is not designed to carry your entire 1990s/Early2000s office. For me this is a good thing as the less I have to carry the better. If you carry many papers, folders, accessories to the excess of >10lbs I would not suggest this bag, as you will be frustrated with the limited capacity. Also if you are carrying a larger (I believe 15" screens or higher) I would also avoid this case as simply your most valuable tool will not be adequately protected and the well-padded shoulder strap will feel like a massive jagged rock on your shoulder.

The Weird.
The inner laptop portion of the case is sufficiently sized and padded that it retains its shape fresh out of the box with nothing in it. If you're not carrying a laptop, and just need a quick bag, this space makes for an excellent daypack for around urban areas. Nylon interior is nice and easy to clean.
on January 13, 2012
Just received, unpacked, and quickly loaded...VERY NICE!! (Bravo to the packing/shipping department who delivered this within a day of ordering. )

- Combination Briefcase/Laptop Carrier, has both a substantial/wide strap and a carrying handle!
- The leather construction and silver accents make for a quality-looking bag.
- The boxy shape and classic design works well for men and women.
- Adjustable "belt buckle" strap. (At it's shortest setting, the top of the bag comes to my waist and is very comfortable. At 5'3", I don't feel overwhelmed when I carry the bag.)

Regarding storage, I put my wallet and keys in the middle zippered pocket and put a few file folders and a planner in the other dividers. The padded laptop section is big for my MacBook Air (in a Speck case) but that gave me room for my Kindle in it's case. The section's padding isn't too thick and could be used instead to carry more paperwork or personal items. The front panel organizer is typical of most briefcases with small pockets for pens, etc. The back has an outside zippered pocket, as well as an open "pocket" to piggyback onto your luggage handle.

First impressions, I'm very happy with my purchase!!
on January 6, 2012
I had been wanting to buy a nice professional leather bag with a lock on it. After much deliberation, I bought this briefcase and I couldnt be happier. It delivers what it promises. The bag is genuine leather which I love, unlike faux leather bags which usually sell for the same price. Matter of fact I bought a faux leather bag 3 months ago with which I was extremely disappointed. The craftsmanship displays clear attention to quality. The handle and straps are excellent and the bag also has ability to be loaded onto a carry on suitcase in case you travel quite a bit. I found this feature quite useful. My wife did find the bag a bit on the heavier side for her to lift. Something to consider if you are petite of want a very light weight bag.
--------------
Update: I have started using this bag for the last couple of days and thought I would share my experience. The bag is not as roomy as it looks from outside. After a one portfolio folder, one file and one book, the bag is packed completely. In addition, if you need room to keep a scarf, gloves or other things, there is barely any room. I have to literally force the latch to close and fear that it may open while walking. In addition, the belt is not at all helpful to carry this bag.
on March 31, 2013
I don't know if that latch has really clicked locked or not until I lift the case by the handle. It takes a little effort and while you are facing the client still chatting as you wrap up, last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with a latch. Other than that. Nice case.