4.0 out of 5 stars Good light bag for short trips: Updated six months later
Published 14 months ago by PeteEd

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizeable but not really sturdy
I bought this thinking it would be smaller (I guess that's what I get for NOT using a measuring tape) and was delightfully surprised at how large the bag is. I packed for 10 days with room to spare! The bag still fit in the overhead compartment, which was great.

Published 22 months ago by Dingo St. John

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light bag for short trips: Updated six months later, June 25, 2013
I got this two days before heading out for a five day visit to northern Arizona and southern Utah; I brought the bag along during the long car ride, on four plane trips, and two hotels. It was convenient, light weight, easy to access and roll, and easily fit in the overhead compartment of the small commuter plane from Phoenix to Flagstaff. In fact, they were pulling other roll-away bags to check in at the gate, but didn't give mine a second look. Interestingly, it kept things cool in the trunk when I stopped at various desert spots to take photos or stopped for a meal.

One thing that was a bit dicey was the pull out handle; in my rush to close it when boarding the first plane I pushed down and clipped my little finger by mistake. That was my inattention, but I thought it would be a firmer push than it was. On the other hand, it balanced nicely and even "stood up" beside me as I waited for my flights; I think that's more how you pack than anything.

For this trip I packed five short sleeve shirts, one t-shirt, one pair of long pants, underwear and socks, toiletries in a baggie as required by TSA, four CDs, a folder with maps and brochures, a hat, a stand alone GPS device and cords, and my Kindle reader; it all fit easily and without cramming. The smaller top opening was less useful as things would fall out of it unless the bag was laid flat; I only put my everyday essentials in there (suntan lotion, map, etc.). Lots of room!

I take several short trips a year and I will update this after a few more trips to let you know how well it stands up.

-----------------------------------------
December, 2013 update
I have now used this bag on seven trips since this initial one, for a total of 10 flight legs. The bag continues to hold up well, has never had to be checked in at the gate, and has even survived my overstuffing it on one trip and feeling the weight as I lugged it from one end of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport to the other in 20 minutes during my run for a connection. The bag also survived well after being moved by a flight attendant to another section of the plane and jammed between two inflexible rollaways (grrr); but everything worked great when it was freed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizeable but not really sturdy, October 8, 2012

I did not have any trouble with the bag tipping over as some people did, but I did have trouble with the side compartment zipper splitting during the first trip I took with the bag. That's pretty lame, if you ask me. However, I will use the bag again since I bought it. I'll run it into the ground!

Overall, for the price, I'd say it's a good purchase. But it doesn't seem like it's made to last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag.... Perfect for a 4-5 night island getaway, May 5, 2013
DP (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This bag is deceiving, it looks small but its not.

Went on a last trip to Aruba for a week and I did not want to check a bag. I wanted to get in and the airport. This bag was awesome. I over-packed and this bag still fit all my clothes from 3 pair of shoes 5 shorts, 2 pants, about 12 Tshirts and other underwear and accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BAG, August 21, 2013
I read the reviews and ordered it. i am totally shocked how much room this thing has...its insane and very well built! I may order anothe one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and roomy, September 8, 2012
This bag was an exceptional value. It is lightweight yet sturdy and fits in the overhead compartments completely. The only downfall is when you try to leave it in an upright position it falls over. Overall a great piece of luggage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, January 14, 2013
Item meets carryon size restrictions and gives you space to pack your essentials. Great Samsonite quality at a nice price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Light Duty, April 27, 2013
I have an old 22" carryon bag not quite big enough for a two week trip. This Samsonite holds almost twice as much, Does fit in the larger plane's overhead but not the small commuters. It's not fancy with a lot of pockets but does the job well enough

3.0 out of 5 stars it's a little longer than 22 inches, June 18, 2013
This is a lovely bag that is almost entirely soft. Even one end of the "base" can fold a little. Beware that the length from the fully compressed handle to the end of the wheels is about 22 1/2 or maybe even 23, so it would not fit in most airlines carry-one "boxes"

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Bag I Have Ever Bought!, January 7, 2014
I am a big fan of Samsonite Luggage. Much so that I own at least 5 bags from this brand and is all I have used for my travel needs. However, this Andante Wheeled Duffel was a huge disappointment. Just when we got to the airport the handle broke before we were even able to use it, and then we noticed that it had gotten ripped on the side when the bag was not even at full capacity.

I don't recommend this bag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Destroyed The Very First Time I Used It., April 2, 2014
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel (Apparel)
I put this on my wish list, along with the larger model and my daughters purchased them for my birthday back in January. I knew that I would be going to Aruba at the end of March. First of all, the wheels are fixed in place and do not maneuver well. I could live with that. I should have researched it better to select the any direction wheels. The extension handle is made of two hollow metal bars about the thickness of a soda can. I had great difficulty getting the handles out and in. With effort I was able to extend the handle to pull the luggage properly. I noticed within the first 5 minutes through the airport that one of the extension rods already had a kink in it. I checked the large bag in and used the smaller one as a carry on. When I boarded the plane, I could not get the extension handles to retract. Finally, after pushing with all my might, the extension rods retracted and I was able to put it in the overhead. Upon landing in Aruba, I had the same problem again, but finally got the handles to extend. They stayed that that way until I reached the rental car. At that point I could not retract the handle once again so I put the bag in the trunk with the handle extended. On the way home I had the same problem over and over. upon arrival, i could not fully extend the handle once again. It only came up half way. I had to hunch over for about 200 yards to retrieve my vehicle. I had nearly 80 pounds of luggage, so I could not carry the luggage by the handles. by the time I reached my car, I noticed that, because the bag was dragging somewhat, it completely ripped the material at the bottom of the bag clear through. I now have a carry on with a 10" tear across the bottom that cannot be repaired and an extension handle that never worked right from the start. Needless to say, it is too late to return it and I am still in need of a carry on luggage. DONT BUY THIS BAG YOU WILL REGRET IT FOREVER.

Samsonite Luggage 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel