4.0 out of 5 stars Good light bag for short trips: Updated six months later
Published 16 months ago by PeteEd

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizeable but not really sturdy
I bought this thinking it would be smaller (I guess that's what I get for NOT using a measuring tape) and was delightfully surprised at how large the bag is. I packed for 10 days with room to spare! The bag still fit in the overhead compartment, which was great.

Published on October 8, 2012 by Dingo St. John

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light bag for short trips: Updated six months later, June 25, 2013
I got this two days before heading out for a five day visit to northern Arizona and southern Utah; I brought the bag along during the long car ride, on four plane trips, and two hotels. It was convenient, light weight, easy to access and roll, and easily fit in the overhead compartment of the small commuter plane from Phoenix to Flagstaff. In fact, they were pulling other roll-away bags to check in at the gate, but didn't give mine a second look. Interestingly, it kept things cool in the trunk when I stopped at various desert spots to take photos or stopped for a meal.

One thing that was a bit dicey was the pull out handle; in my rush to close it when boarding the first plane I pushed down and clipped my little finger by mistake. That was my inattention, but I thought it would be a firmer push than it was. On the other hand, it balanced nicely and even "stood up" beside me as I waited for my flights; I think that's more how you pack than anything.

For this trip I packed five short sleeve shirts, one t-shirt, one pair of long pants, underwear and socks, toiletries in a baggie as required by TSA, four CDs, a folder with maps and brochures, a hat, a stand alone GPS device and cords, and my Kindle reader; it all fit easily and without cramming. The smaller top opening was less useful as things would fall out of it unless the bag was laid flat; I only put my everyday essentials in there (suntan lotion, map, etc.). Lots of room!

I take several short trips a year and I will update this after a few more trips to let you know how well it stands up.

-----------------------------------------
December, 2013 update
I have now used this bag on seven trips since this initial one, for a total of 10 flight legs. The bag continues to hold up well, has never had to be checked in at the gate, and has even survived my overstuffing it on one trip and feeling the weight as I lugged it from one end of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport to the other in 20 minutes during my run for a connection. The bag also survived well after being moved by a flight attendant to another section of the plane and jammed between two inflexible rollaways (grrr); but everything worked great when it was freed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sizeable but not really sturdy, October 8, 2012

I did not have any trouble with the bag tipping over as some people did, but I did have trouble with the side compartment zipper splitting during the first trip I took with the bag. That's pretty lame, if you ask me. However, I will use the bag again since I bought it. I'll run it into the ground!

Overall, for the price, I'd say it's a good purchase. But it doesn't seem like it's made to last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag.... Perfect for a 4-5 night island getaway, May 5, 2013
DP (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This bag is deceiving, it looks small but its not.

Went on a last trip to Aruba for a week and I did not want to check a bag. I wanted to get in and the airport. This bag was awesome. I over-packed and this bag still fit all my clothes from 3 pair of shoes 5 shorts, 2 pants, about 12 Tshirts and other underwear and accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BAG, August 21, 2013
I read the reviews and ordered it. i am totally shocked how much room this thing has...its insane and very well built! I may order anothe one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and roomy, September 8, 2012
This bag was an exceptional value. It is lightweight yet sturdy and fits in the overhead compartments completely. The only downfall is when you try to leave it in an upright position it falls over. Overall a great piece of luggage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, January 14, 2013
Item meets carryon size restrictions and gives you space to pack your essentials. Great Samsonite quality at a nice price!

3.0 out of 5 stars it's a little longer than 22 inches, June 18, 2013
This is a lovely bag that is almost entirely soft. Even one end of the "base" can fold a little. Beware that the length from the fully compressed handle to the end of the wheels is about 22 1/2 or maybe even 23, so it would not fit in most airlines carry-one "boxes"

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Light Duty, April 27, 2013
I have an old 22" carryon bag not quite big enough for a two week trip. This Samsonite holds almost twice as much, Does fit in the larger plane's overhead but not the small commuters. It's not fancy with a lot of pockets but does the job well enough

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very durable, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel (Apparel)
I took this on one trip and only used it on the flights out and back. I won't say I was "gentle" with the item, but I was definitely careful since I knew it wasn't a particularly durable item. However, the item didn't hold up to this single trip. Somehow the back of the bag (bottom if being rolled) got ripped in a couple of places. The types of rips seem to indicate that it wasn't done while rolling, but I could be wrong. I don't ever remember it snagging on anything, so I have no explanation of how it happened. Also, one of the plastic runners on the bottom cracked nearly in half. Once this happened I inspected them a little closer and discovered that they are pretty much hollow and thus made of very thin, hard plastic. At this point I'll probably take the runner off and try to fill it with some sort of glue and put some "tough tape" on the rips. This should make it usable again, but I doubt I'll take the chance of using it on another plane trip.

Some other details:

1) Of the three times I used the bag as a carry-on I was stopped once and questioned about the size. After I explained that the bag could be squashed and only looked that way because of how the items had settled I was allowed to take it on. I had stuffed the bag almost completely fully when this happened (it was the return trip and I'd picked up a couple of gifts which added bulk). For this reason alone I'd think twice about trying to take it on a plane trip.

2) The telescoping handle functioned well and seemed like it would hold up to reasonable use.

3) The side pocket is a little small and sort of oddly shaped. Because it sits over the handle it doesn't extend the full height of the bag. This made sense once I thought about it, but I was a little dissapointed at the size.

I realize this was a pretty inexpensive bag, but I sort of expected higher quality from Samsonite. I'll definitely choose Samsonite with caution in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars ✔ Solid Product, Nice Comparments, a bit "Tipsy", July 8, 2014
This review is from: Samsonite Luggage 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel (Apparel)
Length:: 1:22 Mins

Good product, nicely constructed. Yes, it can tip over.

Samsonite Luggage 22 Inch Andante Wheeled Duffel